Search results

  1. D

    First round matchup #13 - #4 Dorado vs. #29 Wahoo

    The guide I went striped marlin fishing with was saying that there were similar bait balls but with wahoo about 30 miles south of us. Going on at the same time. Might be worth a try if you want a chance to hook one without trolling ;).
  2. D

    First round matchup #14 - #13 Roosterfish vs. #20 Northern Pike

    Got a rooster trip coming up soon - end of May. Big roosters ripping through the water after bait is one of the coolest things I've seen fishing. And seeing them really speeds up and messes up my casting. Fingers crossed.
  3. D

    NFR Hungarian Mushroom soup - recipe!

    We make Hungarian Mushroom soup a few times every fall. But we use chantrelles. It is delicious - one of my favorites!
  4. D

    First round matchup #3 - #9 Striped Marlin vs. #24 Golden Trevally

    We went with a guy my friend knows. Not one of the known outfits. Pluses and minuses. DM me if you want more info.
  5. D

    First round matchup #3 - #9 Striped Marlin vs. #24 Golden Trevally

    I've caught striped marlin on flies. Very very fun. But not technically challenging - if you are in the right place at the right time and find a slow moving bait ball you will hook marlin. Though I only know of one right place/time. Very fun, visual fight - lots of runs and tail walking...
  6. D

    Watercraft for Kids & Wife

    We tried the canoe route. What I found was that if the wife and kid are fishing (and the kid is old enough) is that everybody was happier with their own float tube. Then they could do what they wanted to do.
  7. D

    Top fly rod fish

    You dropped Taimen off your list? Seems like Taimen has to make the top 32. I've never fished for them due to poor decision making but they are on something like the top 10 for me. Anyone who has fished for Taimen want to chime in on whether they should make the top 32?
  8. D

    Top fly rod fish

    A 50# plus Rooster is a more exhausting fight than a 100+ lb striped marlin on a fly rod. Based on very limited experience, big Roosters are serious bull dogs. Striped marlin are super fun, but they wear themselves out pretty quickly dragging the fly line all around. Nubian Flats is very high...
  9. D

    Bonefish line suggestions please

    I appreciated it. Pushed me off the fence to try to grab the one in the classifieds!
  10. D

    More Steelhead For Rock Lake

    Another good article on the dangers and mysteries of Rock Lake. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/apr/09/the-mysteries-of-rock-lake-the-fishings-good-but/
  11. D

    More Steelhead For Rock Lake

    After this thread it feels like we need a "I fished Rock Lake and lived to tell about it" T-shirt or sticker or something. Beautiful lake and area. But there's better lakes for fly fishing in the Spokane area.
  12. D

    PNW Fly Fishing Semi-Official Swap, Shop, Fish & Eat - May 17, 2025

    @JimTravers¤£a!!Travers Travers, you going to be at this shindig? Dominate the swap, throw some flies, and educate folks on the Main Amendment?
  13. D

    Pay to play lakes??

    Haven't fished it but have heard that Back to the Wall is good. Be a good one to combine with fishing a few central WA lakes. Sounds like Grindstone Lakes are no longer pay to play. Always wanted to give it a try.
  14. D

    What's in your vise?

    First attempts at sardines. Got a ways to go. Just started trying to tie flies last year
  15. D

    Teach me to Fish Chironomids?

    That's a pretty good description of chironomid fishing for me. 1. Measure depth. 2. Crap cast but get the bobber kind of where I wanted it. 3. Start watching. 4. Start spacing out, looking all around. 5. See bobber go down out of the corner of my eye. 6. Frantic set, bobber hits me in the...
  16. D

    What would be a good bonefish setup?

    That's a sweet looking fish. And love the story!
  17. D

    What would be a good bonefish setup?

    Mostly likely will start at Christmas Island. A friend wants to try a diy trip there next winter....
  18. D

    What would be a good bonefish setup?

    Thanks! That's a really nice price on the NTRs.
  19. D

    What would be a good bonefish setup?

    I've gotten the idea that I want to give flats fishing a try - bonefish specifically. So I've starting doing some research on what setup I would need. Looks like an 8wt setup is the most common. I figured I'd try to tap into some of the great expertise on this forum to narrow down the rod and...
Back
Top