Search results

  1. Mike Cline

    I hope everyone has a safe and blessed weekend

    Thanks Jerry, Memorial Day has become a tradition for me as for the last 15 years, I’ve made the trek South to Yellowstone to fish the Firehole or Gibbon at dawn. Yellowstone is a magical place, no matter when you visit and it remains so since its creation over 150 years ago. Although I am sure...
  2. Mike Cline

    SFR 45 years ago today…..

    "We do not remember days, we remember moments." – Cesare Pavese highlights that the significance of life lies in meaningful experiences rather than the passage of time. On that Sunday morning in May I was a 1st Lt stationed at McChord AFB and living just a few miles north of the base. We were...
  3. Mike Cline

    USPS inefficiency with a simple shipment

    The USPS, most likely unintentionally, is delivering a fly line in a “tight loop”. I acquire a big portion of fly fishing and fly tying stuff from Ebay. It’s almost always shipped with USPS and usually without issue. But a recent purchase is indicative of part of the reason the USPS is going...
  4. Mike Cline

    SFR Oregon Water shortage (NY Times)

    Indeed, when it comes to the so called “climate change crisis” there is no end to the scientific, social and political contradictions out there.
  5. Mike Cline

    SFR Oregon Water shortage (NY Times)

    This seems to contradict the above to some extent https://notrickszone.com/2026/05/11/new-paleo-research-modern-climate-change-has-had-no-apparent-impact-on-precipitation-patterns/
  6. Mike Cline

    MyFlyVise - Our new integrated fly pattern platform

    That was quick. Good work!
  7. Mike Cline

    MyFlyVise - Our new integrated fly pattern platform

    Yes, captions should definitely be optional, but they are useful sometimes to explain the context of an individual photo. Here’s an example from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wulff_series_of_dry_flies
  8. Mike Cline

    MyFlyVise - Our new integrated fly pattern platform

    Evan Another tweak that might be useful if possible is to have short captions on the photos so they don’t need to be explained in the description. Just a thought. Mike
  9. Mike Cline

    Is hunting to open in National Parks?

    Not a very accurate characterization of the article’s content. For example the article says: “U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Doug Burgum issued an order in January directing multiple agencies to remove what he termed “unnecessary regulatory or administrative barriers” to hunting and...
  10. Mike Cline

    Historic Ice Breaker - A new season in YNP

    Not in the river, but lots of bleached bones along the river.
  11. Mike Cline

    Historic Ice Breaker - A new season in YNP

    The park wasn’t crowded and I suspect more local anglers hit the Firehole. The Gibbon below the falls had a few more folks. As I said in the original post, a month long season, pre-runoff on these waters is unknown territory and I suspect that discouraged a lot of folks that make a long...
  12. Mike Cline

    Historic Ice Breaker - A new season in YNP

    By the time I entered YNP about 7 AM on May 1st, the outside air temp was hovering around 25 degrees. (Begin rant) I had driven South down to West Yellowstone to partake in first ever May 1st opening for the Firehole, Gibbon and Madison rivers. Dodging suicidal Cervids, surviving exceptionally...
  13. Mike Cline

    Introducing MyFlyVise.com - BETA Phase

    Exactly like I envisioned it. Thanks. It will really pay dividends when there are 100s of entries
  14. Mike Cline

    Introducing MyFlyVise.com - BETA Phase

    @Evan B Per our previous discussion, thanks for adding the Sub Types under Fly Types. How ever when creating a custom feed based on Fly Type you are restricted to the top-level types. If I wanted to search for just Stone Fly Nymphs, all I can select is Nymph and thus get every entry tagged...
  15. Mike Cline

    MyFlyVise - Our new integrated fly pattern platform

    No doubt I’d be the top tyer as well if there was a category for “tying mistakes”. I make a lot of them enroute to the finished product.
  16. Mike Cline

    A River Runs Through It: 50-year anniversary (NY Times Musing)

    Although I don’t really buy-in to the NY Times’ premise that Maclean was some sort of fly fishing literary pioneer when he published his now famous work, there is a formula here. Great story, good writing +++ a well produced, directed and award winning movie is a winning combination. Good...
  17. Mike Cline

    SBS - Pine Squirrel Bugger

    Thanks to @Buzzy for prompting me to post this SBS. The Pine Squirrel Bugger is a versatile streamer representing a leech, sculpin or large salmon fly nymph. It can be tied with just about any color combinations depending on availability of material. It is unweighted and intended to be fished...
  18. Mike Cline

    “Go Learn Something”

    All the tailing materials are tied on from about an 1/8” back from the hook eye. This creates a thick, smooth base along the hook shank for the zonked squirrel. The strip of zonked squirrel is tied in at the hook bend—just a short section skin side up with the fur facing backwards. The first...
  19. Mike Cline

    Late Spring Storm a Blessing

    Been dumping white stuff all night and forecasted to keep on dumping for most of today. As much as we are getting here in the valley, the Madisons, Gallatin and Tobacco Root ranges should be filling up.:love:
  20. Mike Cline

    “Go Learn Something”

    There are 81+ species of leeches in North America across four families, eight of which occur in Montana. Having fished N. Minnesota shield lakes for over 10 summers in the 1990s, I am very familiar with the black bait leech you describe. Unfortunately, it is just one of 81+ species and not...
Back
Top