Woolly Bugger Chenille?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Picked up some Peacock Herl today!
It seems you got a handle on it. Just to add again, you will want to be sure to wrap the herl and hackle feather with wire, or they will come apart quickly. This thin mint has subbed the peacock for simi seal. Sometimes a long tail. Some days/times in the season a long tail gets picked at and short is the ticket to hookups. Sometimes a bit of flash, a cone or glass bead, lots you can do to a bugger.
20220917_thinmint.jpg
I came across a monster today too.

Attachments

• 20220917_082857.jpg
    20220917_082857.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 6

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It seems you got a handle on it. Just to add again, you will want to be sure to wrap the herl and hackle feather with wire, or they will come apart quickly. This thin mint has subbed the peacock for simi seal. Sometimes a long tail. Some days/times in the season a long tail gets picked at and short is the ticket to hookups. Sometimes a bit of flash, a cone or glass bead, lots you can do to a bugger.
View attachment 32674
I came across a monster today too.

That a good looking fly!

Yeah, the big ones are biting today! 🤣

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Caught a little SRC a little earlier today. Tried to get a shot but it flipped out of the next while fumbling for my phone. All of 6-8”! Monsta!

Caught on this bugger I tied with some marabou and Semi Seal. Definitely need to add some more to the tail. Tail was still wet in the photos from cleaning it. But hey, it caught something! Fishing in heavy seaweed and it held up pretty well.

Please don’t make too much fin of the fly! 🤣

Nice, but don't forget to squeeze that barb down!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Forget the chenille and dub your bugger bodies. Much more durable and the color opportunities are limitless.

This. No offense to anyone that uses chenille but I regard it as cheap and bush league. Flies look and fish so much better with dubbing. Plus it's easier to store and you can blend loops etc in infinite ways.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
This. No offense to anyone that uses chenille but I regard it as cheap and bush league. Flies look and fish so much better with dubbing. Plus it's easier to store and you can blend loops etc in infinite ways.
It removes frustration for newbies and kids, panfish don't care it seems, and the coffee/black makes the best stonefly for me. There's a time and place for it I think.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Always so but completely forgot on this one. Tied it and then fished it.
Luckily, no regs broken.
Yea, I just tied 3 and noted I missed one. Sometimes...........

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For alternatives to using chenille and hackle for bodies, consider polar chenille or palmer chenille.
I think good old chenille rather then dubbing is easier to use for folks, especially those new to tying.
SF

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Getting a little better.

Size 6, tungsten bead with a bit of lead wrap behind on the shaft. Marabou tails, couple strands of flash, black ice dub body with black hackle. Went a little heavy on the thread around the head on one. Otherwise, I think these will fish.
And pinched barbs. 😉

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Getting a little better.

Size 6, tungsten bead with a bit of lead wrap behind on the shaft. Marabou tails, couple strands of flash, black ice dub body with black hackle. Went a little heavy on the thread around the head on one. Otherwise, I think these will fish.
And pinched barbs. 😉

Good job and remember they don’t need to be perfect. The fish don’t care. Those will fish just fine.
SF