Bladderless Float Tube?

I want to replace a float tube with an internal PVC bladder that I've had problems with leaking at the valve. Cleaning the valve & bladder inner-outer surfaces has not helped. The mfg is not responding to questions about (in-warranty or even purchase) of a bladder and/or valve.

I've had a Watermaster for 10+years and never had a problem with the valves or leaks so I believe a bladderless design is simple, durable, and more reliable.
Am I wrong? Why?
Weight overall size and portability matter; an unloaded weight of 15 lbs or less is preferred. I don't think I need oars.
Two bladderless designs that I can find are the Super Cat and the Caddis Platinum Elite.
Are there others?
Has anyone seen, tried, or have either, or better yet all of those? (I know there are Super Cat owners on the board)
Pros & Cons? (interested in knowing the following)
I am just short of 5'10", <190lbs
Do you sit above, awash, or in the water?
The Caddis horizontal bar (and apparently Customer Support :confused:) seems to be an issue for some of its owners with not stabilizing the bow width... thoughts?
Neither the Super Cat nor the Caddis appear to have any real usable storage behind the seat. Do you wish you had some-more?
Is there a recommended bag for carrying and storing it? (Super Cat no longer offers one).

Other thoughts?
Hello, flyfisherman….I currently have a Sea Eagle 10 ft Explorer Kayak, which is very good quality, and am considering a quality affordable float tube with oars….The Outcast Fat Cat Cruzer or Max…VS Caddis Platinum Elite Hybrid…which is only $399.00….has anybody tried one of these?
 
considering a quality affordable float tube with oars….
I have not tried using a float tube rigged with oars. But I would think rowing a float tube without footrests to brace against would probably be inefficient, awkward, difficult to control, and legs - feet with fins in the water are going to create a lot of drag. Plus oars would interfere with a rod (in a) holder, fish finder...

I found a real good deal on a new Super Fat Cat just after COVID. It's a luxury ride on smaller lakes I don't need to walk far into. For high lakes I have a 3.5 lb Wilderness Lite Backpacker Pro.
For larger drive to lakes the Watermaster is real nice for keeping me up and completely out of the water on cold (winter) days. I might pick up a bottom for it this year.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top