Search results

  1. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    I was referring to the indexing of the line via kinking it as was suggested previously.
  2. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Hit 115 tonight. The prairie grass out here in goldendale is hell on flylines though. Bought a new line Tuesday, got about 10 hours on it and I've already picked it to the core just behind the loop.
  3. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Fishing i absolutely agree.
  4. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    In lots of competitions guys are using up to 11 weight rods to get their distances i am committed to using a 9 ft 5wt. And I'll use a brand new line out of the box. If I get good enough for it to matter I might cut off the front loop and do a blind splice but no other modifications. I...
  5. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Excellent question. Though in competition you have to usr a line that has not been indexed for practice i have it marked at around 61 feet this os where I pick up from and then it's marked at 78 feet and this is where I shoot from.. both marked used at the rod tip. My casting has become...
  6. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Yes laying off that last 10% and just letting the tools do their job makes the biggest difference. What i find when I give that extra 10% I end up pulling the rod across my body slightly and it leads a big left hook and an 80 foot cast
  7. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Tonight's practice 90 degrees no wind. Lots of casts at 100 feet Best casts 109, 108,107 and several at 103 a few of the casts had the leader not piled up Would have been 110-122. 5 mph tail wind came up the last few minutes it hurt distance by destroying my back cast. The idea that a...
  8. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Even wind that doesn't move the flag? Even when you cast straight into it. Non moving are creates it's own anti casting phenomena. Dead calm air isn't neutral.
  9. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    Competitions require the use of the MED. I have however fished DTs my whole life
  10. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    I have found mid morning - early afternoon to be the best. Dead calm air is the worst. At 8 am i might max out at 90 feet but at noon the swirling 1-4 mph i can reach 105. With a 9 ft 5 wt and the SA MED. Afternoon is usually blowing 20 mph. So no casting then.
  11. Rob Allen

    Sometimes you are the problem

    I have always thought I was a good caster and have been told so by many industry professionals. This spring i borrowed from the Sage rep ( thank you Eric) bought the correct line, the SA Mastery expert distance line and started practicing and in the unsettled spring air was reaching pretty...
  12. Rob Allen

    D and NU closures

    Tribal net fisheries in the Bonneville pool take almost half the Wind river summer steelhead in less than 8 miles of river. Deschutes steelhead have to transit much more than 8 miles
  13. Rob Allen

    If I Had a Life Do Over

    That's horrible.
  14. Rob Allen

    If I Had a Life Do Over

    I'd be one of these guys
  15. Rob Allen

    D and NU closures

    While I don't outright disagree with the closure. 1. I should be offered a refund on my Oregon fishing license - a prorated fir the one day I fished in Oregon. 2. The closure won't affect future abundance. 3. All wild summer run rivers should be closed in Oregon and Washington to keep...
  16. Rob Allen

    SFR "Premium" purchases you found to be "worth it"

    Googling "brooks beasts" Running shoes? Hmmm disappointed.
  17. Rob Allen

    SFR "Premium" purchases you found to be "worth it"

    Sage 590 Power R8.. by October I want to be casting 125 feet on a semi regular basis. Now I need to build a casting platform to get me 12-18 inches off the ground like at Golden Gate.. would be fun to do well as a walk on rookie
  18. Rob Allen

    Anyone wanna go to Christmas island next winter?

    I can certainly understand that.
  19. Rob Allen

    Anyone wanna go to Christmas island next winter?

    Tuna can be seen feeding from the beach. There us a dugout canoe available for any brave soul who wishes to use it. Also if enough of the party wishes to do so they will spend a morning trolling outside the atol where there tuna, rainbow runners , baracuda and other various fish.
Back
Top