Winter projects?

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I went with bamboo ferrules and I haven’t put a line on it yet but that will be soon. The agates i was able to find 16mm can’t remember the dealer as I went find of crazy on purchasing ones that I like. The rod feels like an 8-9 weight and doesn’t feel heavy I just need to balance correctly with a reel.

Kado

Steelhead
I might be bugging you later as to how you make bamboo ferrules. Intimidates me thinking about it. I've heard that because they flex with the sections, they work well...similar to fiberglass ferrules....for spey rods.
Impressive. Can't wait to see a pic with nice steelhead in the water next to it.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well, I didn't set any production speed records LOL, but I did get the latest rod glued up last night. I used Resorcinol for the first time and things look to have set up well. I'll start sanding the glue off the shafts and see if the purple highlights of the glue show up. It may not be as prominent as a blond rod (this one is pretty heavily flamed) but I'll see what happens as things move along in the process.

Mike

Resorcinol glue up.jpg

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Now that the excess glue has been sanded off, I've put down 5 coats of Tru-oil on the shafts in the last couple of days. I'm really happy with the color of these shafts, nice and evenly flamed. I'll let the finish dry for a longer period now then wet sand to level out the finish and add more coats. In the meantime, I'll need to make the ferrule and reel seat hardware next.

Feb2 rod progress.jpg

Cliff

Steelhead
Now that the excess glue has been sanded off, I've put down 5 coats of Tru-oil on the shafts in the last couple of days. I'm really happy with the color of these shafts, nice and evenly flamed. I'll let the finish dry for a longer period now then wet sand to level out the finish and add more coats. In the meantime, I'll need to make the ferrule and reel seat hardware next.

View attachment 52460
Nice, Mike. I cast a bamboo ferrule rod several years ago that my friend made (you know him) and it flexed differently than a metal ferrule rod. I liked it. I can't recall the name of the guy who popularized them, a rodmaker from south America. I'd love to see your completed rod.

Cliff

Steelhead
It's an untested taper of mine, 8'4" 5wt two piece. It will be interesting if it works as I hope. I'll bring it to the fling unless it's a total flop LOL.
Mike
That would be fun, thank you. I haven't been to a bamboo casting affair over there since one of the first ones, maybe 15 years ago. Looking forward to it.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks great Mike. Did you use the leather dye on it?
Yes, I did, Sshh! :ROFLMAO: It really helped to even out the flaming effect and calm down the bright spots at the nodes after working them flat. It also darkened the shafts a bit more than the flaming did without roasting them to a crisp. I really like how it works on the shafts and I think this will be a regular process in my rods from now on.

Mike

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ray Gould is who commented about it in one of his books. According to him he skipped flaming and used the leather dye to get the dark shafts when he wanted that look. I haven't tested this idea on a non-flamed rod shaft yet. I flamed the cum and after glue-up and sanding I wiped about three coats of the leather dye. After that dries I wipe a light coat of Tru-oil to set and cover the dye. After that coat you can add more Tru-oil without concerns about disturbing the dye. Angelus Lt Brown leather dye is the stuff I used.
Mike

Kado

Steelhead
So cool! I've got a reject section of blank I'll try some different dyes on. I've flamed a couple rods, and while I really like the look, I'm a little concerned they're more brittle with my 'flaming inconsistency' : ).

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice, Mike. I cast a bamboo ferrule rod several years ago that my friend made (you know him) and it flexed differently than a metal ferrule rod. I liked it. I can't recall the name of the guy who popularized them, a rodmaker from south America. I'd love to see your completed rod.
The name of the guy you're thinking of is Marcelo Calviello. He retired from rod making around 2010. Not sure of his current status. He lived in Brazil not far from Buenos Aries. He used local bamboo that grew in Brazil. Apparently at some point in the past this bamboo was imported from China. After generations of adaptation to the environment it flourished and became it's own sub species.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So cool! I've got a reject section of blank I'll try some different dyes on. I've flamed a couple rods, and while I really like the look, I'm a little concerned they're more brittle with my 'flaming inconsistency' : ).
The only drawback of dyed bamboo is that it looks like dyed bamboo. YMMV.

Cliff

Steelhead
The name of the guy you're thinking of is Marcelo Calviello. He retired from rod making around 2010. Not sure of his current status. He lived in Brazil not far from Buenos Aries. He used local bamboo that grew in Brazil. Apparently at some point in the past this bamboo was imported from China. After generations of adaptation to the environment it flourished and became it's own sub species.
Yey, that's him. I recall his posts and I didn't think it was that long since I saw him active, shows you how the aging process works. I believe R. Kope was in communication with him a bit before he built his first bamboo ferrule rod. Thanks.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The only drawback of dyed bamboo is that it looks like dyed bamboo. YMMV.
I decided to do a quick test on a blond section of a cut off. Yup I'm not too impressed. I'm going to say the light brown is a nice topping for a flamed rod but for use on a blond rod you will need to experiment with different colors to see if it will work for you.