Whats in your smoker?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, may I have some of the, uh, salmon colored salmon, please?
Only reason the smoker is firing up is because I have a lot of salmon colored salmon to put in there. Otherwise I wouldn't waste perfectly good chunks of pecan wood for that.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Only reason the smoker is firing up is because I have a lot of salmon colored salmon to put in there. Otherwise I wouldn't waste perfectly good chunks of pecan wood for that.
Are you having pecan wood shipped or is it sourced locally?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Are you having pecan wood shipped or is it sourced locally?
My grandpa used to swear by using Vine Maple. He worked in the logging industry so he could get his hands on a lot of it in the slash piles, I'm sure there were beefier specimens back then also.

Also is Alder decent? We have lots of alder around here and I'm always seeing articles mentioning alder for fish, mesquite for beef, hickory for pork etc etc.. But never really hear people around here "loving" it.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
My grandpa used to swear by using Vine Maple. He worked in the logging industry so he could get his hands on a lot of it in the slash piles, I'm sure there were beefier specimens back then also.

Also is Alder decent? We have lots of alder around here and I'm always seeing articles mentioning alder for fish, mesquite for beef, hickory for pork etc etc.. But never really hear people around here "loving" it.

I only smoke fish with alder, it isn't smoked salmon if not 🙃

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin

I used alder for years. It's good. I discovered pecan on accident, grabbing it instead of alder one time, then being blown away by the results. I'm a pecan smoke guy now when it comes to salmon. As good as alder is, I'd never pick it over pecan again if pecan is available.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Thanks Wayne, I just dump it in a 1 gallon zip lock for a day or more. I dont measure it out but is approximately something like this.

Marinated Tri Tip
1 1/2 cups Sweet Chillie Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic

It's great on chicken, prawns too!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter

My grandpa was 100% alder. I find it's less forgiving than other smokes, too much and it's TERRIBLE quick. Walnut is also great.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
For smoke, I've started using pecan, cherry and maple for just about everything. Mostly pecan and cherry.

Thanks Wayne, I just dump it in a 1 gallon zip lock for a day or more. I dont measure it out but is approximately something like this.

Marinated Tri Tip
1 1/2 cups Sweet Chillie Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic

It's great on chicken, prawns too!
That looks really good. I'm filing this one away.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter

You can smoke fish with any wood you like, as long as it's alder.

F'in perfect wood for fish. In my opinion, fish of all species. A nice, mild smoke.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Vine Maple is the cat's meow for fish. Real apple is excellent, too. Cherry is great for ribs. Mountain mahogany or mesquite make for good cow parts, as does pear. Straight oak can get pretty harsh, but an oak/fruitwood mix can be amazing. I have been told, but do not know if it is fact, that many of the bagged shavings sold for smoking are alder that has been treated with chemical flavoring agents to smell like apple, etc.

For folks new to smoking, I found that clouds of dense white smoke produces a bitter product reminiscent of licking railroad ties. I shoot for a nice thin blue smoke. My mentors from half a century ago were adamant that smoking woods should be debarked before using.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I didn't take a picture, but I made some chili. Put the meat (a mix of ground beef and chorizo mixed in to a big patty) on a rack over the chili so it smokes and the drippings go in to the chili. Mix it all together after the meat is done and cook for a little longer. It's pretty damn good

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Friend got taken on a guided trip last month. I told him I'd smoke whatever he wanted from his fish. Turns out his guide really teaches 'it'll smoke up good" to the clients.

Pack of coho for reference.
I just gagged a little and had to turn away.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have a friend that loves pecan for red meat and plan on trying it for that. But my salmon smoker will remain with alder :)
Seriously, just try it once. I was dead set on nothing but alder for years until I used it on accident. Won't go back.