2024 Fishing Aspirations

MarshRat

Steelhead
Any fishing-related goals or plans for 2024?

New species, new personal best, new destination, new technique? Maybe you already have something scheduled that you're looking forward to?

My goal is a flood tide redfish out of my own boat. Bought the boat mid-summer, wrenched on it for a few weeks, had it running for one flood tide before the seasons changed. Continuing to fish through the winter, but no more flood tides until Mar-April.

What do you have your sights on?

Happy New Year!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't even thought about it yet-I'll just take what old age gives me. It will be my 73rd year of having a fly rod in my hand and I'm hoping to try some new water. I will be fishing with the usual suspects-Krusty on a mountain lake for cutthroats and a general regs lake for big rainbows, Krusty and East Side Scott on a zipper lips lake for huge rainbows, East Side Scott and I pushing boats into a walk-in lake for some big hot rainbows, Freestone Sue fishing our favorite mountain stream for native cutts plus any water within 50 miles that holds fish! With any luck at all I will be able to fish with the Okonogan gang, Roper, Salzer, Islander and Lockhart. In between the Obscure Lakes Program will try to ferret out some General Regs water that produces decent trout but whatever we find will remain obscure.

Finally, anyone that visits will be taken to the Pend Oreille River for an evening of smallmouth bass fishing. This year I took the wife of one of my long time engineering buddies to the river and she absolutely hammered the fish. Northern and Fishing Girl also fished it with me in June and in October an old fishing buddy from the mid 80's fished with me again after over 20 years and hit a seam that was alive with fish and even caught a big walleye!

Some local lakes often produce large numbers of cutts that seem to run in the 11'' range but frequent holdovers up to around 15'' make for good sport on real light fly rods and at only 15 minutes away are always fun. So there is enough to do to keep me occupied and I have to spend some time trying to sell my place and get off of the Frozen Tundra for good. Every year could be my last now so I treasure the outings I do have, especially with friends.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
To be able to get out again. Lawn casting ain't getting it done.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I’m hoping to simply rekindle the enjoyment I’d gotten from flogging the water and tying flies. This seems to have waned over the last couple years so I’m gonna give it another go and maybe make a new friend or two 👍

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Locally, mostly more of the same. Currently, it looks like I’ll be retiring at the end of May, and will have to find *some* way to fill my free time. I have a few new high lakes on my to-do list, and will probably add others. Go do some exploring with @Zak. Fish the dry side a bit. Heck, maybe even look up grandpa Tom in SE Washington; that would be awesome.
I’ll be in Loreto again this year, but later than past visits; end of March. I hope to fish Mag Bay with my brother again, and with warmer conditions, have it live up to expectations. That and a Yellowtail on the fly. ‘Probably visit friends in my homeland, New York, and fish some local creeks.
That’s a start…..

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Besides albacore (duh), thinking I might give Columbia River sockeye a shot. At least if there's a good run. Seems like they'd be a good flyrod target since they tend to run very close to the bank. With my luck I'd be fishing a 7wt and hook a 30# springer.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have a lake Bull/Mac fly? I'd like to check the two off my list. Need a pattern to get deep and act like an injured koke. Possibly using the same fly for ling cod.

jeradjames

Steelhead
As I’m just getting started I’m still wide eyed and have my eyes on way too many things. My main focus will be continuing to fish my backyard fishery, the eastern portion of the North Sound, and learning about the nearby rivers in Snohomish and Skagit County. I just bought a raft so I plan on learning the sticks and heading down the Yakima/Cle Elum, Stilly, Skagit, and a trip or two to the North Fork CDA and the St. Joe with a friend who lives over there. I’ve always hiked a lot so there will be a lot of high mountain lakes I’ll be after this coming summer. Might need to find a hiking partner for the bigger treks. Species wise, I just want to catch some nice healthy Cutthroat and hope to get a bull trout!