Inverted guiding trip?

Modest_Man

Just Hatched
Hey all,

Moseyed over here from WFF, where I lurked but didn't post much.

Looking for someone who wants to ride in front of my drift boat on the Yakima. I'd like to cut down the learning curve a bit and get out there with someone who knows the river and just wants to ride up front and fish and share knowledge. The caveat being I have limited free days and have to plan quite a bit in advance. My open days for the next month are May 19th, 25th, and the 31st-3rd; almost all weekend days unfortunately. I've only floated the Yakima once, from the KOA to Ringer. I'd like to learn the canyon stretch.

I looked into booking a trip with Red's Shop but holy hell have guided trips gotten expensive ($625!? for a day trip now)

I've got 15ish years rowing experience on much more technical waters throughout WA/OR/AK. Boat is a mid 90's Koffler guide model. I'm in Enumclaw and can carpool and pay for the shuttle ($60 now as well WTF) or we can meet at the river and use two rigs to shuttle.

Not sure what else anyone would want to know before getting into a boat with a stranger. I'm 38, don't drink or smoke and would prefer the same on the water. I sling eggs for salmon and spoons for steelhead with bait-casters but prefer flies for trout. I do have a fisheries degree and worked for ODFW for several years, so if you want to yell at a former government employee about how bad our fisheries have gotten I'm game for that too.

If this seems like something you'd be interested in doing please shoot me a message

-Jamie

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I sling eggs for salmon and spoons for steelhead with bait-casters but prefer flies for trout. I
Well if you ever make it down to the Portland area, I think we'd fish together just fine :cool:

Modest_Man

Just Hatched
I had to put that in to not freak anyone out with the egg stains on my boat seats.

I moved back to WA from OR in 2017. I worked out of the Clackamas ODFW office, mostly dealing with the Sandy and Clackamas basins. The Molalla was my home river for several years.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I had to put that in to not freak anyone out with the egg stains on my boat seats.

I moved back to WA from OR in 2017. I worked out of the Clackamas ODFW office, mostly dealing with the Sandy and Clackamas basins. The Molalla was my home river for several years.
Very cool. I live in Gresham, so all of the above has been my program for years. Though the last couple years, most my local effort is on the Columbia. I also spend a lot of time out in the ocean. The tribs have been getting my attention less and less each year.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

Moseyed over here from WFF, where I lurked but didn't post much.

Looking for someone who wants to ride in front of my drift boat on the Yakima. I'd like to cut down the learning curve a bit and get out there with someone who knows the river and just wants to ride up front and fish and share knowledge. The caveat being I have limited free days and have to plan quite a bit in advance. My open days for the next month are May 19th, 25th, and the 31st-3rd; almost all weekend days unfortunately. I've only floated the Yakima once, from the KOA to Ringer. I'd like to learn the canyon stretch.

I looked into booking a trip with Red's Shop but holy hell have guided trips gotten expensive ($625!? for a day trip now)

I've got 15ish years rowing experience on much more technical waters throughout WA/OR/AK. Boat is a mid 90's Koffler guide model. I'm in Enumclaw and can carpool and pay for the shuttle ($60 now as well WTF) or we can meet at the river and use two rigs to shuttle.

Not sure what else anyone would want to know before getting into a boat with a stranger. I'm 38, don't drink or smoke and would prefer the same on the water. I sling eggs for salmon and spoons for steelhead with bait-casters but prefer flies for trout. I do have a fisheries degree and worked for ODFW for several years, so if you want to yell at a former government employee about how bad our fisheries have gotten I'm game for that too.

If this seems like something you'd be interested in doing please shoot me a message

-Jamie
What a great offer and a heck of a good introduction! No more lurking? (please) I'm sure you'll find some takers (I don't know the river or I'd jump on this)./Patrick