Search results

  1. Salmo_g

    So Long and Thanks For All The Fishes

    That's some perspective! In 2000 I bought a new Subaru Outback for just a little more than I paid for my first house. Three years ago we bought a new Toyota Tacoma for very slightly less than TWICE what I paid for that first house. Sure is nice that cars and trucks last so many more miles...
  2. Salmo_g

    Today is my Alive Day

    Clearly Jerry, you're meant to cook more camp meals, make more casts, hook more fish . . .
  3. Salmo_g

    Coffee talk

    Grind matters! I buy the House Blend at Olympic Roasters locally and always ask to have it ground for a cone filter. Three slightly heaping scoops makes for a just right pot of coffee. The other day the gal didn't set the grinder correctly, and I brought home coffee that is more coarsely...
  4. Salmo_g

    FS classic Fenwick fiberglass FF85 2 pc

    I have one of those. Very nice rod!
  5. Salmo_g

    Naknek

    It's been too long for me. I keep thinking of making the trip again. Highest quality rainbow trout anywhere. They run into the backing like Dean steelhead. Have a great week!
  6. Salmo_g

    What you watching. 😆

    We stopped going to movie theaters when we finished building our house 16 years ago. They play 20 minutes or more of TV commercials before the film starts, and no way will I pay good money to watch fvckin' TV commercials. That, and audience members using their fvckin' cell phones during the...
  7. Salmo_g

    Freshwater coho flies

    I've picked up coho incidentally on swung flies, but it's not the way I target coho. Most have come on stripped flies, but then I don't fly fish for coho very much.
  8. Salmo_g

    Coho run coming up short?

    I've been thinking about this. The Washington Department of Salmon will spend more money on patrol to harass anglers (when conservation IS NOT the reason for a closure) than if they had just allocated the money to monitor a fishery in the first place. We'll find out next Skagit steelhead season.
  9. Salmo_g

    Stilli opener delayed

    Reminder, unless something's changed, the Stilly is closed during the summer (since 2015 I think) because the Stillaguamish Tribal Chairman wants it closed for Stilly Chinook conservation. I talked to the Regional Biologist about this and suggested that the Department (of salmon) could impose a...
  10. Salmo_g

    Sage Sonic

    No fish involved. I swear I wasn't high sticking, but technically it would likely be classified as high sticking. The tip broke in two places, not quite a foot apart. It's in my DNA to try to repair and save things, so I did a little filing on the remaining black and glued the upper section...
  11. Salmo_g

    Stilli opener delayed

    I think it was two, perhaps three, years ago. A trio of anglers hooked, and maybe landed 15 Chinook over a weekend, maybe it was a 3-day weekend, and posted about it on Instagram or other social media. Yes, 3 idiots got the the river shut down by "handling" the entire allowable ESA incidental...
  12. Salmo_g

    Sage Sonic

    The replacement Sonic 7136-4 arrived from Sage (Farbank) today. It's a good looking build, just not as cool as my custom Z-Axis that I used a bird's eye stabilized maple reel seat with nickle silver hardware. Anxious to cast it. On the lawn it bends about the same as the Z-Axis and "wiggles"...
  13. Salmo_g

    Stilli opener delayed

    Curt, I haven't spent time in the area for a lot of years, but my recollection is that the Chinook were pretty much finished with spawning by the end of September, same as the Skagit. Not the case?
  14. Salmo_g

    Stilli opener delayed

    IMO, just shows that WDFW has become irrelevant to trout and steelhead fishing and management in rivers these days. I think this goes back to the 2015 season on the Stilly. Screw WDFW. Fly fishing with 5 or 6 wt rods and floating lines won't harm any Chinook. I'm planning to be up north next...
  15. Salmo_g

    SFR 101 Bridge over Hoh River will close for repairs

    I have a trip scheduled the 30th. Looks like we can cross over the evening of the 29th and then make haste back south on the 30th.
  16. Salmo_g

    Bogey question

    First off, rainbows and cutthroat are salmonids, so at first I thought you were wanting to fish for large scale suckers or sculpins. I've fished the Bogie in September a couple of times over the years and found it to be a pretty good cutthroat stream.
  17. Salmo_g

    Skagit Closure

    According to Occupy Skagit (V 2.0) the entire Skagit River is open to CNR fishing. And according to Jim Travers Main Ammendment, it's as open as you want it to be. So there!
  18. Salmo_g

    Please

    Can't forget. Just like with the JFK assassination, I'll always remember where I was - driving north on I-5 north of Seattle with a work colleague. We were on our way to a Skagit fisheries meeting in LaConner when we heard the initial radio report. Like a lot of people, and I think the radio...
  19. Salmo_g

    OFFICIAL 2026 NFL SEASON DISCUSSION

    And I thought it would be the Rams I would have to be concerned about when the Seahawks play. Now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive for the game against the 49ers.
  20. Salmo_g

    OFFICIAL 2026 NFL SEASON DISCUSSION

    It's odd to be rooting for the Niners, but it just makes sense to cheer for whoever is playing against the Rams.
Back
Top