Recent content by SteelHeadDave

  1. SteelHeadDave

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    Melons. Minnesota Midget Cantaloupe Blacktail Mountain Watermelon
  2. SteelHeadDave

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Not coastal, the mountains my friend.
  3. SteelHeadDave

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Yes, that’s a picture from the final results of a class she did. Students each go home with samples and ID cards of everything they dyed. She definitely knows more about mushrooms than me. I’m just an edible collector at heart but I’ve opened up to the dye realm a bit. It’s mostly about the hunt...
  4. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    Went 4/7 yesterday with the nicest ones getting away of course. I realized, only after breaking off several larger coho, that my leader was most likely expired. I should have considered this the day prior when I also broke off a good one on a wind knot. Brand new leader, 15lb Maxima. I actually...
  5. SteelHeadDave

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Spent a few days camping and mushroom hunting last week in one of my favorite areas. The timing was just right for the kings. Very few blowouts and mostly pristine quality specimens. Checked out a small, but reliable, hike in rainbow spot. It’s usually a little past prime this time of year...
  6. SteelHeadDave

    Official Beach Line Thread

    Thanks for the tip. Are you pairing the 7wt line to a 6 or 7wt Meridian?
  7. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    That thing has some shoulders. Nice fish!!
  8. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    Thanks, SF, it’s very possible that was Pink Shrimp. I remember they were all curled up (head touching tail) just like if you blanched some cocktail shrimp. One of my few regrets in life is not taking advantage of such a generous offering 😁
  9. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    This was from late August of this year. Stomach contents of a standard resident. Here’s a question I’ve had for many years. Probably 15 years ago or so I caught a beautiful coho in MA9 that was absolutely stuffed with shrimp. The kind of shrimp I want to cook for dinner, not the krill...
  10. SteelHeadDave

    Tuna 9/15/2026 with Captain Clayton

    As far as canning vs freezing and general processing goes… My method has been to: trim bloodline off loins and save for crab bait and/or cat food. Trim off the thin side of the loin that has the sinew/muscle fibers. Trim off the last 3-4 inches of the tail of the loin, which also contains a...
  11. SteelHeadDave

    What are you watching?

    Minneapolis (and St. Paul) are great cities and well worth a visit. Warm, down to earth people, awesome food and arts, vibrant culture. I almost moved there instead of Seattle when I was younger, but the extreme winters made me think twice.
  12. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    I go by Dave to everyone except my immediate relatives. If anyone else calls me David, especially my girlfriend, I feel like I’m in trouble. 😁
  13. SteelHeadDave

    Puget Sound

    That was an exceptional fish @KFCDAVE! I couldn’t get any love from the coho today. Had me questioning my fly selection, flash material, leader length, etc. At one point, and after he had landed multiple fish right next to me, @KFCDAVE took pity on me and offered up one of his flies to me. I...
Back
Top