whoa...

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Unless you and your family are wearing nothing but wool, cotton, or hemp fabrics you're pumping out plastic microfibers into the environment with every wash load. Probably considerably less aquatic impact if on a septic system (unless your drain field is polluting an aquifer or nearby waterbody), but if your community is served by a wastewater treatment plant the microfibers zip right on through to the receiving waters (which eventually end up in the world's oceans). And don't even get me started on PFAS (a ubiquitous 'forever chemical' toxic carcinogen that bioaccumulates in human tissue and often found in drinking water) and pharmaceuticals that are excreted by humans in mass quantities.

Enjoy your fishsticks and other Bluewater bounty!

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
By the way, "too many people" seems to come up on a lot of topics, but world population growth is on a decline, even before covid. Yes, even China and India. If population growth continues the trend it's had the last several decades, world population will actually start to decrease.

There are already people writing articles about why this is bad and we should panic.

Emily27

Steelhead
Many plastics when they breakdown especially are phytoestrogens. How do we know if this is effecting people? A quick look at a few stats says men are more impotent, down 60% in testosterone, and young people are hardly having sex. I surmise this is why many young people don't care to get a driver's licence right away. In my day you had to get a car and job so you could get girls to date you. We were very motivated for this back then. So in light of this I think the "too many people" problem is solving itself. A look around says plastics are indeed the future and the solution to said problem. Other side effects are weak handshake, lack of fortitude, and a general apathy and sheep like attitude of helplessness coupled with a docile vanilla affect. Ask your doctor if plastics are right for you.
I'd like to throw in that even though phytoestrogen has the word estrogen in it, it does not actually have the effect of estrogen on the body, the chemical compounds are just structured similarly. This is a pretty common piece of misinformation started by some YouTubers who are afraid of tofu.

krusty

Forum Supporter
By the way, "too many people" seems to come up on a lot of topics, but world population growth is on a decline, even before covid. Yes, even China and India. If population growth continues the trend it's had the last several decades, world population will actually start to decrease.

There are already people writing articles about why this is bad and we should panic.
It's bad to those whose economic worldview is predicated by endless consumptive growth driven by population growth.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'd like to throw in that even though phytoestrogen has the word estrogen in it, it does not actually have the effect of estrogen on the body, the chemical compounds are just structured similarly. This is a pretty common piece of misinformation started by some YouTubers who are afraid of tofu.
I do not fear the tofu...though find its taste highly objectionable. 😄

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I personally have a distaste for the "too many people" argument, valid as it may prove to be. My distaste comes from following up that statement with "what do you propose we do about all the people?" If a solution is proposed, it is almost always a tyrannical limitation on creation of life, which will most certainly be repeatedly broached, broken and challenged as humans do what humans have always done.

Population limits have been overcome countless times. Engines and horsepower created the conditions to get us to 8 billy, and human innovation got us there. Some of those overabundant humans had an idea and changed the carrying capacity of the earth for other humans. That can and will happen again.

Count me in for team more humans, more ideas, more innovation and more solutions.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll eat a credit card a week to live for 30 more years :p
Man, I hope your procedure goes off without a hitch....that's all. While I'm in agreement with the overall premise of this thread, I'm thankful for advances in materials , technologies, and medical care that helps you and people in similar situations.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Man, I hope your procedure goes off without a hitch....that's all. While I'm in agreement with the overall premise of this thread, I'm thankful for advances in materials , technologies, and medical care that helps you and people in similar situations.
Right, like @Pink Nighty said I'm sure there's a way we can innovate to solve these problems and not have to go back to the stone age. I'll be good, it's just difficult to turn the Ole brain off of constantly thinking about it.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
To much doom and gloom on/in this thread. I'll keep my eyes open and not go through this shit again. (n) (n)

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Don't blame us. We're only men. We're simple creatures. If it's for estrogen in it we are fearful. I'm still steering clear of it. I know it's a government plot to chemically neuter me with plastics and plant based diets. No way I'm doing that.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I personally have a distaste for the "too many people" argument, valid as it may prove to be. My distaste comes from following up that statement with "what do you propose we do about all the people?" If a solution is proposed, it is almost always a tyrannical limitation on creation of life, which will most certainly be repeatedly broached, broken and challenged as humans do what humans have always done.

Population limits have been overcome countless times. Engines and horsepower created the conditions to get us to 8 billy, and human innovation got us there. Some of those overabundant humans had an idea and changed the carrying capacity of the earth for other humans. That can and will happen again.

Count me in for team more humans, more ideas, more innovation and more solutions.

I can think of some places I'd like to crop dust sterile.