Search results

  1. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Batard is the shape of loaf, longer than it is wide, which is what I almost always make because I get more uniform slices. Banneton is the proofing basket/bowl. You have a round one for making a boule. You can follow my process, just change the shaping step from batard to boule. Lots of good...
  2. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    You used the rustic sourdough recipe? That calls for instant yeast, yeah? I can't tell from the picture what's going on. The surface texture looks weird to me, almost like the flour wasn't fully incorporated or hydrated. Looking back at your previous post with the dough in the banneton, I see...
  3. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Sometimes the answer to "what's for dinner?" the least amount of effort but is still reasonably tasty Cut, season, chuck into a 450 degree oven. The potatoes and pork tenderloin cook in the same amount of time (potatoes on lower rack) and Chef Mike handles the broccoli in 2.5 minutes
  4. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    You only get ~6 slice of bread from a boule? Yes, my math is correct. You missed some context. I was referring to just the whole grain component of flour when I said 80g. I make batards with 400g of flour, 80g whole grain that I order from Barton springs plus 320g of glacier peak bread flour...
  5. Gary Knowels

    Butterflies in January?

    After looking at a bunch of pictures of the 3 tortoiseshell species you listed, it seemed most similar to a California Tortoiseshell. Thanks!
  6. Gary Knowels

    2026 Swap and Shop

    I should be able to make it and bring bread and cookies like last time
  7. Gary Knowels

    Butterflies in January?

    I was hiking yesterday near Mt. Rainier and stopped to eat lunch at about 4500 feet. There was a strong inversion and it was pushing 60 degrees up there despite a couple feet of snow on the ground. As I was eating an orange and black butterfly flew by and landed on a standing dead tree. By the...
  8. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    The hellebore we planted last year certainly seem to like where they are
  9. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I'm glad you approve 😉 I prefer ham to turkey or even some beef roasts for holiday celebrations. So much so that I've cured and smoked my own a few times. Sorry to hear about the back, wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
  10. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Masoor Dal, basmati rice, and raita
  11. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Baked potato and salad
  12. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    I really do. I find it fun and I really enjoy the results. There is a lot of subtlety and nuance on the process which took a while for me to fully grasp, but once I got it I found I could make better bread than I could buy. I toast 2 slices and top with lebneh and everything bagel seasoning for...
  13. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    A new one for me, leeks, lemon zest, and fresh dill. It tastes amazing and my house smells intoxicating. The shaping didn't go super well due to how I added the inclusions. I added them during the last set of stretch and folds which created layers of dough and leek mixture. During shaping the...
  14. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Ham and gouda frittata and an arugula salad
  15. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    If you REALLY want to learn pick up The Wok by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, it's nominally a cookbook with LOTS of great recipes, but it's actually a textbook on the subject of cooking in a wok. It covers everything from heat, to ingredient prep, to experiments on the best way to do things, to recipes...
  16. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Sourdough kardamommabullar (Swedish cardamom buns)
  17. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Moro beans cooked with Trinity, serrano, lots of bay leaf, hempler's double smoked sausage and ham stock and rice with a lemon zucchini salad
  18. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    First time attempting homemade cheese raviolis, entirely by hand. I give myself a 6.5/10. Flavor was great, just need to practice my technique and get a couple of tools. Paired them with a Bolognese Served with salad and stuffed onions and zucchini Merry Christmas!
  19. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Super Soft Sourdough Rolls | The Perfect Loaf https://share.google/yTn5wdhfwfgADIM9z But I spiked mine with a bit of instant yeast for time purposes and brushed the tops with honey butter when they came out of the oven
  20. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    I meant the porchetta!
Back
Top