Streamlining my boat options - NRS Slipstream 96??

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey Creatch'r, I have what Catchercraft (RIP) used to call the SeaRun Bull. Basically a Maxxon 10.5' raft with a nice frame with anchor, rod holders, standup bar etc. The selling feature for me was very stable but I could fit it inflated into the bed of my pickup. Wanted it for similar rough launches and easy portaging. Great for 1 person, definitely doable for 2 (although I don't think I'd want 2 full sized humans in Class III + whitewater). The next iteration of the Slipstream sounds like it will be similar size.
Agreed. It's what I have. Take it out solo and with a second person. Price was reasonable also. Made locally also (minus the raft itself obviously)

Think it's a solid option in this class of raft.

20230318_150849.jpg

DKL

Steelhead
I’m debating that boat right now but I’m afraid it might be too tight for 2 anglers?
Not sure exactly what you want to do with it but I can go with another and my Brittany in my striker and the front seat angler can fish no problem as I row. Would be tough for the rower to fish from this boat, so if that is your hope I don’t think this is the boat for you. Although I haven’t used my slipstream yet, I did assemble it and I think it has a tad more room than my striker. I also think only having essentially one bar going across at each seat seems to open up space as the striker has 2 bars at each seat. I realize the slipstream has the foot bar up front too, but it is right up against the bar holding the seat, so there is more space. I hope this information is useful.

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Those prices for the new Slipstream are outrageous. 96 is 1/3 of the price of the new 106. The only notable upgrade besides size was an upgraded floor which apparently drafts better.. That doesn’t warrant that price.

If you know someone, NRS is giving out codes for friends and Family. Well worth if if you want to pick up a raft from NRS.

Correction: forgot to add the rower package on the 106, it’s actually $7,350..
that site is in Canadian dollars, 7350 would be 5,500 USD

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not sure exactly what you want to do with it but I can go with another and my Brittany in my striker and the front seat angler can fish no problem as I row. Would be tough for the rower to fish from this boat, so if that is your hope I don’t think this is the boat for you. Although I haven’t used my slipstream yet, I did assemble it and I think it has a tad more room than my striker. I also think only having essentially one bar going across at each seat seems to open up space as the striker has 2 bars at each seat. I realize the slipstream has the foot bar up front too, but it is right up against the bar holding the seat, so there is more space. I hope this information is useful.
One of the benefits of adding a frame to my Striker was the added room. The the single cross bar for the rower seat definitely frees up some space.
I still use the stock 2 cross bars setup up front since I actually like the way it, coupled with the frame cross bar, holds my old 36qt Igloo in place.
This also helped me move the seat back just a tad. I'm 6'3", a lot of that in my back. Clearance with my hands and the front seat is not a problem. Definitely no problem having the guy in front fish while rowing. It can be a bit sluggish in the heavier stuff with 2 dudes. The frame helped that a lot so I would think the Slipstream should react pretty well.

Here's my Striker with the frame. I don't use the inflatable lean bar unless we're fishing hard out of the boat. For swinging or wade fishing I leave it off for ease of entry & exit. I also don't use that foot bar you see in this pic. I just use the cooler. And the heavy fatigue pad keeps the floor safe from my studs.
20230427_140430_HDR~2 (1).jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
can confirm that those Striker's are great little boats to fish out of sans full frame (buddy and I fished the Williamson R last summer in his and it was a great little boat for that type of stuff) but I really like the options you have with the frame.

Landlocked

Steelhead
One of the benefits of adding a frame to my Striker was the added room. The the single cross bar for the rower seat definitely frees up some space.
I still use the stock 2 cross bars setup up front since I actually like the way it, coupled with the frame cross bar, holds my old 36qt Igloo in place.
This also helped me move the seat back just a tad. I'm 6'3", a lot of that in my back. Clearance with my hands and the front seat is not a problem. Definitely no problem having the guy in front fish while rowing. It can be a bit sluggish in the heavier stuff with 2 dudes. The frame helped that a lot so I would think the Slipstream should react pretty well.

Here's my Striker with the frame. I don't use the inflatable lean bar unless we're fishing hard out of the boat. For swinging or wade fishing I leave it off for ease of entry & exit. I also don't use that foot bar you see in this pic. I just use the cooler. And the heavy fatigue pad keeps the floor safe from my studs.
View attachment 95923
Sky, are you using the SGG Cataracts on the Striker? I’ve got the KBO’s with the blades like yours. Cataract and one other raft shop told me I’ll snap the KBO’s if I add a rigid from to my striker.

Since I’m selling mine, (after pricing out frame parts from NRS and figuring I’d just get a slipstream) I’m not too motivated about buying another set of sticks for a boat that seldom ever gets used.

I just like having it for a second platform, if folks come into town and we’ve got 4 guys total plus dog and coolers. Sounds like my Yeti 45’s will not fit under the stock front seat setup.

Like one poster said, never a perfect boat. Would love to add a frame, for rigidity and for a better anchor system than the Scotty, which looks like it’s ok for Stillwater or just gravel bars, but not current, but not at the NRS parts pricing.

BTW, this boat has never been afflicted with a purple w sticker @Stonedfish 😀

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sky, are you using the SGG Cataracts on the Striker? I’ve got the KBO’s with the blades like yours. Cataract and one other raft shop told me I’ll snap the KBO’s if I add a rigid from to my striker.

Since I’m selling mine, (after pricing out frame parts from NRS and figuring I’d just get a slipstream) I’m not too motivated about buying another set of sticks for a boat that seldom ever gets used.

I just like having it for a second platform, if folks come into town and we’ve got 4 guys total plus dog and coolers. Sounds like my Yeti 45’s will not fit under the stock front seat setup.

Like one poster said, never a perfect boat. Would love to add a frame, for rigidity and for a better anchor system than the Scotty, which looks like it’s ok for Stillwater or just gravel bars, but not current, but not at the NRS parts pricing.

BTW, this boat has never been afflicted with a purple w sticker @Stonedfish 😀
Hi there,
I also have the Cataract KBO 2-piece Oars (7.5'). My blades are the Mini Cutthroat. I like them. Having put them through hell a few times before I had the frame, I'm pretty confident I won't break one with the frame. And the reason is because I actually have fewer hard digs/pulls when using the frame than when frameless. The frame makes the boat quicker so I'm not behind as much, which equals fewer hard digs. I do carry 1 stock aluminum oar as a spare just in case.

Understood that the fixed frame adds more weight and makes the connection more rigid, but I feel confident for the water I hit. I stick with class 2 or less. Stuff like Deschutes (no Wapinitia or Whitehorse for me), Yakima, Klickitat, Skagit, etc. If I was hitting class 3+ stuff then yeah, I'd probably opt for the stronger oars. The Slipstream is 130 lbs, which is probably about 10-15 lbs more than my framed Striker. So I guess consider that too.

FYI- There's actually a review on the NRS Slipstream 96 page where the guy is unhappy with the big oars that came in the deluxe package. His words:
"Trying to sell them and buying some 7' or 7.5' Cataract KBO's with Mini Cutthroat blades(which is what this rig should've been sold with in the first place)"

If it were me with the water I fish...I'm sticking with the KBOs and see how they do. And, as always, carry a spare. I've seen plenty of good reviews of framed 96 rafts with KBOs on them.

Good luck! Those are sweet little rigs!

MT406

Steelhead
Check out the rafting forum (Mountainbuzz.com) you’ll see most recommend 8’ oars for a 48” frame. I took that NRS 96 review into consideration, but that was the only review I could find that suggested a different length other then the 8’ oars.

Ended up ordering the 8’ Sawyer 2 piece Polecats and paired with NRS Helix blades. They appear to be a good comprise compared to Sawyer’s Shoal blades. I’ll give an update once I get them on the water.

I called Cataract for an oar recommendation. The rep said she would recommend the SGG over the KBO for the 96, which is odd since that’s what the package comes with.

Last edited:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Agree on the Cataract KBOs - I have the MiniMag blades on mine and have been very happy with them on my framed 10.5' raft. Never heard anyone warning they might break on a framed boat and have had plenty of leverage when I needed to pull hard to avoid a rootwad or other river obstruction. Not putting it through any serious whitewater (Class 4+) though. Nothing about being careful on framed boats on the Cataract website either? I wonder why the reps are now recommending against them. o_O

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Agree on the Cataract KBOs - I have the MiniMag blades on mine and have been very happy with them on my framed 10.5' raft. Never heard anyone warning they might break on a framed boat and have had plenty of leverage when I needed to pull hard to avoid a rootwad or other river obstruction. Not putting it through any serious whitewater (Class 4+) though. Nothing about being careful on framed boats on the Cataract website either? I wonder why the reps are now recommending against them. o_O
Probably because SGGs are more $$. ;)

Landlocked

Steelhead
Well, I waited too long on the Slipstream on clearance, so still have the Striker. Put it up for sale a month ago with a bunch of the upgrades (2 rod holders, anchor favor, 2-side bags, 2-sets of oars, new super pump, brand new Aire boat bag, anchor etc…for 2700 and no bites. Realize it’s not the best time of year for a boat to sell.

With money tight, was just hoping to offset the delux 9’6” cost. But appears I’ll be satisfied with my frameless striker!

Sky, I appreciate all the info!

jeradjames

Steelhead
I picked up my raft yesterday but I'm still trying to figure out which oars/blades to get. The guys at Gig Harbor Fly Shop were apparently running the 96 with 7 foot oars which seems small compared to the 8 foot setup the deluxe package came with. I will be buying a spare as well and super confused as a beginner as there's conflicting information and few people running different setups. If you guys were a complete beginner what would be your move? Might be a dumb question but would it be easy to attach a one piece spare to the side of the raft as well instead of opting for a 2 piece setup and stowing it on the raft? Thanks for any advice. I'm 6 foot and 170lbs if that matters at all.

