What's in your vise?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Steelhead Sculpins size #8 for Sea Runs. My take on Harry Lemires pattern. If memory serves, he tied it with three "tails" all facing the same way giving the tail a bend or orientation with the thought being that when swung, the current would act on the tail and cause movement. I used only two feathers back to back.
If anyone has a photo (from book) of the actual fly I would appreciate it. I have never really seen one and am only going by the pattern from Trey Combs second book sans photo.

View attachment 45046
Beautiful ties Jack
I’m seeing the red higher
I’ve always wondered about the best place for it

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
@Divad was nice enough to send me some FNF "Jelly" (not to be confused with "Slush Jelly") in "pellet" (is that color or flavor?). He included a couple of peacock breast feathers. I was looking at the pellet (flavored, colored) Jelly and the breast feathers wondering if the two could be used together. I tied dyed olive pine squirrel zonker on for a tail, wound some pellet Jelly up and tied on one peacock breast feather for hackle. Wetted, I think it looks pretty fishy. View attachment 45029View attachment 45030
Ya know, that might work as asculpin pattern in darker water, or a good general night fishing pattern

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Steelhead Sculpins size #8 for Sea Runs. My take on Harry Lemires pattern. If memory serves, he tied it with three "tails" all facing the same way giving the tail a bend or orientation with the thought being that when swung, the current would act on the tail and cause movement. I used only two feathers back to back.
If anyone has a photo (from book) of the actual fly I would appreciate it. I have never really seen one and am only going by the pattern from Trey Combs second book sans photo.

View attachment 45046

The fly pic came from Trey Combs’ Steelhead Fly Fishing plate 8. The tying recipe was on page 332. For some reason, I remember seeing the fly in another book, however I cannot find it. Hope this helps @Jack Devlin.

Attachments

• 22B61663-5775-4717-BBEC-90916164C964.jpeg
    22B61663-5775-4717-BBEC-90916164C964.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 32
  • A7E82D36-9BFB-4208-B7EE-5D262A97C381.jpeg
    A7E82D36-9BFB-4208-B7EE-5D262A97C381.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 32

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
The fly pic came from Trey Combs’ Steelhead Fly Fishing plate 8. The tying recipe was on page 332. For some reason, I remember seeing the fly in another book, however I cannot find it. Hope this helps @Jack Devlin.
Thanks much. I have that book but darn it I missed the picture. I see I used muskrat instead of pine squirrel for the beard. Photo looks like grizzly. I'm out of suitable grizzly. Thanks again. I'll get the book out and look for the photo.
Jack

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Drain-s-20-Original-1080.jpg

Drain's 20

Steelhead

Wes Drain of Seattle, Washington, originated this pattern. He named the fly after taking a fish over twenty pounds on the Skagit River, setting a Washington state record at that time.

Hook - Alec Jackson Spey (Daiichi 2051), Size5

Thread - Black

Tip/Tag - Silver tinsel and fluorescent yellow floss

Tail - Golden pheasant tippets under yellow hackle fibers

Ribbing - Silver oval tinsel
Body - Chinese Red Uni Wool (or Fl Red Floss)

Collar - Purple hen hackle

Underwing - Red-dyed Golden Pheasant Breast Feather*

Wing - Natural Grey Squirrel accented with sparse Holographic Silver Lite-Brite**

Cheeks(optional) - Jungle Cock

*I used red schlappen hackle fibers

**I omitted the lite brite, none on hand

Scott Howell Drain's 20

Recipe and Picture of Drain's 20
www.angelfire.com

There are other recipes for this fly. This is the one I chose.
One of my all time favorite cold water steelhead flies. I just replenished a row in one of my Wheatleys. The inconsistencies may be do to excess consumption of brown water.IMG_20221122_102415501.jpg

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

View attachment 45046
I have used the Lemire's sculpin to great success over the years. My current incarnation of the fly. I substituted the red wool for dyed tippets.IMG_20220123_113104732_HDR.jpg
I'll tie my interpretation of the original in the next couple of days and post. The fly just works. A great pocket picker!

Scottp

Legend
RQC Muddler

52565316429_7f8c55fb43_c.jpg

52565565678_aa39b5b1c2_c.jpg

52565565633_8119db54ca_c.jpg

The quail has some subtle markings that look pretty neat; I expect the fish won’t notice or care one way or another. This should work as a spruce moth although I’ll put it to work before August rolls around.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 tan
rib - small wire gold
body - bleached hare’s ear
hackle - ginger
shoulder - bobwhite quail body feather
collar/head - caribou

Regards,
Scott

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Kfish nice fly! are those bodies all spun craft fur? I tie a similar bug - like a kinky muddler with craft fur tail but use sculpting flash fiber for the body but they take some time with trimming etc. seems like your fly would get down pretty quickly and be quicker to tie

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
@Kfish nice fly! are those bodies all spun craft fur? I tie a similar bug - like a kinky muddler with craft fur tail but use sculpting flash fiber for the body but they take some time with trimming etc. seems like your fly would get down pretty quickly and be quicker to tie
Thanks! Yes it's spun craft fur in a dubbing loop. It does take a while to trim to shape ;)