Winds knots! I will concur them......hopefully?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I'm really new to fly fishing and my main goal right now is to get my casting locked down or at least to a point where I can go out and spending more time with the fly in the water relatively close to where I want it.

I have become pretty good in the 20 to 30ft range which for most if the river I'll be fishing will be a great start. I'm working on longer casts but want to get my short game down first.

The things that is plaguing me right now is winds knots. I can't seem to concur these. I have read about them, watch videos and asked some friends. I understand what I'm doing wrong (loop going under vs over, staring my forward motion to soon, etc) but I can't seem to make the needed correction. I've gotten much better and maybe it just takes more experience.

But, wondering if anyone have any specific tips or maybe that "one thing" that made it click for them? Do you hold your mouth at a certain open position. cock your head 20 degree to the left while standing on their right leg? Or maybe some real tricks that worked for you?

Thanks,

Jim

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah maybe just fish a skwala dry to start. It's a secret hatch only hardcore people know about. You know about it now so now you are hardcore. https://theeveninghatch.com/the-invisible-imaginary-skwala

if you are confused by my comment please see

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yeah maybe just fish a skwala dry to start. It's a secret hatch only hardcore people know about. You know about it now so now you are hardcore. https://theeveninghatch.com/the-invisible-imaginary-skwala

if you are confused by my comment please see

Ha, I read that before. Entertaining read. Hardcore forever!

dirty dog

Steelhead
This is a little hard to explain. I could show ya easier.
Watch yer back cast is the best advice. Not always possible while fishing, cause I want to keep my eye on the spot where I want my fly to land.
Tick, tock, forward and back keeping the rod in line, if you wave yer arm just a little you will tie yer tippet in a knot.
Do ya understand?
Also, always stop before you start the forward or back cast, don't wave, start/stop, start/stop. Or push forward, stop, pull back, stop. push, stop, pull, stop.
After a long day of casting I always know when it is time to go home cause I will wave my arm instead of keeping it in line and there ya go "wind knot".
One other thing that is hard to get over is trying to throw yer fly, like spin or bait casting, just let the rod do the work.
Practice, practice, practice.
"Let the force be with you"

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Watch this video, it will help.

I posted this video last year when I was having issues, and the tips helped me fix them. The overpowering, so the rod is high, then too much power and the tip comes down, and pushing my hand forward, gets me. I still really have to focus on letting the rod do the work, and keep my left high hand and then get line speed with a haul, not by overpowering with too much arm or wrist.
Stillwater casting really lets my faults shine. If I loose focus, trying too hard, or start waving my arm like a fairy princes, the whole cast can go to hell. I really would benefit from some lessons I'm sure. I'm now getting 70' regularly when conditions aren't against me though.

Bagman

Steelhead
Good point about the leader and Tippet matching the fly. Like I said, I'm really new and this Sunday will be my first true fly fishing day. I've gone out to a river to practice but everything else has been practicing in the park down my street.

Right now, I'm using a Rio Powerflex Trout 9ft 3X tapered leader with a piece of yarn for a fly. This was recommended by the guide who we took a lesson from a few weeks ago. I doubt this is hampering anything but if so, open to suggestions.

Jim
Try a pipe cleaner, cut to about the size and weight of the flys you will mainly be fishing.

Bagman

Steelhead
Watch yer back cast is the best advice. Not always possible while fishing, cause I want to keep my eye on the spot where I want my fly to land.
Tick, tock, forward and back keeping the rod in line, if you wave yer arm just a little you will tie yer tippet in a knot.
Do ya understand?
Also, always stop before you start the forward or back cast, don't wave, start/stop, start/stop. Or push forward, stop, pull back, stop. push, stop, pull, stop.
After a long day of casting I always know when it is time to go home cause I will wave my arm instead of keeping it in line and there ya go "wind knot".
One other thing that is hard to get over is trying to throw yer fly, like spin or bait casting, just let the rod do the work.
That’s what my wife was always telling me “Let the Force be with you.“ every sport that I can remember playing required follow threw. Forgetting that is not easy.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Do ya understand?

Thank you Sir! That does make a lot of sense. I'm definitely getting better. I got our fishing yesterday and only 1 wind know the entire 5 hours. So, progress.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I posted this video last year when I was having issues, and the tips helped me fix them. The overpowering, so the rod is high, then too much power and the tip comes down, and pushing my hand forward, gets me. I still really have to focus on letting the rod do the work, and keep my left high hand and then get line speed with a haul, not by overpowering with too much arm or wrist.
Stillwater casting really lets my faults shine. If I loose focus, trying too hard, or start waving my arm like a fairy princes, the whole cast can go to hell. I really would benefit from some lessons I'm sure. I'm now getting 70' regularly when conditions aren't against me though.

Thanks man! 70 foot? That gives me some hope.

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone for all the tips and guidance. It's much appreciated.

I was able to float the Yakima yesterday with a buddy and a great guide. Crazy windy so casting for a newbie like me was a struggle at times but for the most part, I was able hit targets and get good rifts. Having someone there that could give me real time advise was very helpful.

Conditions were not great with all the wind but the sun was out and we did manage to land some really nice Rainbows and one of the biggest Cutthroat I've seen in a while.

Here are a couple.

Attachments

• Yak 1.jpg
    Yak 1.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Yak 2.jpg
    Yak 2.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 9

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thanks man! 70 foot? That gives me some hope.
It was 4/9/21 I made a post just like this on the old site. I got lots of good feedback and I practiced. Fished a spot on the lake the other day where I had backcast room and light wind and got within a couple pulls of the end of the line. Not every outing is like that and I'm not consistent yet, but if I can do it so can you. Keep at it. It looks like you did well.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/top-5-fly-casting-mistakes-correct
The video posted was only one part of this piece with lots of helpful tips.
Remembering these things helps fix it right away when it's not working. When I get tired I notice I'll lift off to the right instead of up (out of plane). If I'm not getting distance inevitably my haul hand is near my waist. Things like that.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone for all the tips and guidance. It's much appreciated.

I was able to float the Yakima yesterday with a buddy and a great guide. Crazy windy so casting for a newbie like me was a struggle at times but for the most part, I was able hit targets and get good rifts. Having someone there that could give me real time advise was very helpful.

Conditions were not great with all the wind but the sun was out and we did manage to land some really nice Rainbows and one of the biggest Cutthroat I've seen in a while.

Here are a couple.
So were you bobber nymphing with weighted flies or what?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter