What's in your vise?

Wes Penny

Steelhead
Wowsa...especially the segmentation! Would appreciate a materials list, if possible, Wes.
Thanks 😊
Main body is Textreme green PolyFloss but any green thread will be fine. Tail is also the PolyFloss with peacock midge flash, sm amber wire, burnt orange SLF spikey squirrel dubbing, rust brown deer hair. The resin segments are clear resin tinted with ink from a felt marker. If you’re interested in the resin segmentation I can add a quick video. Cheers!!

Otter

Steelhead
Thanks 😊
Main body is Textreme green PolyFloss but any green thread will be fine. Tail is also the PolyFloss with peacock midge flash, sm amber wire, burnt orange SLF spikey squirrel dubbing, rust brown deer hair. The resin segments are clear resin tinted with ink from a felt marker. If you’re interested in the resin segmentation I can add a quick video. Cheers!!
Thanks very much. Yes, a quick video on your resin segmentation would be excellent! I've never seen that effect before.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks 😊
Put the video up again! Great to see another of your awesome ties!

Wes Penny

Steelhead
Thanks very much. Yes, a quick video on your resin segmentation would be excellent! I've never seen that effect before.
This is a quick how to but if you search me on YouTube I have a couple more detailed videos. One important part of this is that you want to put a thin coat of clear resin on just the top of your thread body and then wrap the wire.
This allows the coloured resin segment application to be smooth and easier to apply. The wire also won’t slide on the wrap because it can grab into the thread on the underside of the body.

Otter

Steelhead
Thanks, Wes. I was guessing, because my vision isn't too sharp these days. But at least I can drive on good days.....better on wide roads with no traffic!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Sawtooth-1080.jpg

Sawtooth

Steelhead

Hook - Single Salmon
Thread - Black
Tail - Speckled guinea fowl barbs
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - Orange chenille
Hackle - Guinea fowl tied on as a collar and tied back and down
Wing - Fox squirrel tail tied over the body
Cheeks - Jungle cock eyes or substitute

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is a quick how to but if you search me on YouTube I have a couple more detailed videos. One important part of this is that you want to put a thin coat of clear resin on just the top of your thread body and then wrap the wire.
This allows the coloured resin segment application to be smooth and easier to apply. The wire also won’t slide on the wrap because it can grab into the thread on the underside of the body.

I like this marker/resin technique...

RichS

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fruit Cocktail- Dave Whitlock- or as close as I can do to the orginal
DSCN2672.JPG
Hook: B10S #1 or size to preference
Tail: 2 yellow and 1 chartreuse/grizzly rooster hackle on each side splayed outward
Body: Yellow then green then black then red then orange deer trimmed to a popper shape
Legs: yellow, green, black and orange silicone
Eyes: 7 mm yellow doll eyes