Which Fly to buy

Tom.S

Smolt
So after much research on flies and reading many opinions I have come to a recognize I have a problem. Articles read buy a leach it’s a solid go to, buy a stone fly it’s a solid go to, buy an Adam’s parachute it’s a solid go to, buy a wooly burger, yep you guessed it, it’s a solid go to. One thing was notice almost every article I read referenced an olive green underbelly. Anyway I either have a beginner’s solid go to fly tackle box or I just spent money aimlessly. Lol

What is your solid go to fly for the Yakima river? I’ve read on this forum many agree with a SF. I’m guessing one in olive green.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
One word of caution. Tying your own flies is great, no doubt about it. i don't ;simply because I have several buddies who are class A tiers and keep me well stocked and it just doesn't interest me.

Now the word of caution. Do NOT become one of those tiers that insists on using only flies that they tied themselves. I have been fishing many a day with guys who were in that boat (see what I did there) and struggled due to them just not having the right kind of pattern. I have one buddy who just only uses flies he has tied for redfish. They are ok. Most days. But in general they are too small especially if the water is dirty. So he handicaps himself by not using the right pattern. Now its fine to say well its his loss. Well that's only party correct. When I am the one on the poling platform poling my butt off to get him a shot at that 20# belly crawler and he throws his size 4 crab that gets ignored.....well that impacts me.....lol
Cant say I agree with your conclusion, because fishing my own ties exclusively is pushing me to be a better, more varied tier and is pushing me even more to be a better fisherman. Your buddy doesnt need a bigger crab to get noticed necessarily, maybe he needs to present his smaller crab in a way that gets it noticed and eaten. Not saying "the right fly" isnt a part of the equation, but there are dudes who could hook that redfish with a sz14 pheasant nymph more consistently than I probably can with the "perfect fly."

Not saying that tying flies is for everyone, or that tying your own is inherently better. But if you are going to tie and desire to catch fish on your ties, I strongly recommend making the commitment to doing so and letting your failures inform your tying and your fishing.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cant say I agree with your conclusion, because fishing my own ties exclusively is pushing me to be a better, more varied tier and is pushing me even more to be a better fisherman. Your buddy doesnt need a bigger crab to get noticed necessarily, maybe he needs to present his smaller crab in a way that gets it noticed and eaten. Not saying "the right fly" isnt a part of the equation, but there are dudes who could hook that redfish with a sz14 pheasant nymph more consistently than I probably can with the "perfect fly."

Not saying that tying flies is for everyone, or that tying your own is inherently better. But if you are going to tie and desire to catch fish on your ties, I strongly recommend making the commitment to doing so and letting your failures inform your tying and your fishing.
No he needs a bigger crab or even better a 5" baitfish. When the water is 2ft deep and muddy and the fish are in their winter time mode they want a big ass bite of food. The time to correct you fly is at the vice at home for next time. But today when you are on the water why would you insist on using the wrong thing just because you tied it? Now feel free to get your butt back up on the poling platform and push me around if you want to sulk because you can't get them to eat "your fly." :ROFLMAO:

I totally agree with tying and figuring things out makes you a better tier which can lead to making you a better fisherman. But again that should be lessons learned for next time. Today don't get hung up on the my flies only thing.