What's in your vise?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Hydropsyche Larva, a free-living, or net-spinning caddis. I have seen these things all over the west, and in plentiful numbers, especially here on the East slopes of the Cascades. Here is a pic from the web:

View attachment 51258
And then here are some pics I have taken out with my kids trying to introduce them to aquatic entomology:
View attachment 51261
I think this one is actually Rhyacophila
View attachment 51262

And then in this one if you scan around the petri dish there looks to be a mixture of Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila along with a bunch of different mayflies and stoneflies and some other stuff.
View attachment 51266

I came up with a super simple fly a long time ago that worked fine for both the Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila...boring to tie, but worked fine. And then I just kind of stopped fishing them, and didn't replace it with another pattern...I just kind of stopped fishing these free living caddis Larva. Which is really dumb with the prevalence of these insects in the majority of the rivers that I fish. This winter I decided that was going to change. I needed to come up with a pattern for this insect that I was stoked to fish. I do like a little realism in my flies, but I am also trying to not make them a pain in the rear to tie. And of course I am looking for durability.

After a dozen or so attempts that i wasnt happy with for one reason or another, I finally was able to combine parts of each of those flies to come up with this:

View attachment 51269
View attachment 51270
View attachment 51271
View attachment 51272

Now I'm just waiting for caddis season!
Wow!!!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
The Hydropsyche Larva, a free-living, or net-spinning caddis. I have seen these things all over the west, and in plentiful numbers, especially here on the East slopes of the Cascades. Here is a pic from the web:

View attachment 51258
And then here are some pics I have taken out with my kids trying to introduce them to aquatic entomology:
View attachment 51261
I think this one is actually Rhyacophila
View attachment 51262

And then in this one if you scan around the petri dish there looks to be a mixture of Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila along with a bunch of different mayflies and stoneflies and some other stuff.
View attachment 51266

I came up with a super simple fly a long time ago that worked fine for both the Hydropsyche and Rhyacophila...boring to tie, but worked fine. And then I just kind of stopped fishing them, and didn't replace it with another pattern...I just kind of stopped fishing these free living caddis Larva. Which is really dumb with the prevalence of these insects in the majority of the rivers that I fish. This winter I decided that was going to change. I needed to come up with a pattern for this insect that I was stoked to fish. I do like a little realism in my flies, but I am also trying to not make them a pain in the rear to tie. And of course I am looking for durability.

After a dozen or so attempts that i wasnt happy with for one reason or another, I finally was able to combine parts of each of those flies to come up with this:

View attachment 51269
View attachment 51270
View attachment 51271
View attachment 51272

Now I'm just waiting for caddis season!

Oh yeah, that doesn't look like a pain in the rear to tie AT ALL!!! :rolleyes:

That's a gorgeous pattern, thanks for sharing!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Teal_Winged_Butcher_1080.jpg

Teal Winged Butcher

Winged Wet Fly

Hook - Mustad S80AP
Thread - Black
Tail - Bunch of scarlet or red hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel or wire
Body - Flat silver tinsel
Hackle - Black hen
Wing - Strip of teal flank; rolled

Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland - Stan Headley

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Teal_Winged_Butcher_1080.jpg

Teal Winged Butcher

Winged Wet Fly

Hook - Mustad S80AP
Thread - Black
Tail - Bunch of scarlet or red hackle fibers
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel or wire
Body - Flat silver tinsel
Hackle - Black hen
Wing - Strip of teal flank; rolled

Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland - Stan Headley
Cool fly

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I like the orange collar myself. I tend to put that type of hot spot on nearly every baitfish pattern I tie for our local saltwater fishing.
Does it help? No idea other than I have a lot of confidence in using flies with it.
SF

Very much agreed. I've been tying and fishing a lot of patterns with an orange collar this winter. Long been a favorite for baitfish patterns but am adding it to more and more patterns this year. Can I say it absolutely makes a difference? Nope. But I dig it, and I haven't tied a pattern with an orange collar that hasn't caught fish yet, so there's that

Scottp

Legend
Dessie Paul’s Pink Panther (variation)

52649563209_9bbbe748b9_c.jpg

52649776283_b21b748c36_c.jpg

52649746010_5c473ef435_c.jpg

Made a few changes to the original.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 fluoro pink
tail - yarn fuchsia
rib - UniStretch fuchsia
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - olive
1st shoulder - hackle fuchsia
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh yeah, that doesn't look like a pain in the rear to tie AT ALL!!! :rolleyes:

That's a gorgeous pattern, thanks for sharing!

It's actually not bad at all! Dead serious!

Build up the body with some lead and 140D thread. Tie in dyed peacock, floss for rib, and latex. Wrap body, color with sharpies. Rib, tying down peacock as you go. Don't cut rib, tie in thin skin at the eye, dub the thorax, and secure Carapace with rib. Pick out dubbing and coat with UV.

Not as easy as dubbing a body, Ribbing, and a few wraps of herl or Ice dub...but that fly is boring 😴 😃

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Looks like a great swinging fly. Can’t wait for the olive one.
20230125_191935.jpg20230125_192047.jpg20230125_191741.jpg20230125_191835.jpg
I didn't have olive ostrich so went with a light brown. Rear half is olive dyed peacock, front half is spawn simi seal in an olive color. Olive guinea for the collar and olive hackle palmered from the rear for the body hackle then olive saddle hackle for the wing. Have a good evening20230125_194453.jpg

Last edited:

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
View attachment 51394View attachment 51395View attachment 51396View attachment 51397
I didn't have olive ostrich so went with a light brown. Rear half is olive dyed peacock, front half is spawn simi seal in an olive color. Olive guinea for the collar and olive hackle palmered from the rear for the body hackle then olive saddle hackle for the wing. Have a good eveningView attachment 51405

You better hang on tight when you swing that and make sure your knot is good. That’s going to get hammered. Love it. Just curious, what hook did you use?

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Western-Woofta-1080.jpg

Western Woofta

Chironomid

Hook - TFS 2305
Bead - Black nickel, brass
Gills - White Uni floss or uni stretch
Thread - Red, black and burnt orange
Butt - Red thread
Ribbing - X-Small silver wire
Body - Black thread
Thorax - Fuchsia holographic tinsel
Wing Pads - Burnt orange thread
UV Resin

Phil Rowley Video

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Sedgehog

52650478514_920ae7a17b_c.jpg

52650689288_dd7c173e0f_c.jpg

52649714982_bddd7131c0_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tag - medium tinsel opal
wing(s) - deer hair
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear
shoulder - hen grizzly dyed neon peach (2 Tsp Rit Neon Yellow, 1/8 Tsp Rit Coral/2 cups water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Blue-Sunoco-1080.jpg

Blue Sunoco

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Glo-Brite #14 blue
Tag - Blue wire
Tail - Dyed blue guinea fowl
Ribbing - Blue wire
Body - Tying thread
Wing - Dye blue squirrel tail
Collar - Yellow hen

My grandfather owned a small restaurant in the mill town of Taftville, Connecticut serving the best damn cheeseburgers around. In the basement of his restaurant, he used to make his own liquor/moonshine (1920's 30's) and serve it to his patrons. As my father told me years ago, it got to be known as "Blue Sunoco". Hence the tribute to my grandfather (he passed away long before I was born).

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
First attempt at posting a photo. Been toying with marabou winter steelhead flies. Been having problems with getting good focus in macro mode. I think the quality of photos posted by others on this thread is amazing. And I've looked and admired all of them. I used yellow, pink and red marabou with a black schlappen collar.

Attachments

• 104_0330.JPG
    104_0330.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 17