WTF, WDFW?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was reading the thing with an open mind until I got to this passage and the one specific word that took me right out of the conversation.

"The conference’s agenda is packed with wonky topics such as “Spatial Ecology and Modeling,” “Conservation of Native Pollinators in Managed Forest Ecosystems,” and “Biometrics and Population Monitoring.”"

Can anyone guess what the word is and why using it might impede any sort of objective dialogue?

Shad

Life of the Party
They're after recreational fishing rights, too.

Important to understand that the Commission members are appointed by the Governor; they are not WDFW employees. As for how they get appointed, well, I can only suggest you follow the money.

The Legislature owns the role of "confirming" members, but many members serve unconfirmed for years. Of note is that neither of the commissioners most amenable to sport fishing and hunting in recent memory was confirmed. Their terms expired, and they were replaced with a commercial hack and a preservationist. Hence the current state....

Not sure what can be done immediately to change the trajectory, but it's probably good that awareness is increasing.

Tallguy

Steelhead
It's not just hunting. Public land use is what's under attack.
I think the concepts of public lands themselves are under attack. I also hate all these trends of privatization of public lands and selling off public resources and public access to the highest bidder. Putting up no trespassing signs and converting everything to pay to play is a horrible trend for the outdoors and generating new generations who appreciate and use our public trust resources. I won't knowing stay at any privatized campgrounds on BLM or FS land, don't support related concessionaires, and generally opt out of all privatized endpoints on public lands.

Sadly, most people pay no attention to public lands privatization and give aways at all.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I was reading the thing with an open mind until I got to this passage and the one specific word that took me right out of the conversation.

"The conference’s agenda is packed with wonky topics such as “Spatial Ecology and Modeling,” “Conservation of Native Pollinators in Managed Forest Ecosystems,” and “Biometrics and Population Monitoring.”"

Can anyone guess what the word is and why using it might impede any sort of objective dialogue?
No, do tell.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
They're after recreational fishing rights, too.

Important to understand that the Commission members are appointed by the Governor; they are not WDFW employees. As for how they get appointed, well, I can only suggest you follow the money.

The Legislature owns the role of "confirming" members, but many members serve unconfirmed for years. Of note is that neither of the commissioners most amenable to sport fishing and hunting in recent memory was confirmed. Their terms expired, and they were replaced with a commercial hack and a preservationist. Hence the current state....

Not sure what can be done immediately to change the trajectory, but it's probably good that awareness is increasing.
I was pretty irritated reading this article so for shits and giggles I looked up what it would take to get on the commission for odfw. Found out the same thing, appointed by the governor.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter

Wonky, and it is wonky the commission is discussing these topics. I think they are getting confused between "wildlife" and "game." Fish and game should be managed for what they are, a consumable and recreational resource. Make another commission for "wildlife." Maybe they can have annual cage fights.

Edit: I love pollinators, I have Mason bee houses, I don't want some bee hippy making decisions about rifle elk season.

Last edited:

smc

Guppy Chow

I’m thinking you did not like “wonky”. It can be a negative word. Or not. I think you might be a bit wonky about certain things, and I say that admiringly.

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m thinking you did not like “wonky”. It can be a negative word. Or not. I think you might be a bit wonky about certain things, and I say that admiringly.
In the context of the article I read the term "wonky" as an attempted jab at the scientific community which, to me, was more of an indicator of the authors obtuseness about the topics - which would be right at home in any scientific conference I've attended in the last 20+ years - than anything else. In any event, if they had just stayed objective I would have kept reading.

To check myself I looked up the definition of "wonky" and didn't find anything that I found positive or even neutral. Yes, I'm a nerd. I've certainly always understood it to carry a negative connotation. Can you provide an example of "or not"?

@FontinalisFin - how do YOU differentiate between wildlife and game? What species fall under what categories, and why? Can some species be both, and if so, when do they stop being one and become the other?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
In the context of the article I read the term "wonky" as an attempted jab at the scientific community which, to me, was more of an indicator of the authors obtuseness about the topics - which would be right at home in any scientific conference I've attended in the last 20+ years - than anything else. In any event, if they had just stayed objective I would have kept reading.

To check myself I looked up the definition of "wonky" and didn't find anything that I found positive or even neutral. Yes, I'm a nerd. I've certainly always understood it to carry a negative connotation. Can you provide an example of "or not"?

@FontinalisFin - how do YOU differentiate between wildlife and game? What species fall under what categories, and why? Can some species be both, and if so, when do they stop being one and become the other?
They can definitely be both. But the way the commission seems to be oriented they would want to manage for wildlife over game to the extreme that fishing/hunting would be outlawed.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I’m surprised nobody has gone TFH on “biometrics and population monitoring “

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Ending all consumption outdoor activity in opposition to the will of the people is the goal. No, a govonor appointed wildlife commission does not represent the will of the voters.

The purpose of hunting is not to manage wildlife. It's purpose is to feed families and as a wholesome recreation preserves society.