Search results

  1. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    I always get a little nervous when I deviate from my typical process and timing, but today's bake went alright despite the changed. Yesterday I drove to Burlington to pick up my latest order from Cairnspring Mills. I get 50 lbs of glacier peak and 5 pounds of Edison AP. Their 10-1, Saturday...
  2. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    You open baked it with a steam pan? What gas or electric oven? That recipe is about 68% hydration, which makes sense to me given the AP flour and your loaves looks about what I would expect. To open up crumb there are a few options. 1. End bulk ferment 30 minutes early, shape, then add those 30...
  3. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Do you have a dough whisk? I find it very helpful for mixing dough. This looks undermixed to me. It should be much more uniform after the initial mix. Did you mix the flours prior to adding water? If not, you should, you'll get much better bread.
  4. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    4 Tbsp rice toasted until golden in a dry wok then ground in a mortar and pestle until sand-like 2 lbs ground meat (this is 93% lean turkey) 5 cloves garlic minced 2 serranos minced 1" piece of ginger finely minced 1 bunch of green onions, whites only, chopped Thai chili powder White pepper...
  5. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Thai larb salad using the tops of napa
  6. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    A lot of nuance and too many people claiming there are hard and fast rules around this. Once a starter is over 4-6 weeks old and is nice, active, and strong you can treat it incredibly poorly and it'll come right back with a few feedings. You can keep it warm (up to about 100 degrees), cool, or...
  7. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I really like this seasoning blend And it really likes pork tenderloin However, it burns and flakes off if you try to sear the tenderloin with the seasoning on. It does great roasting, but I prefer to cook tenderloin by searing in cast iron and finishing on a wire rack in the oven. So I...
  8. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Looks delicious, but where's the bread?!?!
  9. Gary Knowels

    Current update, Feb 2026, on me about my stroke

    Congratulations Jerry, I'm really glad to hear that you've made so much progress! Keep up the strong work, we're all here rooting for you. If you need support let us know!
  10. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Christmas in February
  11. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    The previous night's leftover beef and broth got combined with homemade enchilada sauce from the freezer, a couple of cans of hominy, and some produce to make a quick and tasty weeknight pozole.
  12. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Marvel Grocery and Deli (Auburn and Parkland) is an Eastern European store that has a cafe. They make a really good cabbage roll.
  13. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Two sides of the same coin
  14. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Means a lot coming from the man!
  15. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    I don't make a lot of boules as I prefer the more consistent slices I get out of batards. However I wanted to make an extra loaf to have with dinner tonight. I modeled this off of Essential Baking's rosemary diamonte. 250 g glacier peak 150 g Edison AP 100 g stardust whole white 380 g water 12...
  16. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    We had a group of friends over for dinner tonight and I had an excuse to go big for the first time in a while. We went full Piedmont inspired Sunday dinner. I custom ordered a 7.5 lb seven bone roast (bone in chuck) from Butcher Boys. It's a pretty slab of meat. It got dry brined overnight...
  17. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Farro grain bowl with chicken thighs, roasted golden beets, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, pepperoncinis, and yogurt-dill-mint sauce
  18. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I dig your Pan-Eurasian style!
  19. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Thank you. Turns out that making 2 loaves most weekends for 6 years is a good way to improve.
  20. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    I got a little spicy with this weekend's bake. I've been eating less cured meats than I'd like to, but it's been great for my health. To replace some of those flavors I decide to spice up there with the flavors of finocchiono salame: garlic powder, black pepper, fennel seed, crushed red pepper...
Back
Top