What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Ok, no cheating here, just my same boring shit. Buuut, here's where I'm at with this. foam in the back (a smaller amount than previously) and no counterweight up front. I really liked how the fly like this I had tied earlier turned out in the water. On the black one, instead of standard bucktail underneath the head, I took 4 clumps of 3 separate colors of the backside of bucktail and packed it in pretty tightly plus a double dose of dubbing for the head (purple on both sides first, then NMF black/red up top and FTD black underneath (FTD has way less flash and I wanted to go a bit more understated on this--at least for what the fish typically sees). On the sucker/pikeminnow pattern, I only did 2 clumps of backside bucktail and a single bit of dubbing (top and bottom) for the head. Anyway, sorry for the same boring shit, but also thanks for being my audience for my thought process (like you have a choice if you're reading this! :LOL:

BXVPts9.jpg

CZov7Km.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A couple of smaller clousers patterns that have been getting eaten lately.
I think the bottom ginger color does a good job of imitating the backs of chum fry.
The belly is palmer chenille in size small.
Pearl gray on the top and tan on the bottom.
SF

D8D9C0A3-8469-4B96-AC5B-ABE513823E8A.jpeg

Scottp

Legend
Root Beer Mini Muddler

52046527738_39d2ea6c41_c.jpg

52046475331_cfc4b8a6fa_c.jpg

52046475286_505443f548_c.jpg

Started life as an Elk Hair Caddis but the pronghorn looked much better muddled so the hackle and shoulder are a bit undersized.

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
rib - xsmall wire gold
abdomen - Krystal Flash root beer
thorax - Ice Dub golden brown
hackle - grizzly dyed golden brown (2 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Tan/2 cups water)
shoulder - sharptail dyed golden brown
collar/head - pronghorn dyed brown (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Dambuster-1080.jpg

Dambuster

Hook Mustad 9671 or equivalent, size 8-12
Thread - Black
Tag - Fluorescent wool or antron yarn
Body - Peacock herl
Mid hackle – Brown rooster
Thorax - Peacock herl
Front hackle – Brown rooster

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok, no cheating here, just my same boring shit. Buuut, here's where I'm at with this. foam in the back (a smaller amount than previously) and no counterweight up front. I really liked how the fly like this I had tied earlier turned out in the water. On the black one, instead of standard bucktail underneath the head, I took 4 clumps of 3 separate colors of the backside of bucktail and packed it in pretty tightly plus a double dose of dubbing for the head (purple on both sides first, then NMF black/red up top and FTD black underneath (FTD has way less flash and I wanted to go a bit more understated on this--at least for what the fish typically sees). On the sucker/pikeminnow pattern, I only did 2 clumps of backside bucktail and a single bit of dubbing (top and bottom) for the head. Anyway, sorry for the same boring shit, but also thanks for being my audience for my thought process (like you have a choice if you're reading this! :LOL:

BXVPts9.jpg

CZov7Km.jpg
You go man
Like a “Fly Scientist “
This is great stuff

Scottp

Legend
Root Beer Stimulator (Lough style)

52047488792_098098d885_c.jpg

52047488762_93d21c69a9_c.jpg

52048781319_05521af093_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
tail - pronghorn dyed brown (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water)
rib - xsmall wire gold
abdomen - Krystal Flash root beer
body hackle - grizzly dyed golden brown (2 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Tan/2 cups water)
wing - pronghorn dyed brown
thorax - Ice Dub golden brown
shoulder - sharptail dyed golden brown
front hackle - grizzly dyed golden brown

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Irish-Buck-1080.jpg

Irish Buck

Streamer

Hook - Mustad 9671, 9672 or equivalent
Thread - Black
Tail - Green hackle tips
Ribbing - Gold oval tinsel
Body - Green floss
Wing - Green over white bucktail
UV Resin coated head

Flies - J Edson Leonard

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

BXVPts9.jpg

CZov7Km.jpg
These are good man. I'm a musky rookie, but those 2 general colors are already my "confidence" flies. I really like the added green to the black one. If those don't catch musky well then....that's on the musky. :LOL:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
These are good man. I'm a musky rookie, but those 2 general colors are already my "confidence" flies. I really like the added green to the black one. If those don't catch musky well then....that's on the musky. :LOL:
For some reason, my most productive flies on any given year have either the green or the pink on the sides. Why not add both?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@clarkman
Hey Clarkman
Do you use weight to keel all or some of your flies. If so - how do you decide which ones?
I’ve found that with the jerk type fly the fly kicks, rolls on its side, looks at me with the one eye, then rights itself. Looks great swimming but I haven’t tried them on the big pond yet.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Also- I put a body tube 1/4” right behind the flattened head . Really holds its shape and profile. Lighter than a bulkhead and pretty easy to tie

RichS

Life of the Party
A floating dragon nymph. Fairly straightforward and uses 5 of my confidence materials - marabou, deer hair, foam eyes, rubber legs and hares ear dubbing.
DSCN2575.JPG
DSCN2577.JPG
Hook: Daiichi 1720 #6
Tail, marabou short
Body: olive deer spun and clipped to shape
legs: silicone legs olive/black
Eyes- black foam cylinder
head- olive hare's ear

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
@clarkman
Hey Clarkman
Do you use weight to keel all or some of your flies. If so - how do you decide which ones?
I’ve found that with the jerk type fly the fly kicks, rolls on its side, looks at me with the one eye, then rights itself. Looks great swimming but I haven’t tried them on the big pond yet.
on some I do. Just throw in some lead eyes partway up the shank on the underside. But, I've also noticed that most of my flies right themselves anyway....just slower.