What's your favorite rod?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I take back my favorite rod, mentioned earlier; the 10ft 6in 3wt Cortland Nymph Series.

I had only used it a few times, for dry fly fishing with a 3wt line, in the past. I spent a whole day doing that, on the weekend, and wasn't enthralled about it. It isn't bad, but I think the action is too fast for me. Unfortunately, that is exactly what made it my favorite nymphing rod.

I have to go back to my old 10ft 3wt Echo Carbon XL, as my favorite rod. It's a bit sloppy, for nymphing. However, it is much better at fishing dries. I've concluded that it is a better all-rounder, for me. I actually own three of them; one for me, one for teaching friends and one for my wife.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I take back my favorite rod, mentioned earlier; the 10ft 6in 3wt Cortland Nymph Series.

I had only used it a few times, for dry fly fishing with a 3wt line, in the past. I spent a whole day doing that, on the weekend, and wasn't enthralled about it. It isn't bad, but I think the action is too fast for me. Unfortunately, that is exactly what made it my favorite nymphing rod.

I have to go back to my old 10ft 3wt Echo Carbon XL, as my favorite rod. It's a bit sloppy, for nymphing. However, it is much better at fishing dries. I've concluded that it is a better all-rounder, for me. I actually own three of them; one for me, one for teaching friends and one for my wife.
I've currently got a 4wt Rio Versi-Tip on my 10ft 3wt Echo Carbon XL and it casts great. Pretty versatile setup!

Ellisonj

Freshly Spawned
Sage foundation 490 is my favorite, with a SA infinity taper. Good yarny indicator rod, hopper/chubby, or a small dry. I mostly fish the Yakima and tributaries. For me it just works. Tight loops when I need it, and open loops for indicator or Hop/drop no problems.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don't have a "favorite" rod - perhaps my old, original series Sage 590-2 LL would qualify but I donated it to PHW - so this response is a rod report:
I spent six days in the Yakutat Borough fishing a small creek, a larger river and the salt with an 890-4 Echo Ion XL paired with my old carp line (Rio Grand WF8F) and later with a Rio Single Handed Spey WF8F. The rod cast both lines with large, heavy flies very well and handled fresh ocean run (and ocean caught) coho, some pushing 15 pounds. Two thumbs up on this rod (if only it had a hook keeper :cool:). 20220912_113133.jpg

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I don't have a "favorite" rod - perhaps my old, original series Sage 590-2 LL would qualify but I donated it to PHW - so this response is a rod report:
I spent six days in the Yakutat Borough fishing a small creek, a larger river and the salt with an 890-4 Echo Ion XL paired with my old carp line (Rio Grand WF8F) and later with a Rio Single Handed Spey WF8F. The rod cast both lines with large, heavy flies very well and handled fresh ocean run (and ocean caught) coho, some pushing 15 pounds. Two thumbs up on this rod (if only it had a hook keeper :cool:). View attachment 33121

Sounds like a nice rod and an enjoyable trip. Thank you for the report!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've owned an awful lot of great rods over the years but if I was forced to choose just a single rod as my all time favorite it would be the Orvis Helios 3D 6 wt. Just an unbelievable rod. Power, accuracy, touch, it's light as hell. Absolutely perfect.

Some other personal favorites:

Scott Meridian 691
Sage XP 691
Sage Z Axis 590
Redington Vapen Black 1290
Echo Boost Blue 1290
Redington Link 890

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've owned an awful lot of great rods over the years but if I was forced to choose just a single rod as my all time favorite it would be the Orvis Helios 3D 6 wt. Just an unbelievable rod. Power, accuracy, touch, it's light as hell. Absolutely perfect.

Some other personal favorites:

Scott Meridian 691
Sage XP 691
Sage Z Axis 590
Redington Vapen Black 1290
Echo Boost Blue 1290
Redington Link 890
That’s an impressive list and giving kudos
To the mid price rods too. Redington and Echo are no joke. They put out some nice rods. That ECHO EPR is serious mojo!! IMHO

Last edited: