White Thread Technique for Chironomids

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Nicely done… too bad you couldn’t use a light solid background color (light blue) behind the vise to see the tie better. Maybe on the next one..

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well I learned some new things. Appreciate it.

May I get geeky on your gunmetal flashabou...Is that "6916"? My seems a little more dark bronze than yours

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
May I get geeky on your gunmetal flashabou...Is that "6916"? My seems a little more dark bronze than yours
Cracked me up - I remember reading somewhere about comparing the dye lots of Flashabou's "gunmetal" offerings and how one was so much better than the other (mine is FLA6916 which probably isn't the one that won the competition :)). I think all of us are a bit geeky (my daughter tells me I'm a nerd).

@Irafly - my fishing buddy Keith uses your technique and it has been very rewarding at times. TXS!

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well I learned some new things. Appreciate it.

I bought a pack a long time ago, my dog found it, messed it up quite a bit, and now the remnants sit it a ziplock bag😂. So I have no idea!
Does gunmetal = ASB?
Kind of, it basically does the same thing, but as tkww mentioned ASB is slightly transparent and this stuff isn’t.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I’ve been a convert to this since Ira first brought it up on the old site. I use buzzer wrap from Togens which is transparent/translucent (?), ASB is fine but it is slightly thicker and you have to cut it but really each to their own, like the rib# it’s all a bit subjective but who really knows. I aim for 7 but don’t care if I’m out. I got this holoshimmer from Joanne’s, can’t recall the price but not $5 for 30m like Veevus.

Dave

713A1B18-ADDE-4CBC-B3E8-16314AE8292F.jpeg

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
@Irafly showed a similar technique years ago, coloring the white thread for a tail tag, and I've used it since then for the red throat on thunder creek minnows - so much easier than adding another material!

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Irafly showed a similar technique years ago, coloring the white thread for a tail tag, and I've used it since then for the red throat on thunder creek minnows - so much easier than adding another material!
Thunder Creek is an under-rated classic. I buddy of mine, Michael T, tied me some and I had fun at Diamond Lake stripping streamers.

T

Tombraider

Pot holes cronies

Attachments

• 20230503_080127.jpg
    20230503_080127.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230504_084751.jpg
    20230504_084751.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 10