Search results

  1. J

    Up at the crack: fishing day breakfasts?

    For decades I have showed up at the boat at first light with food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I prepare the food the night before! I can sleep later by doing that. First. A large "fruit cup"... Tupperware filled with cut fruit. Lots of it, best quality and a good variety. It is a good...
  2. J

    NFR RIP Dolly Parton

    Every single word I have read about this death, on the internet today, has cast this lady in utmost admiration. Definitely tugs at the heartstrings after so many years of seeing her on T.V. “We will be known forever by the tracks we leave.” ― Native American Dakota Tribe Proverb
  3. J

    Show me your bass

    Thank you Northern for the photos. I am definitely going to give that fly a try.
  4. J

    Show me your bass

    My thoughts are to the "weedless" aspect of imitating a frog on a lily pad. The modern lures can literally smash thought the heaviest of "lettuce" without getting "snagged". I know that you can mitigate this with various fly tying methods....... but I wonder if any one has put forth the effort...
  5. J

    Show me your bass

    These frog "lures" are essentially "weedless". You can cast them into the thickest part of a "weed bed". The thicker the better. Let them sit on a Lilly bad for a few minutes, twitch them off the pad wait for it... wait for it...and BOOM!!!! It's a cool way to catch bass..I'm just...
  6. J

    Show me your bass

    I know this is a fly fishing forum.... but imitating a frog on the surface to get a Bass to explode is, IMHO, a worthy endeavor. The modern weedless frogs fished with gear can be very fun. Of course fly fisherman using poppers can (kinda of) get into this action, but a plastic frog on a lily pad...
  7. J

    Kodachrome 64

    When E-6 came out I was able to process my film myself. Shooting 36 frames of underwater shots with a Nikonos, and getting to see the film that night was truly magical, at that time. I could learn from my mistakes for the next day of diving. I actually processed the film in the marina bathroom...
  8. J

    Kodachrome 64

    Having my bottom shelf of my refrigerator filled with film was always a good feeling.
  9. J

    Kodachrome 64

    I feel fortunate to have experienced transparency film. K64 was great, but the E-6 fuji was even better. 90% of commercial work was done with transparent film. 35 mm, medium format and 4x5 sheet film. Unlike "negatives" the exposure HAD to be SPOT on. We used to do a "snip test". They would...
  10. J

    Reflections from the end of my first long term relationship

    I've mostly had long term relationships with good women. But the time being without a woman often felt "hollow". I'd catch a boat load of fish...but there was no one there to tell the story to. I'd suffer a bloody wound and go home to an empty couch. Being alone has its advantages but that...
  11. J

    Reflections from the end of my first long term relationship

    At one time in my life I found comfort in humor. Rodney Dangerfield "I called my wife on the phone and asked her if she had been faking it during sex... she said "Who is this?"
  12. J

    Agressuve Warm Water Behaviors

    Largemouth Bass will eat a duckling.
  13. J

    How Many Knots Are In Your Arsenal?

    Long ago I dabbled in "marlinspike seamanship". Turks heads, Monkey fists, decorative knots etc.. It's a fun hobby, especially if you have a boat. With some "seiners twine" you can turn a boring ships wheel, railing or even a bell rope into a work of art. My favorite book was entitled "Ashleys...
  14. J

    How Many Knots Are In Your Arsenal?

    For fishing leeches and such on a sinking line, I like to use the Double Surgeon Knot. A quick easy to tie loop knot. The loop helps with the action of the fly, and because it is so quick and easy I tend to re-tie more often.
  15. J

    How Many Knots Are In Your Arsenal?

    I am a big fan of frequent "re-ties". After landing a big fish it is hard to not just keep fishing. But over the years I have surmised that this has been the cause of many of my biggest fish being lost. I will reluctantly snip the knot and re-tie quite often. Losing a fish to a worn out knot is...
  16. J

    How Many Knots Are In Your Arsenal?

    I've seen contest where they test the knot strength. Very educational, but also done under ideal conditions. In the real world, that tiny piece of line that is connected to the inside of a hook eye is taking a beating while you are fishing. By doubling up on that tiny piece of line, using a...
  17. J

    How Many Knots Are In Your Arsenal?

    Palomar Knot whenever possible.This knot uses two pieces of line to be used inside the hook eye. This is why is stands above all others in regards to strength. Most of the time a knot will fail at the hook eye, the Palomar knot essentially doubles the strength at that very critical point. This...
  18. J

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    Steven Wright (The Deadpan Master) "If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something."
  19. J

    Favorite recipes for basic store bought fish...

    Might I suggest. Buy some frozen halibut (or tuna) in those vacuum sealed packages at the grocery store. Marinate them in "Bernstiens Italian Dressing and Marinade"(this is key!) You can marinate the fish for 30 min or even overnight. Cook the fish over a smokey grill. Now you have delicious...
Back
Top