Search results

  1. DryFly82

    SFR Losing Interest

    We all go through seasons. If you're in a rut, then maybe a little time off is good. New fisheries and styles can go a long way toward reenergizing the fishing passion. I've always loved it, but there's been a lot of starts and stops over the years. Grew up fishing BC/Alaska, but I just...
  2. DryFly82

    Indicator fishing / Stillwater

    When you're sitting on the lake trolling or casting and you've only had a few fish all day...then you see a guy reeling in fish after fish under the indicator...that's the motivation you need. I had that experience a few years ago on my local lake and I decided to commit to only bringing...
  3. DryFly82

    Puget Sound

    Hit the South Sound on Thursday before the sun and wind picked up for the weekend. I fished a few hours from a beach park in the morning and caught a 14" in the first few casts and lost another. Then met up with my dad to take his boat out for the first time since January. We put in at Boston...
  4. DryFly82

    A River Runs Through It: 50-year anniversary (NY Times Musing)

    Yes. I read it last year and it is a beast, but truly amazing writing and connection for me as an outdoors enthusiast. I also love The Brothers K also as a huge baseball fan and I’ve read it a few times. Those books are as good or better than River Why in some ways, but due to length not as...
  5. DryFly82

    A River Runs Through It: 50-year anniversary (NY Times Musing)

    I remember enjoying “A River Runs Through It” book and movie, but it never stood out as something I would come back to. Different genre, but to me “The River Why” connected with my passion for fishing on a much deeper level. I reread that every few years.
  6. DryFly82

    Interesting day in Central WA

    I fished a well-known central Washington lake last weekend. 10+ other boats on the lake Saturday and it was the same story..."should have been there yesterday". Still a lot of bugs coming up until early afternoon. It was my first time fishing that particular lake and so I trolled more than...
  7. DryFly82

    Fishing stories.. or exciting stories while floating.. or ??

    I worked 3 years out there at K-Bay. A buddy of mine showed me a few 30lb ulua that he caught out there at night, so I figured I'd give it a try. The first night I went out there the bell on my rod went off...when I reeled it in it was a 4-5ft moray eel. Nastiest teeth I've ever seen. I saw...
  8. DryFly82

    Fishing stories.. or exciting stories while floating.. or ??

    I'll go. When I was 21 and between my Junior and Senior year in college my dad took a sabbatical from his job for a few months and he told me not to get a summer job so that we could just go fishing all summer. We lived in Alaska and spent a lot of time fishing the Willow area and Kenai in my...
  9. DryFly82

    Nice evening on the local

    Yep. I just fished a FF only lake a few weeks ago that had been recently stocked with Jumbos. They were all schooled up and swimming just under the surface. Within 30 minutes I saw an eagle swoop down and grab one that was at least 4lb in the middle of the lake...it then proceeded to...
  10. DryFly82

    Nice evening on the local

    A few theories: 1. Stocked fish are a lot more aggressive due to the hatchery conditions (conditioned to fight for food) 2. Stocked fish are going to eat more food because they will focus on food over safety (compared to the more cautious wild fish) 3. Stocked fish are going to eat more often...
  11. DryFly82

    Anyone going to Puget Sound Fly Shop tonight?

    I'm a big fan of PSFC, but unfortunately I can't make it tonight. I'm sure it will be a good time!
  12. DryFly82

    A juxtaposition

    I'll put an audiobook on when I'm with my kids if there's nobody else around. If it's just me I might do an audiobook or podcast on a slow day until the action picks up. Worst experience in the last few years was on a small lake in Gifford-Pinchot NF. Only one other campsite on the lake and...
  13. DryFly82

    CDA Westslope Cutthroat

    Agreed...it definitely doesn't match up with my experience. I put 100yds of backing on each of my reels and even with fish up to 29" I've never gotten down to the bone on my backing. Maybe down to about 30 yds left on the biggest fish with nearly the whole fly line out when it hit (70yd run)...
  14. DryFly82

    WDFW Digital license

    I just checked. My catch card is working on the MyWDFW app.
  15. DryFly82

    As the weather starts to improve, who is daydreaming about fishing‽

    I used to daydream about fishing all winter...then I realized there are some fisheries that produce very well all winter long if you can stand the cold weather or just pick and choose your days. It is nice when you have a sunny day like yesterday though. I need to start packing the sunscreen...
  16. DryFly82

    fishing Lenice on Thursday

    If it was fighter jets it was most likely F-15s from either Portland ANG Base or Mountain Home AFB. Those are the two closest locations where fighters are based.
  17. DryFly82

    Caverhill lodge for Kamloops trout

    Never fished Caverhill, but it looks great and I’d love to check it out. I’ve fished a few other camps in the area. Thuya (Rustic Resort) I went to a few times as a kid and caught fish up to 3lbs…some of the outer lakes had 6lb+ back then, but I’m not sure about now. I haven’t been to...
  18. DryFly82

    Oregon Ballot Initiative on Hunting and Fishing

    Too bad they can't focus their advocacy on trawlers in Alaska...those poor pollock
  19. DryFly82

    SFR Superstitions?

    I’ve got around 100 hats, but only about 15 or so are fishing hats (the nasty ones). The worst one is a 25 y/o Sonics hat that I can’t retire until they return to Seattle. I started always switching hats so I could tell the difference between days on a fishing trip when I was looking at...
  20. DryFly82

    SFR Superstitions?

    1. Bananas = more fish 2. Never wear the same hat back-to-back trips/days…I don’t know why, but I also don’t want to find out.
Back
Top