Search results

  1. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    I need something along the lines of a 450 gr Skagit head that is 30 feet long or so. Ideally it would be a "beer can" with no taper. So the less taper, the better. I cast a 510 gr Air Flo Rage on another rod, and it handled tips quite well. I have a few Scandi heads in the 450 to low 500 gr...
  2. Salmo_g

    Rain

    Pretty good.
  3. Salmo_g

    Fish and Culverts

    I'm not aware of any artificial seeding of newly accessible habitat. It's an effort that generally would have limited value, meaning sometimes it would add to overall productivity and sometimes it wouldn't. If the runs downstream of culvert replacements are not over-harvested (ha ha, I know...
  4. Salmo_g

    Rain

    I ran my truck through the car wash after returning home from the Dean because I needed to use it Wednesday. It only got the back of the truck about half clean, so I washed it up proper yesterday. No rain yet however.
  5. Salmo_g

    Fish and Culverts

    I beg to differ Matt. First though, let me say that I also support the action of reconnecting fish habitat. We have loads of data regarding fish productivity per unit area, i.e., the rule of thumb that one square meter of suitable juvenile coho habitat produces 0.5 coho smolts. We have...
  6. Salmo_g

    Rock Island Fishing Camp (BC stillwater trip)

    We had to drive Hwy 24 from Barriere to 100 Mile House as part of a detour around wildfires on the way to Williams Lake two weeks ago. Your report reminds me that I want to do a trout trip one of these days. It really isn't so far. Thanks for sharing!
  7. Salmo_g

    Navigable River Designations in Oregon

    The Oregon AG did no favor to the state's citizen majority with that opinion. Riparian owners tend to be more affluent and have more access to lawyers than non-riparian owners, so IMO that is why state AGs tend to bend toward the owners' favor. There is a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that I have...
  8. Salmo_g

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    All of a sudden, I too am swamped with ripening tomatoes. Because of a setback during the spring, I ended up with more Sungold tomato plants than I usually have. We absolutely love them with green salads, but I'm at the point of just having tomato salad without the lettuce, cucumbers...
  9. Salmo_g

    NFR Data Centers near you?

    I have some bad news for you Rob. China will become the dominant world power. It's a matter of when, not if. China has a huge land base and three times the population of the U.S. China employs strategic policies that shift its international dominance upward. In contrast, the U.S. employs...
  10. Salmo_g

    NFR Data Centers near you?

    Rob, you have said that all things are not either black or white with you and that you understand shades of gray. However, when you post like this, you're sending the message that you don't understand gray at all. Energy sources lie along an environmental gradient ranging from the cleanest to...
  11. Salmo_g

    SFR Old Trails Fire Update

    Before I left nearly two weeks ago I read that you wondered how your house would fare. So sorry to learn that you lost it. Add my sympathies to the many expressed here. I heard that 600 to 700 homes were at risk. Is there a tally as to how many houses were lost to this fire? I was driving...
  12. Salmo_g

    What Are You Eating?

    Recipe for perfect corn on the cob: Add 1/4" of cold water to frying pan that has a lid. Place on stove, turn on burner. Go out to garden and pick fresh ears of corn, husk, and take back to kitchen. Place ears in the now boiling water, place lid on pan, set timer for 3 minutes. No more than...
  13. Salmo_g

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I had always thought that the hotter, the better, regarding tomatoes. And that lack of hot weather was why it was so hard to get ripe tomatoes in western WA. It was you guys who lerned me that they actually prefer 60 - 80* F temps. I had only been growing tomatoes in my "tomato shed," a tall...
  14. Salmo_g

    If You Could Create Your Own Fish

    It would be a rainbow trout - after all, I'm salmo g., the former Latin name for rainbow trout and steelhead. These would be rainbow trout and or steelhead ranging from 6 to 14 pounds, mint bright, but with Alaskan rainbow leopard spots, and full of piss and vinegar, like Naknek River rainbows...
  15. Salmo_g

    SFR "Premium" purchases you found to be "worth it"

    Handmade Shamberg fly reel, was $450 when I bought it. It could outlast a Hardy, and I have a few of them. Hardy reels are over-priced, IMO, but I don't regret the money I spent on them. They will all likely outlast me, and the next owner or owners as well.
  16. Salmo_g

    Who said fly fishing is expensive.....

    Totally different life history. The Russian steelhead rivers are tributary to the Sea of Okhotsk, not the Pacific Ocean. The Sea of Okhotsk freezes over during the winter, unlike the Pacific Ocean, and steelhead ascend rivers in the fall and over winter under the ice, similar to Atlantic...
  17. Salmo_g

    Any Pass Lake locals/Gurus want to fish Monday or Tuesday?

    It's been over three decades since I lived in the area, but I always figured July and August were the worst months of the year to fish any of the lowland lakes (for trout), Pass included.
  18. Salmo_g

    NFR Sinlahekin Fire still at "0" containment and spreading!

    Dean, I hope both your mom and your home turn out OK. That's a lot to deal with.
  19. Salmo_g

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I used to have a neighbor who was a dahlia growing fanatic. I don't recall how many varieties he had, but it was a lot. And the blooms, they were bigger than my head. His back yard was a kaleidoscope of colors.
Back
Top