Recent content by Cabezon

  1. Cabezon

    Mushroom and other wild edible foraging

    Not an edible mushroom, but quite distinctive, golden Pholiota (Pholiota aurivella). On a walk this afternoon, I encountered a cluster of these that had emerged from the cut trunk of a cottonwood. Steve
  2. Cabezon

    An unplanned purchase

    Craft shops have traditionally been a solid spot to find some types of materials. I like them for foam sheets in different colors, for example. Steve
  3. Cabezon

    NFR Humor (No political jokes)

    Could you argue that he is "two-faced"??? Steve
  4. Cabezon

    Bolivia

    Thank you for sharing such a memorable trip with so many interesting angles. Steve
  5. Cabezon

    Massachusetts striped bass, August 2026

    Striped Bass Fishing Trip, late August 2026. During my biennial visit to the Boston area to visit my siblings, we will charter a guide to take my middle brother and I fishing for striped bass. Even though he only fishes a single day every two years or so (he’s more into golf), he is game and I...
  6. Cabezon

    Puget Sound

    Those look like typical gammarid amphipods. The three major groups of amphipods are gammarids (= scuds, the type of amphipod that you would find in tide pools or on a sandy beach (e.g., beach hoppers) or at Rocky Ford, hyperiids (amphipods with very large, elongate eyes, and caprelllids (aka...
  7. Cabezon

    Puget Sound

    I agree that those are krill, most likely Pacific krill (Euphausia pacifica). Another possibility would be mysids (relatives of amphipods and isopods). There are several species of mysids that form dense schools along the shoreline. Mysids are similar in shape to krill but do not reach as...
  8. Cabezon

    Backyard Wildlife

    I needed to trim some vine maples that were starting to overhang the roof. I trimmed out the tip branches that had leaves from the main trunks and piled the leafy tips up outside my office window. As expected, the deer herd found the leaves irresistible. At one point, there were four does...
  9. Cabezon

    Albacore trip, 1 September 2026

    Yes, it was miserable. It didn't let up until we were inside the breakwater at Westport. The whole boat shook with many of the wave hits that we experienced. Normally, it is not unusual to have water running over the roof and onto the aft deck on the way out (actually, it was not that bad on...
  10. Cabezon

    Albacore trip, 1 September 2026

    Not that far offshore. 76 miles northwest from Westport, probably 60ish miles off the nearest point on the coast. Only our boat and the Intrepid a long way from home... Steve
  11. Cabezon

    Tuna 2026

    You can find my detailed report on the Tuesday trip here: Tuesday tuna trip. I enjoyed fishing with @Burt Dagger . He has great enthusiasm. Some new blood in the albacore crews. Steve
  12. Cabezon

    Albacore trip, 1 September 2026

    Albacore Tuna, Tuesday, 1 September 2026. Due to personnel availability issues, All Rivers had blocked fly-fishing tuna charters until September 1st. So, my team and I would be the first fly trip on All Rivers. [I know that Nick has taken fly groups out on his new boat, the Reel Electric.]...
  13. Cabezon

    Backyard Wildlife

    Bandtail Pigeon. Arriving en masse, a flock of 20-30 bandtail pigeons migrates into my neighborhood in late spring each year, a clear sign of the change of seasons. The local birds would have overwintered in Central and Southern California. A local attractor for this flock is the cracked corn...
  14. Cabezon

    Got any bird pics?

    Black phoebes have been expanding their range north. There are several at Ridgefield NWR, not far from your house. And your bankside location would be a prime ambush spot for bugs hatching in the river or traveling along the river corridor. Steve
Back
Top