You show me yours, and I'll show you mine?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I share often, maybe the teacher in me. I want everyone to succeed. I shared several leeches the other day, and it really turned things around for them. Lots of animated laughter after that. Neat to see.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What?……wait, you never do that with me!

I’m ok with sharing info and flies as long as people aren’t obnoxious about it. If I’m near someone that is obviously struggling and they keep looking over when I’m catching fish I’ll offer some flies & techniques. A lot of times if I’m heading out and folks are just putting in, they’ll ask how the fishing was and I’ll give them flies and point them in the right direction. Especially if they are new to the area or have kids with them.
I have had people see me with fish on and immediately come over and start fishing a few feet from me, that kind of irritates me and I usually work my way to another spot. It’s always funny too if they still don’t catch anything sitting right where I was a few minutes ago. One day I was on my local C&R lake and this drift boat launches. The local rivers were blown and I could tell it was a guide with clients. I was the one of two boats on the water and was fishing a small area back and forth on a drop off I usually fish. This guy rows right over to within 10 yds of me, drops anchor, then proceeds to set his clients up with bobber rigs right where I was moving around. Needless to say I didn’t offer up anything when they went fish less.
You got low-holed on a lake. So low-laked? :ROFLMAO:

Same with me. If I think you're a nice dude from your actions and/or words I'll help you out with flies, depth, setup, etc. If not, I'm very quiet.

It also depends on the setting. If it's Lenice or someplace like that where there's a bunch of people then it's almost like a social gathering rather than a "day out in the wild for peace & quiet". But if I hoofed it 2 miles to get to my favorite lake or run for some "peace & quiet" then I may not be quite as friendly if you just come right up on me. Might get the "end of my line" in those cases. :cool:

Also depends on the resource too. Boat full of dudes float up on me on a native steelhead river? I'll be pretty damn quiet. Usually a "nothing today" even if I have caught something.

The opposite would be musky fishing. When I fish for musky on Mayfield or Tapps the gear guys are always very open on colors or lures that are working so I also share color and size of the fly if I had follows or actually caught one. Musky fisherman know it's already hard enough. Nobody is going to fish out the lake with the magic lure or fly. And, they're planted & sterile fish. Totally different vibe than native steelhead, trout or salmon. They still have to be half-way nice though. As is life.

Divad

Whitefish
A reminder to share if you see me on the lake striking out or I’ll cast my pink daisy rod with treble hook spinner at you and your fish.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
In Colorado, the standard reply used to be, “a Pink Lady”. We asked one old cowboy up in the mountains and he looked at us disdainfully and said, “A green fly. If they’re eating green bugs, you got to use a green fly”.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
In Colorado, the standard reply used to be, “a Pink Lady”. We asked one old cowboy up in the mountains and he looked at us disdainfully and said, “A green fly. If they’re eating green bugs, you got to use a green fly”.
Before a friend of mine got involved in the "industry", his stock answer when someone would ask him what he was using was "rattlesnake tails".

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What?……wait, you never do that with me!

I’m ok with sharing info and flies as long as people aren’t obnoxious about it. If I’m near someone that is obviously struggling and they keep looking over when I’m catching fish I’ll offer some flies & techniques. A lot of times if I’m heading out and folks are just putting in, they’ll ask how the fishing was and I’ll give them flies and point them in the right direction. Especially if they are new to the area or have kids with them.
I have had people see me with fish on and immediately come over and start fishing a few feet from me, that kind of irritates me and I usually work my way to another spot. It’s always funny too if they still don’t catch anything sitting right where I was a few minutes ago. One day I was on my local C&R lake and this drift boat launches. The local rivers were blown and I could tell it was a guide with clients. I was the one of two boats on the water and was fishing a small area back and forth on a drop off I usually fish. This guy rows right over to within 10 yds of me, drops anchor, then proceeds to set his clients up with bobber rigs right where I was moving around. Needless to say I didn’t offer up anything when they went fish less.
I tend to invite these kind of interactions. I take people off guard, as my wife likes to say, with my friendliness. I’d likely kick/row/motor on over and anchor/hold onto them. I have done this in these situations, and they either move or we end up having a hoot of a time.

Last year on a local lake, I managed to coral what was likely the entire school of the larger plants the state implemented into the system before the traditional opener. I make it clear on these lakes, that I’m more than willing to help folks if they want it. I give away flies, tie up leaders, offer advice… and after an hour of absolutely pounding the hell out of the stockers, I managed to convince two different parties to tie up to me with their non anchored boats. 4 people landed their first fish on the fly rod that day, and four grateful people drove home with their limits. Granted, not a catch and release situation, but one hell of a good time!

RCF

Life of the Party
@Irafly - there is no better feeling than helping people catch their first fish especially on a flyrod. I have done it several times. KUDOs to you for taking your time and experience making others life long dreams come true.