X Factor Worms

MT406

Steelhead
Has anyone used X Factor material for tying up worms?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Has anyone used X Factor material for tying up worms?

head-turn-meme-itb2c-store-•-50480937.png

MT406

Steelhead
Maybe not that exact one. However, a guide mentioned he was tying some sort of scented material and was consistently caching more fish compared to other people in his group that were using San Juans.

I can’t say I recall anyone using scented material for fly tying. I never took up spin casting so I’m curious if it would make that big of a difference?

Last edited:

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I've flung a genuine senko for LMB with my fly rod... just to see if it made all that much difference in my catch rate.

It didn't.

You simply can not get the same action with a fly rod as spinning/casting gear for lures designed for spinning/cast fishing.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would even want to consider such things (and I've fished some pretty wacky shit on my fly rod). It truly is a case of "just grab your spinning rod"

RichS

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I can’t see why anyone with a perfectly good fly rod would fish for largemouth bass with any thing that doesn’t float. 🙄90% of the fun of largemouths is the strike. They pull hard but only a few seconds so…and I fish for them obsessively all summer long- on the surface.

I believe that the use of anything scented is Illegal any water where bait is not allowed.

MT406

Steelhead
I've flung a genuine senko for LMB with my fly rod... just to see if it made all that much difference in my catch rate.

It didn't.

You simply can not get the same action with a fly rod as spinning/casting gear for lures designed for spinning/cast fishing.
Thank you. Exact answer I was looking for.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Thank you. Exact answer I was looking for.
Wait, the colors you showed I would use for steelhead. People use steelhead worms for Bass? That would be awesome, I could use my OP Nightmare in my favorite bass ditch, eh?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I think the OP probably just forgot that there's a gear sub here.

This bait has nothing to do with fly tying.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you plan on fishing Special Regulations bodies of water scent falls under the definition of bait.
This is the definition in WA.
"Bait" means any substance which attracts fish by scent or flavors. Bait includes any lure which uses scent or flavoring to attract fish.

In looking at the OP's avatar, he may be in MT.
Surprisingly, this is the definition there.
ARTIFICIAL LURE: Any man-made lure (including flies) that imitates natural bait. Artificial lures may have a scent infused or applied. Artificial lures do not include fish eggs, any natural or artificial food such as corn and marshmallows, any products that are derivatives of natural foods, any chemically treated or processed natural bait such as salted minnows, nor any artificial dough, paste or edible baits.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think the OP probably just forgot that there's a gear sub here.

This bait has nothing to do with fly tying.
I don't know if that is the case or not. OP would have to clarify.

It's a weird idea, but it's not as if there are no gummy/senko type tying materials out there these days. Any maybe he genuinely was asking what it would be like to throw a senko type "fly" on a fly rod, thinking that tying a few up might be worth it. I mean, is a fly hook in a senko technically a fly (assuming you throw it on a fly rod)? Is it enough of a fly for us to talk about it here? Is it really all that different than wrapping a fly up with this stuff:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.59.08 AM.png
If you plan on fishing Special Regulations bodies of water scent falls under the definition of bait.
This is the definition in WA.
"Bait" means any substance which attracts fish by scent or flavors. Bait includes any lure which uses scent or flavoring to attract fish.
Ahhh, well that would put this particular material our of bounds for "fly" fishing in a technically legal sense.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Can't use them in Fly fishing only waters in Washington also. Scented is just like using bait.

Here in Montana I haven't seen any fly fishing only waters. People just fly fish because it's relaxing. And fun fooling the fish.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
View attachment 17591

Ahhh, well that would put this particular material our of bounds for "fly" fishing in a technically legal sense.
I've not had much success with that stuff. This thread could easily morph into what worm patterns to use for fly fishing.

One year when I was fishing dry falls I talked with a fellow fly fisher and he was wrapping a hook with red holigraphic tinsel material. I have done that on size 12 nymph hook with a white bead. I coat it with UV clear coat for durability. Makes a nice blood worm pattern.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
This reminds of a period of time that you could buy a very small Rooster Tail to use with a fly rod ... I'm not kidding... for all I know you still can.

I had one and you could cast it (kind'a) but it was extremely difficult to get the blade to move... even in a current. And of course the appeal of a Rooster Tail is the spinning blade so if you can't get the blade to spin, you've pretty much have a heavily weighted fly with a treble hook and that's about all.