Winter projects?

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The green paper is just painter's paper. It comes in a long roll and is pretty thin. I'll lay and tape about five or six layers down when I glue up and peel off a layer at a time when it gets too sticky with the glue giving me a fresh surface. You can buy this in the paint department of any hardware store.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The green paper is just painter's paper. It comes in a long roll and is pretty thin. I'll lay and tape about five or six layers down when I glue up and peel off a layer at a time when it gets too sticky with the glue giving me a fresh surface. You can buy this in the paint department of any hardware store.
Great idea!

Kado

Steelhead
Well....my esthetics will never be mistaken for the other rod builders on this forum, but I was really happy with how the blank turned out. Not one glue line and the nodes were flat as an ice rink (often I could feel a slight 'rise' at the nodes). It casts a 3 wt intermediate well and both a 3wt and 4wt DT well, although in my hands the 4wt line might have been a little better. Fits in a regular reclaimed Echo fly rod tube with the sections being only a little over 28 inches long so I'm hoping should pack well for hiking and camping. Can't wait to feel a grab with it. Hope the mini ferrules hold up : ).
Great weather today, might try it on stream this afternoon if I can get away.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2947.jpg
    IMG_2947.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 10

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That looks real nice to my eyes Mark! It's always fun to get to know the new rod's personality for the first time.

Mike

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Regarding wood and winter projects. Redoing our red oak floors top floor. 1440sq feet of them. What a colossal project. Making us go through a lot of stuff that has been accumulated…. Donation and garbage piles are growing. 😜

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You did a nice job on your 5 wght Mike really like how it cast. And thanks for your help with the video today.
Thanks to you Dennis for calling me up this morning.

I was polishing out the last bit of dust from the new rod and planning on doing some casting for the first time on Monday. Then the phone rang, and Dennis asked if I was busy, then he mentioned he was casting his 2 new Spey rods he built at Cascade View Park (home of the Bamboo Fling). So that convinced me that my new rod will get tested today. A short time later we were sharing conversations and lamenting about waiting for the 2023 Bamboo Fling. I was pleased with the casting action of my new taper I came up with. It can deliver a nice delicate short cast and reach 70' pretty easy if it is necessary. I'll be looking forward to the real test on a lake from a float tube. During our time at the park, I got some video of Dennis sending out a LOT of fly line. Apparently, it won't load here but if you have the Instagram app on your phone check out dennisworley12

Can't wait for the warmer weather to arrive.

Kado

Steelhead
Dennis, how did you decide to join the sections? Ferrules or splice? As always, nice casting. Hope you get to use your rods soon.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Nice casts on the video @Denwor54 , that’s a fair bit of line. Enjoy seeing the flex. (You can view the video w/o an account hope you don’t mind me linking it here for others.)

Thanks for posting I tried with my phone and it didn’t work or I’m not tech savvy to complete the task.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Dennis what line are you throwing with that rod?
I tried three different lines a wintertide in a 520 which was nice but a little light. Tried a 600 grain Skagit line which was good but a little heavy. I ended up with a Skagit compact 550with a 15 ft tip and it was really nice. I was able to throw any distance that I wanted and the line tracked well. I will make a couple mid and tip sections and see how that works. I made two rods one 5 sided and on 6 sided and I was happy with both. Time to see what the fish 😀

Last edited:

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Dennis, how did you decide to join the sections? Ferrules or splice? As always, nice casting. Hope you get to use your rods soon.
I was able to make the bamboo ferrules fit but I miscalculated the butt to mid join. I decided to just splice them and that worked not perfect but they will fish. I learned a lot and I feel very confident I’m going to be able to turn out some sweet sticks. More to come in the future.