It's a jungle out there!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So yesterday I had a little self induced mechanical issue with the motor on my boat. I worked on it a bit and discovered the problem but was hard pressed to fix it on the spot in a snow storm. I was downstream from my launch a mile or so and in a bit of a pickle. After an hour or so and a phone call to a friend I had a solid backup plan B for getting off the river if need be. About then another sled come up the river and starts boon dogging their way down. As they came along side I mentioned I was having trouble and could I get a tow back up to Rockport. They refused.

I know this boat as I've seen it before on the river many times. That's all you'll get out of me about them other than to say refusing to help another boater they banked some bad karma.

I managed to get the boat going with some yankee ingenuity and a permanent fix is on the way.

Be prepared to help yourself 'cause you never know when you'll meet a couple of ass holes.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Absolute scum.

There is zero excuse to not help a boater on the water as long as it doesn't put you in danger, and even then there are always other ways to help. It's sickening that there are boaters out there who would refuse a call for help.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree with the comments about not helping another boater. About 10 years ago we were floating from Mack’s Canyon to the mouth of the Deschutes. We entered Gordon Ridge Rapids and a sled pulled out behind us and followed through the rapid at idle. I couldn’t figure out what he was doing until we got through the rapid and camped at Wagonblast. The next morning, he asked if we could carry some of his gear because he hit a rock and damaged the intake to his outboard motor. We took what we could, but I didn’t want to overload my boat going through the last rapids on that stretch. He somehow managed to repair the intake enough to get the sled on plane and made it through the rapids. Returned his gear at the launch and he thanked us profusely.

Smalma

Life of the Party
WW -
Pissed to hear that you became a victim to a selfish angler and their lack of consideration for their fellow anglers. Unfortunately this type of behavior has become more common. I grew up in a culture that in such situation it was expected that one would help out as best they can with the underlying assumption the karma points gained would be cashed in if needed.

Fortunately, it still is the case that the majority of the anglers will still help out which means that if the jerks in this case ever need help they would likely receive undeserved help from their fellow angler(s).

Curt

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
They miss 20 minutes or so of boondogging time to help out another angler. Unbelievable how some people can be these days. If you boat long enough, you’ll eventually need help. Karma is a bitch.
SF

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
This has been stuck in my mind since I read it last night. I just can't get over it. Such bullshit.

I dont care how good the fishing is, you help a fellow boater. PERIOD!

SF is right. Karma is a bitch. They will get theirs.

Until then I hope they step on a Lego and stub their toe every single time they get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So the miss 20 minutes or so of boondogging time to helped out another angler. Unbelievable how some people can be these days. If you boat long enough, you’ll eventually need help. Karma is a bitch.
SF

Welcome to Washington steelhead fishing. The worst of all angling cultures. Only rivaled be the salmon in new York.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
So yesterday I had a little self induced mechanical issue with the motor on my boat. I worked on it a bit and discovered the problem but was hard pressed to fix it on the spot in a snow storm. I was downstream from my launch a mile or so and in a bit of a pickle. After an hour or so and a phone call to a friend I had a solid backup plan B for getting off the river if need be. About then another sled come up the river and starts boon dogging their way down. As they came along side I mentioned I was having trouble and could I get a tow back up to Rockport. They refused.

I know this boat as I've seen it before on the river many times. That's all you'll get out of me about them other than to say refusing to help another boater they banked some bad karma.

I managed to get the boat going with some yankee ingenuity and a permanent fix is on the way.

Be prepared to help yourself 'cause you never know when you'll meet a couple of ass holes.
That's not acceptable...I've towed my share of boats back to the ramp in HI...including during a money fishing tournament that basically took us out of the running due to an 11 mile tow...

Everyone I know that has a boat would do the same thing...

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Scum of the earth right there. F' 'em.

every single time they get up in the middle of the night to pee.
I hope they don't wake up but still pee every night . . .

JohnB

Smolt
Not being a jet boat angler how involved is towing a boat in a river? It hasn't been much of a deal for me in the saltchuck but I assume it's a bit more involved in the river?

EB590

Steelhead
Not helping a boater is such a POS move.

Several years back myself and a guide with two female clients were the only two boats on a river in ny and I couldn't get away from him. At one point he passed me when I was anchored and anchored 100' downstream of me. Then he pulled is anchor and rowed back upstream towards me. I was pissed, pulled anchor and low holed him, anchored in a pod of risers he was casting at. Total asshole move on my part, and not something im proud of, had done before, or will do again. Then he got really pissed, rowed next to me and said you're an asshole you know better I would not do that to you etc. He mother fd me pretty good. Ill give him credit, he knew I low holed him on purpose, but didnt see anything wrong rowing upstream through risers i was casting at. I toldI'm going to row for 15 minutes then anchor, let me spread out if you catch me pass me and give me some space. There were rising fish throughout the entire river, it was an incredible day. He responded fuck off and dont ever low hole me again LOL. The next spot I anchored I ended up getting my anchor stuck. 45 minutes or so later he pulls up sees me and my buddy fucking around with the anchor, and asks if our anchor is stuck. He tied a rope to our anchor line and pulled it free with his boat. We both laughed and went on with our day. That guy obviously didn't like me and after our back and forth had zero reason to help me, but he did because it's what you're supposed to do.

Otter

Steelhead
WW, that is quite horrific. As an ocean boater (including commerical work) for many years, I hope there are "consequences" for that so-called boater.

At sea, there is an international legal obligation to help other boaters:
"the International Maritime Organization (IMO), which regulates the shipping industry, requires mariners to help boaters in trouble." (from: https://www.sealaw.com/maritime-law-cruise-ships-and-assistance-for-distressed-boaters/)

I guess that doesn't apply on inland waters.
Anti-social behaviour seems to have really ramped up since the start of the pandemic, at least it has here in B.C.