Search results

  1. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I'm no expert either, but I cut all the scapes 3 weeks ago and the outer handful of leaves were drying up, which I've read is an indicator it is ready. The bulbs seem well developed with firm, plump cloves so 🤷‍♂️
  2. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Pulled garlic this morning, 2 varieties: purple glazer and some unknown grocery store bulbs that started sprouting on the counter. Red and purple fingerling potatoes will follow the garlic in the 3'x3' raised bed.
  3. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    Once settled, I would love to meet the PA folks in Person!
  4. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    My line on renting was that the rental "income" needed to cover mortgage, insurance, landscaping/maintenance,/management company, and have a few hundred dollars a month excess to go in a "when shit goes wrong with the house" fund. For me, this is 90% a numbers decision, for my wife it's more...
  5. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    Both. She didn't get into the nursing programs in town (TCC, UW-T) but got admissions offers from Pitt and UMass, both of which have admission rates under 15%. She's a really strong candidate, but there is not enough nursing education infrastructure here (Pugetopolis) for the demand that exists...
  6. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    That's a good idea. Jenna's cousin's family was stationed at JBLM for 3 years and they rented in University Place, I bet they could point us in the right direction.
  7. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    I might rock a pirates hat or a pens sweater but never a Steelers logo.
  8. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I planted Sugar Magnolia snap peas from Territorial for the first time this year. I chose them because they are strong climbing vines and that helps me conserve space in my small raised bed garden. The vines have already surpassed the top of the 7 foot tripods I have and are starting to produce...
  9. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    Thank you for the note. Once I'm there and ready to explore would you mind if I ask you more specific questions about fishing locations in the area?
  10. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    That's where the uncertainty is: we don't know if we'll move back here. She's from Central Valley, CA and left there after high school and moved to Seattle where we met. Part of this is trying to figure out where we'd like to spend the second half of our lives.
  11. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    We plan to rent in Pittsburgh. She's doing the ABSN program which takes 12 months and then decide what we want to do at that point. She's interested in doing some travel nursing to explore more parts of the country. Right now we're thinking pod shipping situation, with plenty of downsizing and...
  12. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    We are considering both and taking the risks seriously. Our plan is to get the input of 3 real estate professionals for both rental and sales prior to making a choice. We've got one already, a second should be in by end of week. We have a really great mortgage, 3% interest and about $1000/mo...
  13. Gary Knowels

    SFR A decision has been made-big move coming

    Topline news: I'm moving to Pittsburgh before the end of the year. The Mrs. earned admissions to the University of Pittsburgh's nursing school and will be starting classes in January. There are a million decisions to be made between now and then but we've decided to go for it. We're targeting...
  14. Gary Knowels

    NFR Got any mammal pictures

    My midnight pee and his early breakfast were both unexpectedly interrupted I ran into his relatives a few hours later
  15. Gary Knowels

    Black Bear Attack on Mount Si

    I saw a bear on trail one of 3 times I hiked it and have friends that live in the area that often have issues with bears, especially ransacking garbage bins. I'm not surprised by the encounter, but it sucks for all parties involved.
  16. Gary Knowels

    Got any bird pics?

    I stumbled upon mama grouse and her baby in the Quinault Rainforest a couple days ago. I don't know what the brood size normally is, but there was only 1 chick. How incredibly camouflaged they are though.
  17. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Massaman Curry Sliced chicken breast not pictured I didn't have any tamarind paste on hand so I stewed down and pureed some fresh rhubarb as a substitute.
  18. Gary Knowels

    High Lakes

    Nice rod sock
  19. Gary Knowels

    2026 Swap & Shop Official Thread

    Leaving my house now, any last minute needs?
  20. Gary Knowels

    2026 Swap & Shop Official Thread

    2 white-ish boules and 2 wheat-ish batards taking a cold nap And a couple dozen sourdough brown butter chocolate chip cookies just for fun
Back
Top