You show me yours, and I'll show you mine?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like to share. Unless you're that guy that cut in line at the ramp at Umtanum or the guy that low holed me up by Thorp. Then.....when you ask what's working (and they both did) I may tell you something smart assed like "poppers"....
My what are you using reply for those types is "I think the guy at the hardware store called it a nymph"

Divad

Whitefish
I’ll practically climb in your boat and demand that you take flies from me so you can catch fish if I think it will help you. I have people tie up to my boat all the time so I can help them out. As such, I may or may not have been accused of Hubris!

On the flip side, I have no pride when it comes to begging for information from others. I don’t have much need to “figure it out for myself”.
This is the type of angler I hope more can become, and I continue to aim for. Thank you Ira!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I should get a pack of Pistol Pete flies (those flies with a propeller on the front) to hand out....but they'd probably start catching fish on the damn things.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I was once fishing a part of a river close to the road and had a car full of guys pull up and ask how the fishing was and what fly I was using. I told them that the fishing was really slow and that the fish were really small hoping to deter them and showed them my fly. They immediately parked, all jumped out of the car and threw on their gear, grabbed their rods and then low holed me.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in the cusp time of when fishing an indicator in a lake meant to most that you were fishing chironomids, a couple of dude/bros in a drift boat rowed up next to me @troutpocket and @Nick Clayton at Pass lake. The lake was super busy for a cold December day and most people were struggling. We had scratched out a healthy few fishing super deep with bunny leeches under the indicator so it was natural that this cohort skunk crew should ask us what we were using, only they didn’t ask us what we were using, instead they asked us what color chironomid we were using.

Me in a friendly tone: “We aren’t using chironomids.”

Dude/Bros in a pissed off tone: “Well you don’t have to be a dick about it!” And they rowed away.

I still chuckle at that one.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Flies waiting to be loaded into fly box tied thru this rain delayed fishing this past week
Better hide that from Steve, some of his super secret seed bead mids are hiding in there.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
The local jon boat crew members are not nice guys on that lake.
Not all of them. I'm an older (although, I'm very immature for my age) local who fishes Munn in an aluminum boat. I'm so local that I often walk to the boat launch for exercise. I generally strike up a conversation with just about everyone in the water or on the launch. Almost everyone is friendly and will generally tell you how they did and what they were using. I really enjoy the conversations. I've also met several PNWFF members there.

Having said that, there are a few older guys who fish that place just about every day who can be a bit crochety and probably wish you weren't there. Just let 'em be and start fishing. When they notice you catching fish (and they will) just tell them you were using a Powerbait imitation and smile like you just farted in front of your kids.

Hope to see you out there.

LakeGuy

Smolt
Guess I’ll play devils advocate,I always thought of fishing as something you have to figure ou.I won’t ask what fly there using or what Lake thier fishing,It’s a challenge to figure things out for myself.Sometimes I find out what works sometimes I don’t.I do listen to the gents at the fly shop and match the hatch,most of the time I have success sometimes I don’t.I guess I really don’t care if people catch fish or not ,try harder watch what’s hatching put some effort into it,I find it more enjoyable when it all comes together and you figured it out.Your not always going to be successful but even if someone has done all the work for you there’s no personal satisfaction in the sport.Just my 02 cents

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Your not always going to be successful but even if someone has done all the work for you there’s no personal satisfaction in the sport.
I absolutely still take pleasure in catching fish even though someone else has already figured it out. Did you maybe mean to use 1st person pronouns versus second person pronouns here?

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Guess I’ll play devils advocate,I always thought of fishing as something you have to figure ou.I won’t ask what fly there using or what Lake thier fishing,It’s a challenge to figure things out for myself.Sometimes I find out what works sometimes I don’t.I do listen to the gents at the fly shop and match the hatch,most of the time I have success sometimes I don’t.I guess I really don’t care if people catch fish or not ,try harder watch what’s hatching put some effort into it,I find it more enjoyable when it all comes together and you figured it out.Your not always going to be successful but even if someone has done all the work for you there’s no personal satisfaction in the sport.Just my 02 cents
I agree. I love figuring things out and doing things myself, too. That's how I roll in most aspects of my life. I also like to ask questions and, where qualified to do so, give advice when asked. I enjoy both the social aspect of fishing and also the solitude and mystery.

We all get to do this for fun, so you might as well enjoy it and get what you want out of it.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
t.I do listen to the gents at the fly shop and match the hatch,most of the time I have success sometimes

Just to further play devils advocate here, why would you be ok following advice from a fly shop and not someone actually on the water catching fish?

I mean if a fly shop tells you to go to a certain lake, explains the hatch that might come off, and sells you the fly that they claim will perfectly match the hatch, how is that any more "figuring it out" than getting the exact same type of advice from someone actually on the water in real time?

Don't mean to be confrontational at all, just curious. I don't fault anyone from fishing exactly how they like and in the manner that brings them the most pleasure. Just seems like a rather arbitrary line. Does pre outing research such as reading reports and learning what has been working for people somewhere encroach on your satisfaction if you then go to same lake, use same pattern/technique, and catch fish?

I have enough pride in me that I definitely prefer to figure things out on my own, and I'm not super likely to seek someone out and ask them what they are using unless it's someone I personally know. Still, I'd rather catch fish than not so if a kind soul comes along and tells me they crushed it fishing size 16 olive chironomids with a brass rib fished 12' under an indicator I'm pretty likely to give that a try.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
On the flip side, I have no pride when it comes to begging for information from others. I don’t have much need to “figure it out for myself”.

Can confirm! You should see Ira start twitching when he sees another boat land a fish out on the sound!

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Still, I'd rather catch fish than not so if a kind soul comes along and tells me they crushed it fishing size 16 olive chironomids with a brass rib fished 12' under an indicator I'm pretty likely to give that a try.
1. They didn’t offer, I cajoled it out of them.
2. We (mostly me) ignored the advice for far to long, trying to “figure” it out for ourselves 😁