You show me yours, and I'll show you mine?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Guess I’ll play devils advocate,I always thought of fishing as something you have to figure ou.I won’t ask what fly there using or what Lake thier fishing,It’s a challenge to figure things out for myself.Sometimes I find out what works sometimes I don’t.I do listen to the gents at the fly shop and match the hatch,most of the time I have success sometimes I don’t.I guess I really don’t care if people catch fish or not ,try harder watch what’s hatching put some effort into it,I find it more enjoyable when it all comes together and you figured it out.Your not always going to be successful but even if someone has done all the work for you there’s no personal satisfaction in the sport.Just my 02 cents
I get plenty of personal satisfaction catching fish using advice and tips from fellow fisherman.
Every time we fish we use techniques that were figured out by someone else before us 99.9% of the time.
It is fun though to feed the ego by thinking we're the smarter guy on a givin day on the water.

Last edited:

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Once on a lake I was catching fish at a good pace a another fisherman came within ten feet ask what I was using so I told him something total different from what I was using he put it on an caught 4 fish in a row turn around an thank me, as they say no deed goes unpunished:unsure:

Pez Vela

Steelhead
A bunch of us were once fishing Lenice, and a buddy came up with a big grin and thanked me for recommending a particular fly... said he caught a bunch of fish on it! I asked him which fly that was because I never tell anyone the same thing... he refused to say.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The groups that use radios at Lenice crack me up. sometimes they are obviously trying not to let out their “secret” patterns. But voices carry so well over water … and not everyone in the group remembers the code names of the flies 🤣
Sounds like the exact opposite type of anglers I want to fish with.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I look at each situation differently and try to understand what they're really asking. Some are simply being friendly and doing fine on their own. Some believe fly choice is everything. Some are brand new or just plain lost out there. In any case I hope to connect and relate, even make a new friend if I don't already know them. The fishing part is just a bonus.

I always share flies. That seems to be the universal code among anglers. Mine are nothing fancy, and usually most like to share theirs as well. When they do, that's my new fly for the day.

If appropriate I'll look to have them understand current events in the water and how to react. The real challenge in that is having another person attempt the unseen part that comes natural to me. I don't claim to be anything special, but same idea as a pitcher or piano player telling you exactly what to do - then you try it for yourself and something gets very lost in the translation.

If you find the right circumstance/person, one of my favorite things to do is set my own rod down (or hand it to them) and they fish while you coach. They experience the motions exactly as you would, while your teaching skills are put to the test. Catch or no catch, you both come out ahead.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I look at each situation differently and try to understand what they're really asking. Some are simply being friendly and doing fine on their own. Some believe fly choice is everything. Some are brand new or just plain lost out there. In any case I hope to connect and relate, even make a new friend if I don't already know them. The fishing part is just a bonus.

I always share flies. That seems to be the universal code among anglers. Mine are nothing fancy, and usually most like to share theirs as well. When they do, that's my new fly for the day.

If appropriate I'll look to have them understand current events in the water and how to react. The real challenge in that is having another person attempt the unseen part that comes natural to me. I don't claim to be anything special, but same idea as a pitcher or piano player telling you exactly what to do - then you try it for yourself and something gets very lost in the translation.

If you find the right circumstance/person, one of my favorite things to do is set my own rod down (or hand it to them) and they fish while you coach. They experience the motions exactly as you would, while your teaching skills are put to the test. Catch or no catch, you both come out ahead.
Tim you remember that day on Pass lake we both cast to the same rising fish got our lines tangle you speed haul to get your line back so I wouldn't see your fly because I was going to cut yours off, that day you was catching three to my one :giggle: (y)

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Your learning curve to understanding that indicators sometimes don’t go under happened quick. I also learned a lot that day.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Your learning curve to understanding that indicators sometimes don’t go under happened quick. I also learned a lot that day.
That was a classic! I also remember us under that tree trying to free up our shit, and glad no one was around to see it 🙃😄🤡

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
The groups that use radios at Lenice crack me up. sometimes they are obviously trying not to let out their “secret” patterns. But voices carry so well over water … and not everyone in the group remembers the code names of the flies 🤣
We use radios a lot but I’ve never fished Lenice so I’m not one of them 😀 Most of my buds are of an age where the volume is on high constantly so there’s broadcasting for sure, we don’t care though. That said it cracks my up that folks don’t realise how far your voice can travel and you often hear stuff you’d rather you didn’t or someone calling you an asshole for catching fish or pointing out they may want to try something else 😀

All said I do not care re sharing intel and if someone is putting on a show, I’ll make a friendly ask of what fly, depth, static etc. folks are usually pretty reasonable about it. What does tick me off is the gradual crowding of boats around you within a cast or two if you are in a hot spot. It’s like lake low holing.

Dave

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
"I've never fished here before, so I'm not the person to ask"
Or
"this is my first day of fishing in Xx years. So its all new to me again"

Both of which are pretty accurate

Last edited:

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I’ve gained a lot by learning from folks I’ve fished with, or met at a lake.

also, on any given day stuff I overhear may be helpful.
Overhearing some say the fish are suspended mid-water-column has been most helpful as I rarely figure that out on my own.
Jay

onefish

Steelhead
I share info freely among friends, relatively freely to fellow anglers who I deem as good guys, a holes get zippo.
I too am in the radio crowd. Sharing intel just makes the day more interesting.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m a bit secretive about specific lakes or other fishing spots but absolutely not with my flies or techniques (if I figure it out). View attachment 49980
A pair that worked well on a small Basin lake - the one on the right has been a consistent producer (until last year) on my favorite lake in BC. I call it the —— Olive. Size 13 & 15.
Leaves me out as I only have even hooks.

Islander

Life of the Party

What?……wait, you never do that with me!

I’m ok with sharing info and flies as long as people aren’t obnoxious about it. If I’m near someone that is obviously struggling and they keep looking over when I’m catching fish I’ll offer some flies & techniques. A lot of times if I’m heading out and folks are just putting in, they’ll ask how the fishing was and I’ll give them flies and point them in the right direction. Especially if they are new to the area or have kids with them.
I have had people see me with fish on and immediately come over and start fishing a few feet from me, that kind of irritates me and I usually work my way to another spot. It’s always funny too if they still don’t catch anything sitting right where I was a few minutes ago. One day I was on my local C&R lake and this drift boat launches. The local rivers were blown and I could tell it was a guide with clients. I was the one of two boats on the water and was fishing a small area back and forth on a drop off I usually fish. This guy rows right over to within 10 yds of me, drops anchor, then proceeds to set his clients up with bobber rigs right where I was moving around. Needless to say I didn’t offer up anything when they went fish less.

Last edited: