Search results

  1. Cabezon

    Strange, weird or odd or whatever beach finds thread….

    Probably a great sculpin, Myoxocephalus polyacanthocephalus. Steve
  2. Cabezon

    Backyard Wildlife

    Backyard wildlife, January 2026. The boys are back. Several blacktail does and their fawns pass through my yard several times a day. They have worn their own game trails in my yard. But the bucks that wandered through during the fall rut have been AWOL since before Thanksgiving. I feared...
  3. Cabezon

    NFR Got any mammal pictures

    San Juan Island, Xmas 2025. Mammals. Over the years, my wife and I have developed several loops as we explore the wildlife on the island. If the weather cooperates, we’ll be out for most of the day. Mornings often start at Argyle Lagoon / Jackson Beach or American Camp. At American Camp, we...
  4. Cabezon

    Got Shrooms?

    There will be reports at the end of January / early February that will be EPIC... The White Continent... Steve
  5. Cabezon

    Got Shrooms?

    When I was in gradual school at U.C.S.B., several friends / roommates / biology graduate students and I decided to hike to a local waterfall in a county park to celebrate a birthday. On a gorgeous spring day, it took us over two hours to hike a mile from the parking lot to the waterfall where...
  6. Cabezon

    Got Shrooms?

    San Juan Island, Xmas 2025. Unusual fungi, lichens, and mosses. My wife and I hiked down the trail to Jakle’s Lagoon in the American Camp section of San Juan Island Historical Park. It is a great walk through a Douglas fir / cedar forest to this brackish-water lagoon. With high tide and winds...
  7. Cabezon

    NFR Got any mammal pictures

    What an amazing encounter. Steve
  8. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    San Juan Island, Xmas 2025: Diving Ducks, Part 2. Flocks of surf scoters (and white-winged scoters) are quite common along the shore. Buffleheads dive in freshwater ponds and along the shore, especially in more protected areas. While I encounter them more commonly in Puget Sound and Hood...
  9. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    San Juan Island, Xmas 2025: Diving Ducks, Part 1. The Cattle Point Lighthouse marks the southernmost tip of San Juan Island. The strong currents running over sills between San Juan Island and Lopez Island in Cattle Pass draw up food resources that attract marine birds and mammals. The rocky...
  10. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    San Juan Island, Xmas 2025: Eagles. My wife and I house-sat for some friends on San Juan Island over the holidays. We have fulfilled this role many times and always enjoy exploring the wildlife on the islands. When the weather cooperates, you have a great view of the snow-covered majesty of...
  11. Cabezon

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    Been there. Done that... Steve
  12. Cabezon

    Changes

    Great to see you will be captaining this summer. Steve
  13. Cabezon

    The 2025 NFL Season Discussion

    The Packers are trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... Steve
  14. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Hi CG, In the early 1980's as molecular analyses began to become more comprehensive, the American Ornithological Union decided to restrict the work "hawk" to accipiters, especially in the genus Buteo (aka "buzzards" in Europe). Part of the drive was to have the common names reflect more...
  15. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Nisqually NWR, early / mid-December. Insectivorous birds. As the temperatures turns cooler, the insectivores coalesce to form mixed-species feeding flocks. They also become more focused on gathering as many calories as possible in the shorter days (and are therefore a little less wary). Even on...
  16. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    More "plastic-molded", I think... Steve
  17. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Nisqually NWR, early / mid-December. On the rare day when the sun is shining, the light even at midday is so rich. At this time of year the sun is so low on the horizon that the wavelengths of light that reach the surface are rich and warm like the golden hour after dawn or before dusk in...
  18. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Amazing picture of the gray ghost. Steve
  19. Cabezon

    Fall BWOs on the Yakima

    I get "buck fever" when trying to tie on a new fly in the middle of a hot hatch. It's as if I have never done this before - total fumble-fingers... :) Steve
  20. Cabezon

    Fall BWOs on the Yakima

    Hi Roger, Many thanks for your expert identification. I assumed that it was a BWO as that was the hatch that I was expecting at that time of year. I should probably have left it vague as "small mayfly"... What would be the key difference between a BWO vs. a Trico for the interested amateur? Steve
Back
Top