Winds knots! I will concur them......hopefully?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I'm really new to fly fishing and my main goal right now is to get my casting locked down or at least to a point where I can go out and spending more time with the fly in the water relatively close to where I want it.

I have become pretty good in the 20 to 30ft range which for most if the river I'll be fishing will be a great start. I'm working on longer casts but want to get my short game down first.

The things that is plaguing me right now is winds knots. I can't seem to concur these. I have read about them, watch videos and asked some friends. I understand what I'm doing wrong (loop going under vs over, staring my forward motion to soon, etc) but I can't seem to make the needed correction. I've gotten much better and maybe it just takes more experience.

But, wondering if anyone have any specific tips or maybe that "one thing" that made it click for them? Do you hold your mouth at a certain open position. cock your head 20 degree to the left while standing on their right leg? Or maybe some real tricks that worked for you?

Thanks,

Jim

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
One weird trick that helped me is to glance over your shoulder and see your back cast unroll, then look and cast forward. I think it works by forcing a small pause in between the back and forward casts, which lets your back cast straighten out behind you.

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I get wind knots from tailing loops, and I can throw one hell of a tailing loop via a variety of casting failures. Generally from using too much tip, too much powereor waiting too long for my backcast to unfurl.

While I dont have good advice for avoiding the tailing loop, when i throw one I pull everything in and check for the knot. It's usually there and easier to get out if you dont tighten it up with another cast.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One weird trick that helped me is to glance over your shoulder and see your back cast unroll, then look and cast forward. I think it works by forcing a small pause in between the back and forward casts, which lets you back cast straighten out behind you.
Thanks Zak. I'll try this and see if that helps. That delay/pause between looking back and then forward makes sense since I do tend to rush the forward cast.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I get wind knots from tailing loops, and I can throw one hell of a tailing loop via a variety of casting failures. Generally from using too much tip, too much powereor waiting too long for my backcast to unfurl.

While I dont have good advice for avoiding the tailing loop, when i throw one I pull everything in and check for the knot. It's usually there and easier to get out if you dont tighten it up with another cast.
Thank you Sir. I think between rushing my forward cast and maybe trying to put to much power into it is really hurting.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thank you Sir. I think between rushing my forward cast and maybe trying to put to much power into it is really hurting.
That‘ll do it for sure, I concur. Use some of these tips, slow down and let the rod and line work together, and you’ll cure those wind knots in no time. ;) You can definitely conquer this annoying fishing problem. Another thing to look for is to make sure your tippet is sufficiently large to turn over your fly. Shorter, thicker leaders will generally wind knot less than long, fine ones.

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That‘ll do it for sure, I concur. Use some of these tips, slow down and let the rod and line work together, and you’ll cure those wind knots in no time. ;) You can definitely conquer this annoying fishing problem.

Thanks, Almost 50 years of spin and bait casting habits are hard to break. LOL.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks, Almost 50 years of spin and bait casting habits are hard to break. LOL.
Indeed. But your experience will help in the long run. I edited my reply and added a note on matching leader/tippet to fly; don’t want you to miss that.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Indeed. But your experience will help in the long run. I edited my reply and added a note on matching leader/tippet to fly; don’t want you to miss that.
Good point about the leader and Tippet matching the fly. Like I said, I'm really new and this Sunday will be my first true fly fishing day. I've gone out to a river to practice but everything else has been practicing in the park down my street.

Right now, I'm using a Rio Powerflex Trout 9ft 3X tapered leader with a piece of yarn for a fly. This was recommended by the guide who we took a lesson from a few weeks ago. I doubt this is hampering anything but if so, open to suggestions.

Jim

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Also, don't feel bad. Every time I think I've gotten past wind knots, I'll end up doing something stupid and getting a birdsnest in my line.

Happens to the best of us.

Yeah, I take it all in stride. I can cast a spinning rod and reel all day in any conditions with almost prefect accuracy but every now and then I look down at the reel and see an explosion of tangled line and wonder WTF? :ROFLMAO:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Good point about the leader and Tippet matching the fly. Like I said, I'm really new and this Sunday will be my first true fly fishing day. I've gone out to a river to practice but everything else has been practicing in the park down my street.

Right now, I'm using a Rio Powerflex Trout 9ft 3X tapered leader with a piece of yarn for a fly. This was recommended by the guide who we took a lesson from a few weeks ago. I doubt this is hampering anything but if so, open to suggestions.

Jim
Depending on how big your hunk of yarn is, they are awfully wind resistant and light and don't cast exactly the same as fishing flies. On the other hand, your leader and tippet are fairly stout and should probably be able to turn that over. It's probably a little of that, and a lot of technique but it's hard to say exactly. What kind of fishing were you planning for this weekend? Stream trout? If so, I'd probably be nymphing if I really wanted to catch something since it is still winter time. If you just want to practice casting on stream you could fish a dry fly. I don't know where you are but maybe try a skwala pattern. Ya never know. 3X would work great with a skwala.
You'll see that the feel of casting dry flies vs. nymphs vs. streamers is pretty different, especially when new, and you have to make little adjustments in casting for all of them. Adjustments which I can do but not necessarily describe. There are people and videos out there that are much much better at that than I.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Depending on how big your hunk of yarn is, they are awfully wind resistant and light and don't cast exactly the same as fishing flies. On the other hand, your leader and tippet are fairly stout and should probably be able to turn that over. It's probably a little of that, and a lot of technique but it's hard to say exactly. What kind of fishing were you planning for this weekend? Stream trout? If so, I'd probably be nymphing if I really wanted to catch something since it is still winter time. If you just want to practice casting on stream you could fish a dry fly. I don't know where you are but maybe try a skwala pattern. Ya never know. 3X would work great with a skwala.
You'll see that the feel of casting dry flies vs. nymphs vs. streamers is pretty different, especially when new, and you have to make little adjustments in casting for all of them. Adjustments which I can do but not necessarily describe. There are people and videos out there that are much much better at that than I.

I'll be floating the Yakima this Sunday with a guide and a buddy. My buddy has been wanting to go and I figured trial by fire might be a good option for me. And, my intent is to soak in as much advice and guidance as possible with actually catching something being secondary.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I'll be floating the Yakima this Sunday with a guide and a buddy. My buddy has been wanting to go and I figured trial by fire might be a good option for me. And, my intent is to soak in as much advice and guidance as possible with actually catching something being secondary.
Be prepared for your indicator to introduce another level of frustration with casting. You'll get the hang of it, but it's a thing.

Have fun!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Be prepared for your indicator to introduce another level of frustration with casting. You'll get the hang of it, but it's a thing.

Have fun!

Ha, yeah that's something else I'll need to deal with. I've got a couple small indicators so maybe I'll go throw them at some lawn fish later today or tomorrow before the float. You know, master it real quick! :ROFLMAO: