2024 Fishing Aspirations

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spend a week swinging for fall Kings with a friend who lives in between two coastal rivers he has dialed, for which I have been sworn to no names, no pics. When he calls, I will be on the road the next day.
Put more time on the Metolius, a river I have only dabbled in.
As many trips as possible to that lake where big Browns smash beetles and ants in the shallows.
A planned multi-day float on the Big D with my son, his first.
Join my friend in Half Moon Bay on his harbor berthed Grady White, trolling for Kings..last year was excellent.

Last edited:

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
  • More time on the water, of course. I retired last year and somehow that didn't really translate into more days fishing.
  • I need to find more local fisheries, as I'm a solid 2 1/2 hours to trout water. Local means warmwater fishing, but the river behind my house has LMB, SMB, Walleye, Sauger, Northern Pike, bluegill, carp, and who knows what else.
  • I will try one completely new place, likely not too far from home (which is north of Chicago): Black Hills, Michigan UP, Au Sable are top candidates.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
1. Complete the 4-rod car-top rod vault I’m building so I don't have to break rods in half to travel anymore. Will make it easier to fish more.
IMG_3182.jpeg
Update 12/28:
IMG_3338.jpeg
Edit 1/3/24:
IMG_0381.jpg

Update 1/7/24:
IMG_3489.jpeg

Update 2/17: fitting ends and top to bottom
IMG_3939.jpeg
IMG_3940.jpeg

2/19:
IMG_3952.jpeg

2/22:
73034282611__26BE1623-7108-4769-A691-AE0C65960D9A.jpeg

2. Build rod tubes for every rod.
IMG_2836.jpeg

3. Hit the Mother's Day hatch on the D for the first time in twelve years.

4. Catch a blue- or yellow-fin on the fly.

5. Multi-Day Float the John Day with my kids.

5.5 Catch bass bigger than my hand.

6. Fish more places more often.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
1. Complete the 4-rod car-top rod vault I’m building so I don't have to break rods in half to travel anymore. Will make it easier to fish more.
View attachment 96632
View attachment 96633

stunning rod cases..wow
talk about shop envy

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
If we get a spring skagit/Sauk CNR season everything else is just a bonus.

More fishing with my dad is the only other thing on my mind and hopefully I get more days rowing him down the river. He’s getting older and his arthritic hands are making it tough on him, but he still gets it done. Looking forward to more of those memories.

Zak

Legend
View attachment 96632
View attachment 96633

Wow, you've got amazing ways with wood!

Zak

Legend
My New Year's resolution is to get to the Sound more often. I'm so close to North Sound beaches and I hardly ever go. My goal is to at least walk around on a PS beach once a week. I'm making a small beach fishing kit to keep in car, which will hopefully help motivate me.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Take my buddy Dr. Magill to the Fall River (California). Also want to hit the Big D, Silver Creek and the Yak.
Fall was a fave go to for coupla decades, used to stay at Rick's Lodge, now the Spinner Lodge, to fish the Hex hatch.
Same years used to stay at the now closed (in private hands) lodge on Ahjumawi Lava Springs, headwaters to Tule River/Fall River. U-boats in that crystal clear lake.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Off to Chubut Argentina in February and March, the Green in Utah late May again with hopefully a couple PNW locations before July on our annual 8-10 week 8K mile travel itinerary before the summer doldrums set in. Hope to get to WVa this year on the New River and practice some of @clarkman combat fishing for muskies.