Klink and Dink Setup?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
While we're asking questions I got one about midges and emergers. I'm at the same place I was a few years ago with buggers and leeches, I really need to figure it out. I have some success with a single fly, but most fish still come to a sunk fly. I feel my usual dropper tag setup doesn't fish the small flies well. James's leech question got me thinking back to this. Thinking maybe this with a chironomid or small wet dropper. I've seen it with a foam post also. Anybody fishing a rig like this? Tips, favorite dressings?
1714588412571.png

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I actually do something like that with my tool fly on a dropper rig. I tie in a loop of 12 lb maxima, to make what I've heard referred to as a "trailer hitch". I don't see why you couldn't do something like that with a dry dropper rig. I wouldn't use tippet rings as they get expensive.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I actually do something like that with my tool fly on a dropper rig. I tie in a loop of 12 lb maxima, to make what I've heard referred to as a "trailer hitch". I don't see why you couldn't do something like that with a dry dropper rig. I wouldn't use tippet rings as they get expensive.
I did see some tied that way, good to know it works.. I don't care to tie onto the bend, even thinking that loop needs to be in the middle of the body. But will the glue hold? Guess I'll need to find out.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
While we're asking questions I got one about midges and emergers. I'm at the same place I was a few years ago with buggers and leeches, I really need to figure it out. I have some success with a single fly, but most fish still come to a sunk fly. I feel my usual dropper tag setup doesn't fish the small flies well. James's leech question got me thinking back to this. Thinking maybe this with a chironomid or small wet dropper. I've seen it with a foam post also. Anybody fishing a rig like this? Tips, favorite dressings?
View attachment 112644
I've never seen that before. Neat idea! I just use dropper tags.