NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

Xoxo

I am now reading The Lincoln Highway. We chose it for book club. It’s a thick book and SO good! Anyone else read it?

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Book 2 of "The-Survivalist" series by A. American.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I pretty much just read fiction these days. Fantasy and historical fiction. Just started this one. Same author as Saxon Tales (adapted to tv as Last Kingdom)

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I go back and forth between binging on Netflix/Prime/Apple and reading.

When I'm in a reading phase its not unusual to go through several book a week, so I guess I tend to read a lot. That has always made it challenging for me to home in on a favorite book. That said I do have an all-time fave: Winter's Tale by Mark Halperin. The NYT Book Review (front page) said this:

Is it not astonishing that a work so rooted in fantasy, filled with narrative high jinks and comic flights, stands forth centrally as a moral discourse? It is indeed....I find myself nervous to a degree I don't recall in my past as a reviewer about failing the work, inadequately displaying it brilliance.

I reread this every year or so and my challenge is always to slow down and savor the writing.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just picked up an out of print copy of Silent Seasons, which is a compilation of 21 fishing stories by a bunch of outdamnstanding writers. The book was edited and illustrated by Russell Chatham - my all time favorite outdoor writer.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just picked up Facing the Mountain by Daniel James Brown, author of The Boys in the Boat. True story of the 442 regimental combat team, one of the most decorated units of WWII; comprised of Nisei, the 2nd generation Japanese Americans who volunteered out the the internment camps. Looking forward to it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Just picked up Facing the Mountain by Daniel James Brown, author of The Boys in the Boat. True story of the 442 regimental combat team, one of the most decorated units of WWII; comprised of Nisei, the 2nd generation Japanese Americans who volunteered out the the internment camps. Looking forward to it.
Daniel James Brown is a great writer and gifted researcher. I'd like to say I enjoyed the book; it was fascinating, I couldn't put it down.

Xoxo

I checked out The Lincoln Highway as an ebook from the library. I got a notice that it was due in two days. I was only 65 percent thought, which is still a lot of pages to read since it’s a very thick book. So i tried to tear through it to finish it but one of those two days i had a neighbor’s memorial and was there for five hours. I managed to get up to 85% before it disappeared from my iPad. So i went out and bought a hard copy. I don’t normally like even owning hardbacks but i really love this book and knew even if i had finished it i would have gone out and bought a copy anyway.

Some books you just have to own.

I like Russ Chatham's books as well; "Dark Waters" and "The Angler's Coast" are definitely worth reading but may be somewhat hard to find. While growing up, we lived about 12 miles from Russ. My Dad used to love to flyfish for steelhead and I remember him fishing with Russ during the late 50's and early 60's. Of course, back then, there were still good numbers of steelhead in the Northern Calif. streams. It was fun to fish and later read about those streams and other places we both fished. Another author, previously mentioned in this thread and obviously very well known and respected, is R. Haig-Brown.
"A River Never Sleeps" is a classic but all of his books are very well written. Another favorite of mine is "The Longest Silence" by Tom McGuane.

dflett68

Steelhead

and listening to:

and everything on scribd from Gierach, especially the stuff narrated by Mike Chamberlain

I thought those Patrick Rothfuss books were really good!
My wife and I are craving the third in the series so bad! I’m sure there are many like us. We check for updates every 3 months or so, but haven’t seen anything really promising. That will be one I won’t be able to put down.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I am now reading The Lincoln Highway. We chose it for book club. It’s a thick book and SO good! Anyone else read it?
Finished it a month ago. It was good but I don't like that much tension. I got it expecting it to be a simple two brothers exploring the country story.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Just reread my side of the mountain
I'd love to live in a tree and rely fully on myself for survival.

Reactions: Zak