Search results

  1. Salmo_g

    Up at the crack: fishing day breakfasts?

    Partial as I am to bacon and eggs, there isn't always time. Costco must have a limited supply of Bob's steel cut oats because they frequently run out. So I bought 4 sacks the last time they had them. I make a big double batch, add brown sugar and craisins, and store them in plastic quart...
  2. Salmo_g

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I picked a half ton of tomatoes yesterday before the rain shower came. I may need to make a Costco run to get some more bacon to have BLT sammiches for the next two weeks.
  3. Salmo_g

    Up at the crack: fishing day breakfasts?

    I don't function without breakfast. So, Hempler's uncured bacon, two eggs over easy, and two slices of toast - Dave's Killer bread - with butter & home made freezer jam. Black coffee and another in the travel mug for the road. Unless I'm camping, then it's old fashioned rolled oats with...
  4. Salmo_g

    Sage Sonic

    I broke the tip section of my Sage Z-Axis 7136 a couple of weeks ago. I contacted Sage and was told I could get a replacement tip section for it, so I was pretty happy. I built the rod from a blank and used some pretty nice components on it. Imagine my disappointment today when Sage told me...
  5. Salmo_g

    Rain

    Some extraordinary monsoons in southern Utah and northern Arizona. Massive flooding of Bright Angel Creek (2 dead and 15 missing) in Grand Canyon National Park and around Zion National Park. Monsoon flash floods are normal in that area, but these seem atypical. I wonder if that's the super El...
  6. Salmo_g

    What Are You Eating?

    How would you describe the flavor of Australian coral cod compared to fish we may be more familiar with, like Pacific true cod, ling cod, or halibut?
  7. Salmo_g

    Chinook observed in Klamath River tributary above Iron Gate

    I'm curious about Keno and Link dams. They are described as having fish passage. Given that downstream passage of juvenile fish is more problematic than upstream passage of adult fish, I wonder what specific facilities, if any, these dams have to facilitate the safe downstream movement of...
  8. Salmo_g

    OFFICIAL 2026 NFL SEASON DISCUSSION

    Kinda' remind me of the Mariners. Consistently comer up short, perpetually disappointing.
  9. Salmo_g

    OFFICIAL 2026 NFL SEASON DISCUSSION

    What's with Meyers missing some pretty basic extra points and field goals lately? Do kicking legs wear out like running backs? Is his aim affected by lack of sleep or alcohol consumption? Wonder what gives.
  10. Salmo_g

    whole other level

    We are doomed. Might as well go fishing.
  11. Salmo_g

    The Final Fishing Trip

    Your story was going along just fine until I read "early onset," and then I knew. Yeah, you had to do it, and you'll forever be so glad you did. Good on ya' both!
  12. Salmo_g

    Puget Sound

    Nice looking fillets ya' got there!
  13. Salmo_g

    Stillwater indicator line

    This makes sense to me. A traditionally tapered fly line is designed for casting nearly smallish flies with next to no weight nor bulk. Attaching an Ira-sized bobbercator immediately transforms and messes up the line design equation. I did a similar thing in my experiment with dirty azzed...
  14. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    My schedule is pretty flexible to meet up with you so you can enlighten my gear and technique. I think I'm a proficient Spey caster although not a particularly good one; i.e., can't even Snake roll.
  15. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    I haven't tried one of those lines in a long while, and when I did I wasn't very good at it. For general fishing I prefer integrated lines or at least coated running line. I've got that covered for both floating line and Skagit/sink tip options. I started this thread to address a specific...
  16. Salmo_g

    Recommendations for Backpacking Wading Boots

    I have an old set of Teva sandals that I glued felts to. They work quite well, but I don't carry them backpacking. They're great for day hiking or other warm weather wet wading.
  17. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    Downriver79 posted a link to a Rage 450, and I ordered it. I'll find out how much tip it can handle. SSPey is sending me a 28' head that weighs 450, so this may be my solution. I looked at Bridge and don't remember exactly, but it seems that lighter heads like the 450 are short, so another...
  18. Salmo_g

    Recommendations for Backpacking Wading Boots

    As a backpacking weight weenie, my hiking shoes are also my wading shoes. Boots of any kind are too heavy to be part of my backpacking wardrobe. I wear trail runners; however I walk, don't run, in them.
  19. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    I looked at that, but the 450 gr head is only 24' long. Unfortunately, a deal breaker for me. It's 3' shorter than the old traditional Rio beer can Skagit that is 27' long. There is nothing magic about 27', but at least with a head that long I don't keep blowing my anchors while casting. And...
  20. Salmo_g

    Skagit, or sorta' Skagit head

    I still have old stock Rio Skagit integrated lines in 450 gr that I've been casting 8 wt 15' Rio Versa tips with for years on a 7 wt 13' 4" CND Solstice. A 10 wt 15' tip would be an awkward challenge for the 450 gr Skagit, but not 8 wt. Agreed that a traditional non-tapered "beer can" Skagit...
Back
Top