What's in your vise?

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Those look great to me! I'd have a tough time choosing which one to fish first. My only suggestion would be to add some options in chartreuse.
Thanks - appreciate the feedback and direction on chartreuse, I was wondering about that and will do so for sure. Gotta admit I was blown away by your TR recently from Vancouver island, well done and for someone like me just scratching the surface very helpful with the learning curve.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks - appreciate the feedback and direction on chartreuse, I was wondering about that and will do so for sure. Gotta admit I was blown away by your TR recently from Vancouver island, well done and for someone like me just scratching the surface very helpful with the learning curve.
I was also blown away by my Canadian experience! I knew nobody would believe me if I didn't post up some photos because 1. I'm a fisherman and 2. I'm not much farther along on the learning curve! 🤣

Everyone seems to have their confidence patterns and colors. I'm a big fan of shrimpy patterns, buggers or "squid" patterns, and Clousers. Color-wise I like pink, chartreuse, olive, pearl, and tan. Mix/match colors sizes patterns as necessary. You seem to have just about all of my preferred bases covered.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Prince-Charlie-1080.jpg

Prince Charlie

Winged Wet Fly

Hook – Mustad 3399 or equivalent

Thread – Black

Tail – Red floss

Ribbing – Flat gold tinsel

Body – Red floss

Hackle – Black hen

Wing – Mottled partridge tail fibers

Two Hundred Popular Flies – Tom Stewart

Scottp

Legend
Brownsville Scruffy Muddler (variation)

52468434010_15f8ce4154_c.jpg

52468248909_6920367159_c.jpg

52467472442_e68b49aa02_c.jpg

Made a few minor changes to the original; heavier hackle, a shoulder and denser head because I want it to float.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 red
tag - Depth Ray fluoro red/resin
tail - bronze mallard
rib - small wire gold
body - hare’s ear/Simi Seal red
hackle - dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed claret
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Brownsville Scruffy Muddler (variation)

52468434010_15f8ce4154_c.jpg

52468248909_6920367159_c.jpg

52467472442_e68b49aa02_c.jpg

Made a few minor changes to the original; heavier hackle, a shoulder and denser head because I want it to float.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 red
tag - Depth Ray fluoro red/resin
tail - bronze mallard
rib - small wire gold
body - hare’s ear/Simi Seal red
hackle - dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed claret
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott
I think that color scheme would be a good one.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
More of "The Forgotten".......
IMG_1766 (1).jpg
I'm going to soak a couple of these tomorrow on a large reservoir and then Wednesday on a small hike-in bait fish lake that reportedly has a few LARGE brown trout (or at least used to).

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
More of "The Forgotten".......
View attachment 39226
I'm going to soak a couple of these tomorrow on a large reservoir and then Wednesday on a small hike-in bait fish lake that reportedly has a few LARGE brown trout (or at least used to).
I'm going to ask a question that may be dumb but I dont know the answer. I think that's simi seal, does it come on a center thread or wrap or is it loose and its tied in via a dubbing loop? Thanks in advance! They remind me of patterns my dad/uncles would fish many years ago.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm going to ask a question that may be dumb but I dont know the answer. I think that's simi seal, does it come on a center thread or wrap or is it loose and its tied in via a dubbing loop? Thanks in advance! They remind me of patterns my dad/uncles would fish many years ago.
It is Simiseal, it comes as loose dubbing and I use waxed Ultra Wire or waxed Ultra Thread to form a dubbing loop that I spin and then tease out. I had trouble with the wire dubbing loops sliding on the hook shank when using a release tool to unhook fish, even with thread wraps on the hook shank. I've started coating the last few turns of thread with super glue before I do the whip finish. This seems to make a more durable fly.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

If you look up a video on how to tie a simiseal leech you’ll see how it comes. It comes in a baggy like any dubbing, it’s just a tad longer at about 1” and you preen it to orient the fibers

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve been on a major silver kick. They been producing with all the anchovies around.
This should be enough for myself and any guests for a few trips.
SF

1E677792-0A77-47D8-A44B-37D2E2F4D5A3.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
It is Simiseal, it comes as loose dubbing and I use waxed Ultra Wire or waxed Ultra Thread to form a dubbing loop that I spin and then tease out. I had trouble with the wire dubbing loops sliding on the hook shank when using a release tool to unhook fish, even with thread wraps on the hook shank. I've started coating the last few turns of thread with super glue before I do the whip finish. This seems to make a more durable fly.
Didn’t spooled mohair have that same kinda look when wrapped and brushed out?

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Donna-May-1080.jpg

Donna May

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent
Thread - Black
Tail - Red ibis (or substitute) and several fibers of pintail or teal
Butt - Peacock herl
Ribbing - Flat gold tinsel
Body - 1/2 orange seals fur, 1/2 green seals fur or wool
Hackle - Orange hen
Wing - Light blue bucktail and badger, mixed

Two Hundred Popular Flies - Tom Stewart

Scottp

Legend
Clan Chief Crippler (variation)

52468702016_3ceb4cb882_c.jpg

52468714496_fc5e52d48f_c.jpg

52468700446_11d407c7a0_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tag - tinsel silver
rib - small wire silver
body - Ice Dub black
hackle - grizzly dyed red
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body feather yellow
2nd shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
collar - pheasant rump dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water, overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Endrick-Spider-1080.jpg

Endrick Spider

Hook - Mustad 3399 or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tail - Pheasant tail fibers

Abdomen - Pheasant tail fibers

Rib - Fine copper wire

Thorax - Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown partridge

101 Favorite Nymphs and Wet Flies: History, Tying Tips, and Fishing Strategies - David Klausmeyer

Scottp

Legend
Claret Octopus (variation)

52470971634_2f75018fb7_c.jpg

52470194597_735d518f9e_c.jpg

52470942359_e1ac9da538_c.jpg

Viable fly or an exercise in seeing how much stuff I could fit on a hook? Even if it’s just the latter, it’s good practice in thread control and proportions.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 wine
tail - yarn flame
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub claret
hackles - dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water), magenta (1/2 Tsp Rit Fuchsia, 1/8 Tsp Rit Wine 2 cups water)
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
2nd shoulder - golden pheasant body feather dyed claret
collar - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott