Search results

  1. Gary Knowels

    New Tools/Apps from your PNW crew - Time to test!

    I'm on Android mobile and had 2 issues 1) the fillable parts of the PNWFF login option are not entirely visible and do not scroll 2) I got this page when I tried to log in via PNWFF
  2. Gary Knowels

    Got any bird pics?

    We saw this guy prowling an undeveloped lot in downtown Pittsburgh today
  3. Gary Knowels

    Got any bird pics?

    We're visiting Pittsburgh right now and I saw several cardinals, which was a first for me in person. They really pop against the bare branches and new budding foliage.
  4. Gary Knowels

    Dismantling of the USFS

    I think we can look to Project 2025 as the blueprint for the intent of this action, which would be to privatize public land for extractive industries.
  5. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    There is a limit to how much yard space my wife will tolerate me using for gardening...
  6. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Usually midsummer I'm putting in other things, like cucumbers and summer squash, instead of more peas.
  7. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Want some of mine? My seed pack always have more than I can plant in my limited garden
  8. Gary Knowels

    2026 Swap & Shop Official Thread

    A few loaves of sourdough and maybe some sourdough cookies
  9. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Good to see some of these guys around
  10. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I really like a lot of Ottolenghi stuff. The sweet potato and sage gratin is a repeat recipe in our house
  11. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Gochujang, scallion, and Chinese garlic chive sourdough 640 g Glacier Peak 80 g stardust 80 g Marquis 6 g diastatic malt 12 g salt 560 g water 140 g gochujang dissolved in the water 160 g starter 100 g chopped green onion 100 g chopped Chinese garlic chive Rolled in mixed sesame seeds...
  12. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    My ultimate favorite way: Render some pepper bacon lardons until crisp, then remove. toss halved brussel sprouts and julienned sweet onion in the bacon fat, place cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet with onions and loose sprout leaves around. Roast at 450 until browned but still...
  13. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I find that all of the brassica varieties thrive with more acid than one would normally think to add.
  14. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Lamb should steak, za'atar roasted cauliflower, and butternut squash bulger wheat salad Every shade of brown and not even enough green to offend @Salmo_g
  15. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Nice loaf! If you are baking in the DO the entire time, but removing the lid part way through you could try taking the loaf out of the DO when you take the lid off. When you remove the loaf from the Dai, place it directly on the oven rack and put a baking sheet or something (I use a cast iron...
  16. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    You can proof in the oven with the light on (oven off) and it will be upper 70s to low 80s. Much more energy efficient for the same result. You're baking this as a single loaf? That's a lot of flour for one loaf. it also seems like you're fermenting a long time considering the active yeast and...
  17. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Ezogelin (Turkish red lentil soup) with a dollop of lebneh https://cinnamonsnail.com/ezogelin-cobasi-turkish-lentil-soup/#recipe
  18. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Lovely looking bread, Wayne! 3 possibilities: 1) starter wasn't "active" enough, which just means you didn't have a high enough concentration of yeast. Repeated feedings like you did can help the density increase 2) starter was getting too acidic- can sometimes happen with refrigerated starter...
  19. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    I don't do slap and folds or knead at all, but I know the initial mix and first 2 sets of stretch and folds the dough is very sticky, but as the gluten strength builds it will become less and less sticky. I'd recommend adding some bread flour and upping the hydration.
Back
Top