I wanted to try out the new floatie and had the hankering for moving water. I just don't fish rivers enough. So went to my usual spot where I can self shuttle with the bike.
Not sure what the deal was, but the fish were tight lipped. Full moon? Water dropping and cooling? Not sure, but it made for a lot of casting practice...which was good!
I only caught 3 or 4 dinks and the only decent fish landed was this fiesty 13" guy that must be the dumb one. Poor guy has been caught a few times.

I lost his twin and had a angry swirl, but rejection from a very nice fish. That one would've been fun.
Was on the river by 8 or so. Still some mist making for a cool shot-

Not much action until after this nice lunch spot.

Saw crane flies, #12 light caddis, #18 & 22 BWOs, #16 light cahills, and some giant #6 October caddis, but nothing real steady. The tiny BWOs were the only real "hatch" and that only lasted about an hour. I saw one decent fish rise to them. I only caught dinks on them.
All my decent fish or decent almost fish were on a #10...as I call it... October Wulff. Think Yellow Wulff, but with that great October caddis orange. Not sure why they didn't like my usual October caddis pattern today, but the Wulff saved the day.
I had to keep reminding myself that to be out, floating and wading down the river on a pleasant fall day was enough. There was nobody else on the section I floated so that was really nice. Pretty nice view-
I saw a salmon roll to my left just as I was floating from tail out to the top of the next run. I pulled over down a ways and then walked up to see if it was on a redd. Sure enough. Can you see the fish? Not sure if it was a hen or a buck. I think I saw the fish roll lower than this so the mate might be close by, but fading fast. The only others I saw were crawdad bait.

The Wigeon was great. Definitely lighter in the water than the old water ballast Commander. Shorter too, which was good for a couple rock gardens. The oars are goofy, but they work well. I was surprised how little effort was needed to steer. It's slow in a straight line, like on the lake, but very responsive on the river. I think it drafts less (as designed like Water Master) and weighs less. I need to figure out a better foot strap/bar thingy. I just used a NRS strap since the one the sent was a bit of a joke. Other than that I dig it.
Felt good to fish dries most of the day, even though I know I could've done better nymphing. Dries are just more fun. And the new Maxxon Stone Fly did great. The reel not so much, but the rod is nice. Very accurate at 40'. I'll be fishing it more!
Not sure what the deal was, but the fish were tight lipped. Full moon? Water dropping and cooling? Not sure, but it made for a lot of casting practice...which was good!
I only caught 3 or 4 dinks and the only decent fish landed was this fiesty 13" guy that must be the dumb one. Poor guy has been caught a few times.

I lost his twin and had a angry swirl, but rejection from a very nice fish. That one would've been fun.
Was on the river by 8 or so. Still some mist making for a cool shot-

Not much action until after this nice lunch spot.

Saw crane flies, #12 light caddis, #18 & 22 BWOs, #16 light cahills, and some giant #6 October caddis, but nothing real steady. The tiny BWOs were the only real "hatch" and that only lasted about an hour. I saw one decent fish rise to them. I only caught dinks on them.
All my decent fish or decent almost fish were on a #10...as I call it... October Wulff. Think Yellow Wulff, but with that great October caddis orange. Not sure why they didn't like my usual October caddis pattern today, but the Wulff saved the day.
I had to keep reminding myself that to be out, floating and wading down the river on a pleasant fall day was enough. There was nobody else on the section I floated so that was really nice. Pretty nice view-
I saw a salmon roll to my left just as I was floating from tail out to the top of the next run. I pulled over down a ways and then walked up to see if it was on a redd. Sure enough. Can you see the fish? Not sure if it was a hen or a buck. I think I saw the fish roll lower than this so the mate might be close by, but fading fast. The only others I saw were crawdad bait.

The Wigeon was great. Definitely lighter in the water than the old water ballast Commander. Shorter too, which was good for a couple rock gardens. The oars are goofy, but they work well. I was surprised how little effort was needed to steer. It's slow in a straight line, like on the lake, but very responsive on the river. I think it drafts less (as designed like Water Master) and weighs less. I need to figure out a better foot strap/bar thingy. I just used a NRS strap since the one the sent was a bit of a joke. Other than that I dig it.
Felt good to fish dries most of the day, even though I know I could've done better nymphing. Dries are just more fun. And the new Maxxon Stone Fly did great. The reel not so much, but the rod is nice. Very accurate at 40'. I'll be fishing it more!
