Who can tie an ant that floats on it’s side?

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Last edited:

Phil Fravel

Steelhead
That's awesome! I like that fly. I like flies that can fished in different ways. Without a tail I bet it would look a lot like that ant above. I'd love to see one of yours in the What's in your vise thread!
Ya know. I should. Great Idea. I will when back in town. I had a few of his years ago. But they are long gone

Flymph

Steelhead
Why not tie the fly according to your favorite recipe in an upright position and just twist the fly on its side? I once fished a gray drake hatch on the Henry's fork to a bunch of picky browns and bows. As drakes floated by I noticed they looked like they were whacked by a tennis racquet. Didn't change flying scheme at all. Just twisted fly on hook and squeezed down on wings trying to duplicate the beat-down adults. Managed to fool the PHDs of trout which I rarely have ever done.

RichS

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
here are two patterns which have worked OK for me in the couple times I have used them. Both have the sort of disheveled look of fallen ants on a lake.

DSCN2603.JPG
DSCN2604.JPG
Hook: Daiichi 1280 #10-14 or similar 2X long hook. The shank is bent about 30 degrees horizontally mid shank
Segments: Foam over peacock or just over thread
legs: Baby bug legs from Fly Tiers Duneon or similar
Wings: Zelon or similar. One leg tied vertical and one off to the side ( more or less). This gives a sort of ant on its side look. The hook will still float hook point down so that the orientation is generally maintained.

DSCN2601.JPG

DSCN2602.JPG

This one floats with the back end submerged.
Hook: Daiichi 1120 or similar #10-16
Back segments: clear UV over foam over black thread
Front Segment: foam over thread
Wings: White CDC or Zelon
Add legs between segments if you want

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Care to share your recipe? (Please)
Hook (I think) is a 200R
Dubbing is Super Fine
Thread is Tobacco Brown
Wings and Hackle are Cree

I start thread at abdomen end point, base of thread wrapped towards bend…abdomen end point

Bring thread back about 2/3 forward, start dubbing a small tight round ball, from there dub tightly forward and rearward to develop your abdomen; when desired shape is achieved, start at front of abdomen and dub rearward tightly for final size; dubbed thread should have ended; now twist thread tight and rib abdomen tightly, to segment.

Wrap flattened thread on bare hook forward, back, and forward again for desired space…wrap enough for the desired hackle thickness…leave enough room for the dubbed head.

Tie in hackle tips, flat and chevroned for wings.

Tie hackle stem(s) in at the back of the hackle area, stem forward, dry fly style.

Dub into a ball the head tightly to hook eye; finish thread back of head, between head and hackle.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My favorite carpenter ant pattern is a Wright’s Royal.
(It is also my favorite caddis pattern and hopper pattern). I had one’s wing twist to the side one time and it kinda floated like a sideways downed ant. I saw no difference in the effectiveness from a wing in the intended position

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Can I get a recipe? That looks killer and I want to tie some for an August trip.

Edit: Spoke too soon, thanks for posting that!
@Gary Knowels … that fly is about 3/4” OA…for the big termites and carpenter ants that seem to take flight May/June on my local thin blue line. I haven’t tied them any smaller (cause the fish I chase like ‘em big…size matters 😳), but I bet smaller would work too.