MT406

Steelhead
Too many factors to consider. 7ft seems very small, unless they are running in very skinny water perhaps? Check your local raft spot and see if you can demo / rent 7ft and 8ft oar. Otherwise, it’s going be trial and error.

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We sort of covered this above, but here's a little more perspective. I'm sure @MT406 will be able to give some great input after a couple trips.

Looks like the Slipstream 96 is 1" bigger tube than my Striker. So only 1/2" taller in theory. They put 8" oar stands on the frame. I think my oar stands are only 6" So maybe 2.5" taller than my Striker oar stand to oar contact off the water.
The Slipstream is also 3" wider than the Striker. So 1.5" wider on each side. That's not much of a diff there.
I'm 6'3" with average arms and the 7.5' Cataract KBO 2-piece Oars work well. I've never noticed or thought "These oars are too short." The KBOs are, in fact, 7.5' long, which is 90". The stock aluminum oars that came with my Striker are only 85" long.

Having said that, I trust NRS to outfit it with the correct length oars so if they're putting 8' oars I would think that would be good. If it were me, I'd go with 7.5 based on Gig Harbor running 7s and a review from a seemingly experienced rower complaining about the 8'. But who knows.
The other thing to consider, these boats are meant to get you into tight stuff. Gig Harbor might be running 7s because of tight water. Might be good to ask them why they are running 7s. I know on the upper Klick and Yakima there are plenty of shoots and dumps where my 7.5 oars seem really long. Those shoots where you just have to be going the right direction and then tuck it and go. My 2 cents.

I carry a stocker as spare. I just break it down and it's tucked on the right side of the floor. Never seems to be in the way and can't come undone from the outside or get smashed by a rock.

jeradjames

Steelhead
Too many factors to consider. 7ft seems very small, unless they are running in very skinny water perhaps? Check your local raft spot and see if you can demo / rent 7ft and 8ft oar. Otherwise, it’s going be trial and error.
Thank you, I'm going to demo some at Red's soon.
We sort of covered this above, but here's a little more perspective. I'm sure @MT406 will be able to give some great input after a couple trips.

Looks like the Slipstream 96 is 1" bigger tube than my Striker. So only 1/2" taller in theory. They put 8" oar stands on the frame. I think my oar stands are only 6" So maybe 2.5" taller than my Striker oar stand to oar contact off the water.
The Slipstream is also 3" wider than the Striker. So 1.5" wider on each side. That's not much of a diff there.
I'm 6'3" with average arms and the 7.5' Cataract KBO 2-piece Oars work well. I've never noticed or thought "These oars are too short." The KBOs are, in fact, 7.5' long, which is 90". The stock aluminum oars that came with my Striker are only 85" long.

Having said that, I trust NRS to outfit it with the correct length oars so if they're putting 8' oars I would think that would be good. If it were me, I'd go with 7.5 based on Gig Harbor running 7s and a review from a seemingly experienced rower complaining about the 8'. But who knows.
The other thing to consider, these boats are meant to get you into tight stuff. Gig Harbor might be running 7s because of tight water. Might be good to ask them why they are running 7s. I know on the upper Klick and Yakima there are plenty of shoots and dumps where my 7.5 oars seem really long. Those shoots where you just have to be going the right direction and then tuck it and go. My 2 cents.

I carry a stocker as spare. I just break it down and it's tucked on the right side of the floor. Never seems to be in the way and can't come undone from the outside or get smashed by a rock.
Thanks for the detailed response @skyriver this will help. Appreciate it!

Jeff Sturm

Just Hatched
I picked up my raft yesterday but I'm still trying to figure out which oars/blades to get. The guys at Gig Harbor Fly Shop were apparently running the 96 with 7 foot oars which seems small compared to the 8 foot setup the deluxe package came with. I will be buying a spare as well and super confused as a beginner as there's conflicting information and few people running different setups. If you guys were a complete beginner what would be your move? Might be a dumb question but would it be easy to attach a one piece spare to the side of the raft as well instead of opting for a 2 piece setup and stowing it on the raft? Thanks for any advice. I'm 6 foot and 170lbs if that matters at all.
For what it's worth, I've only assembled my 96 Deluxe and sat in it in the garage, but 8'ers felt about right to me. I think that 7'ers would feel too small. I'm 5'10".

Yes, could def stow a 1 piece onto side of frame...might be janky, but doable.

DKL

Steelhead
I’ve been using 8’ sawyer oars on my striker and plan on using them for my slipstream too. I’ve never felt like they were too long or problematic in any way. I’m 6’1” and I’m also far from a pro, so those in the know may have good reasons for shorter oars, but never been an issue for me.