NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Non-fishing related

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
_____Metal Frames for Raised Beds._____Last Winter there was a discussion about raised bed, metal modular frames. Ive scoured the pages and can't find it. I am after some experienced info. on this subject. I need to rebuild my beds.. Any help is appreciated...
Were you thinking of these?
I think there is a member here that has them.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This popped up on a site I frequent.
Just an FYI.
SF

IMG_7397.jpeg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
As I was working in the garden this weekend, the one thing I realized I can say for certain: I grow big ass weeds.....

Side note: anyone here pull there Dahlias and store them in doors for winter? I seem to have really hit and miss luck with my Dahlias. Have a few that just keep on ticking, and really hit and miss luck on all the others (some go for a couple years then die off, some only one year)....curious if pulling them is worth the effort.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
As I was working in the garden this weekend, the one thing I realized I can say for certain: I grow big ass weeds.....

Side note: anyone here pull there Dahlias and store them in doors for winter? I seem to have really hit and miss luck with my Dahlias. Have a few that just keep on ticking, and really hit and miss luck on all the others (some go for a couple years then die off, some only one year)....curious if pulling them is worth the effort.
I think it is worth doing. I have pulled begonias and dahlias with mixed results. With more enthusiasm and the care I have for storage of other plants I would have done better. Where I live now with no full sun open spaces dahlias would not do well unless I gave up some vegetable growing space

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Basil and cilantro starting to come up.
IMG_7586.jpeg

Same for zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers.
IMG_7587.jpeg

Twelve tomatoes plants getting for the pots come first week of June.
IMG_7588.jpeg
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Our basil (two varieties) has sprouted. I've taken to making larger batches of pesto sauce and freezing it (it freezes really well!). We ate the last of it a week or so ago. Grow basil!
I usually plant a dozen basil plants. I always grow Genovese and lettuce leaf basil. And plant in a part sunny place in loamy soil. The mammoth basil(lettuce leaf) is so large that we use it as wraps with mozzarella and tomato slices. I will set them out the first week of June

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Our basil (two varieties) has sprouted. I've taken to making larger batches of pesto sauce and freezing it (it freezes really well!). We ate the last of it a week or so ago. Grow basil!

My neighbor comes over and gets a lot of mine and makes pesto for me. I’ve found pesto on coho to be excellent.
Another neighbor likes the cilantro and always brings me something in return when she comes to harvest. Last year was blueberries from her plants.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I planted a bunch of herbs from seeds this year. The seeds were a year old. Ain't a single one sprouted yet. :unsure:🤞

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
We have a walnut tree so I've been substituting walnuts (untoasted) for pine nuts in our pesto sauce. I'm sure some chefs would cringe but my family loves the pesto we blend. Grow, basil! (Garlic is doing nicely and the tree looks like it will have lots of nuts.)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
We have a walnut tree so I've been substituting walnuts (untoasted) for pine nuts in our pesto sauce. I'm sure some chefs would cringe but my family loves the pesto we blend. Grow, basil! (Garlic is doing nicely and the tree looks like it will have lots of nuts.)
I use walnuts, but more so because I'm cheap ;)

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Got the first mow in on the top seeded lawn. Still needs to fill in at a couple spots. A couple spots need some more work but I’ll do that this fall.
SF

IMG_7590.jpegIMG_7589.jpeg