Recent content by Jim in Anacortes

  1. J

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    Dolly Parton: "I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren't in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets."
  2. J

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    I hit her with my car. I had to stop because I didn't have enough gas to go around her.
  3. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    This mushroom is edible and it does taste like chicken. But it lacks in the gourmet food category of the Chanterelle and Lobster.
  4. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    And I always enjoy looking at the other mushrooms. "Chicken of the woods" for example.
  5. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    I will add ..there are many edible mushrooms available for harvest, and all are very delicious. The list is long.. and most worthy of study. But for me... this time of year... it's all about the Chanterelles and Lobsters. After a good rain soak... it's like an Easter egg hunt in the deep forest.
  6. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Three to ten days after the first real rains hit Mt Baker is when I have found shrooms. I am not an expert or professional, but I know something about this. I head out on Hwy 20 East, into the mountains. This is where the fun starts. Look for sunlit areas in the dark woods. Look for any and all...
  7. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Chantrelle's are ohhh so good.... soup, omelettes, Pizza ..whatever...but dang... those Lobster Mushrooms...cooked with butter.. kick ass. So tasty, so chewy, so full of flavor...IMHO they are like the "bacon" of the mushrooms.
  8. J

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    So, I am assuming that the Lobster and Chanterelles will be popping out soon in the Mt Baker cascades area, after the first good soaking rain we get.
  9. J

    NFR Swordfish

    The first sentence I typed in this thread is "This is one of my favorite fish to eat." For me, any Swordfish sold at any American market can be quite a treat. My culinary advice....Soak the fish in Italian Salad Dressing, from two hours to over night. (Bernstiens is the best)... Cook it on a...
  10. J

    NFR Swordfish

    Dang.. I thought I was just jawing about flammable wood, destructive animals, and good tasting fish with cool noses. I don't know nothing about "hyper fixations", or defecting gold....But I will accept your post as a complement.
  11. J

    NFR Swordfish

    I never cared much for Marlin meat as table fare (stringy) (and often illegal), but I was always very keen on getting the spike for arts and crafts.
  12. J

    NFR Swordfish

    The dense, bony structure and natural, gradual taper of a bill made it an exceptionally strong material for separating the thick strands of hemp or manila rope when splicing lines or untying hardened knots. Here are a few examples of what these biological tools looked like: Antique...
  13. J

    NFR Swordfish

    Years ago I had access to as may of these "swords" as I wanted. I also had access to actual "marlinspikes". Most saltwater fisherman know what a "marlinspike" is....a tool that is used in the art of marlinspike seamanship (knot tying).....normally made of stainless steel today ...but long ago...
  14. J

    NFR Swordfish

    Because the broadbill's rostrum is made of highly dense, solid bone with tapered, smooth edges, it naturally lends itself to being mounted into a hilt. Antique Sailor-Made Swordfish Bill. Source: Rafael Osona Auctions Sailor-Made Souvenirs and Weapons During the 18th and 19th centuries, it was...
  15. J

    NFR Swordfish

    There is only one species of swordfish globally: the broadbill swordfish (Xiphias gladius). It is the sole living member of the Xiphiidae family. While they are marketed under different regional names, every swordfish caught commercially belongs to this single highly migratory species. Easyfish...
Back
Top