What's in your vise?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Am I missing a secret section of tying material or do you bass anglers accept the 1/2 pack of rubber legs/flexifloss used per fly?
I believe the source is fishingskirts.com essentially the same leg material as fly shops but cheaper and a larger quantity. I haven’t ordered from them, but I will once I run out of my current stash (it’s going quickly ;) )

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Here’s take 2 of the baitfish pattern I tried yesterday. This time I used Steve Farrar Blend winging material in “bleeding minnow” color and a topping of pearl green Angel Hair. The hook this time is a #6 Daichi 2456. (I wish I could find a black nickel hook in this size and shape.)IMG_4173.jpeg
Could probably do with about half the amount of the main winging material and again shorten it up. Maybe the 3rd try will be the charm.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Want to add a really light bonefish fly to my box for extra shallow flats. I liked this pattern from AK Fly Fishing GoodsWorm .jpg

Tried it without any weight and a weed guard since it won't ride point up.

Bonefish Worm.jpg

I tried putting the chenille in my vise and putting UV resin on the end to create a small section stiff enough to tie on. Figured I can cut the marabou off if the fish don't like it. The tail got away from me as I was doing the whip finish - the thread slipped off the resin coated section. Any better ideas on how to get the marabou on there or do I just need to practice this method?

Tail.jpg

I think it needs a little longer hackle too.

Divad

Whitefish
I also really like their Northern Lights flash as a sub for Kreelex, and their MS dubbing for all kinds of buggy looks
Pull my arm, add to cart. Holy color gamut: copper black, copper hot gold, copper brown, copper white copper CRACK! 🤤 Now let’s check Olive…

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Here’s take 2 of the baitfish pattern I tried yesterday. This time I used Steve Farrar Blend winging material in “bleeding minnow” color and a topping of pearl green Angel Hair. The hook this time is a #6 Daichi 2456. (I wish I could find a black nickel hook in this size and shape.)View attachment 66171
Could probably do with about half the amount of the main winging material and again shorten it up. Maybe the 3rd try will be the charm.
Nice fly! Look at the Ahrex salt series hooks, like the NS110:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Cardinal-1080.jpg

Cardinal

Body - White chenille
Hackle - White
Wing - Cardinal was original; substitute with claret or red duck quill

Trout - Ray Bergman

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think Billy uses actual lure skirts. Mine above is tied with FTD bug legs ($1.35 per 200 strand pack) and that's actually less than a tenth of a pack for each color. They're kind of curly, so it looks bulky but is lightweight and the curly strands wiggle a lot in the water.
THIS! Kreelex is so damn expensive compared to the northern lights. I loaded up on NL at the fly tying show in Albany
Great...I checked out their website, and now have another hole in the universe into which I can pour money into...

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It ain't terrible (by my standards lol)
Size 8 hook.
Layers of craft fur
Little flash
Dubbing loop with combed back craft fur to build the head.
And the eyes.

Never even heard of a dubbing loop until a few days ago. Love messing around with them now. Still learning it though, obviously

20230525_201242.jpg