What's Catching You Fish?

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here is that fly from a few pages back. I posted some pics of the fish, but not the fly. This was the fly I tied for a different river and never caught a fish. This fall I decided to give it another go and it flat out killed 'em. I fished it under this October Caddis dry thay was also extremely succesful. But, they ate this nymph so well it was hard to get a nice long drift with the dry. Basically a Spanish Bullet with grizzly soft hackle. I'd love to know what they are taking it for that time of year (late fall)...

20221007_144937.jpg
DSC_0308 - edit 1 (1).jpg
DSC_0309 - edit 1 (1).jpgDSC_0310 - edit 1 (1).jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The red fox squirrel nymph copy worked, but even with a layer and 1/2 of weighted wire it wasn't really heavy enough. I'll work up some other versions too when I get the proper materials. I like this one, Thank You Dave Whitlock, rip. I fished some other flies too, GRHE's and eggs, and this one really held it's own, even if not perfect for the conditions.
20221127_flies.jpg
This one inhaled it, but after cutting the leader I realized I could fish it right out.
20221127_fish1clip.jpg
It was the better part of this double too.
20221127_nymphandegg.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I guess I should call the ones with feather tails March Browns(?), and GRHE have mask tails? Not sure it matters, the magic is in the fur and a nice partridge soft hackle makes them quite enticing. These with an orange prism dub hot spot have been good for several weeks now.
20221201_MarchBrown.jpg
This little guy was so pretty I had to take a picture.
20221201_grhelitlcolr.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I guess I should call the ones with feather tails March Browns(?), and GRHE have mask tails? Not sure it matters, the magic is in the fur and a nice partridge soft hackle makes them quite enticing. These with an orange prism dub hot spot have been good for several weeks now.
View attachment 43419
This little guy was so pretty I had to take a picture.
View attachment 43420
@Tom Butler you are a fish-catching machine!

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to this fly. Not the pattern, but this one fly.
I call it the two-step because of it's simplicity. It's just a collar of blended craft fur, a little fox and some UV flash. Then, gold flash over the back and a head of olive and white laser dub. Adding eyes via UV cure takes the longest.

IMG_1469.jpeg

The above fly has been nothing but great to me. Last thanksgiving it spent a few hours in a cold Montana river, hooking around 15 nice cutthroat and a few browns and rainbows. This year, it spent another few hours in a different, much colder Montana river. At a deep hole, it moved at least one brown every cast for about half an hour with over 25 landed- without me needing to shuffle my feet once.

I ended up breaking the fly off on a bit of submerged structure on the far bank but discovered that the log it was stuck on was reachable, only penance being a soaking wet sleeve.

Now its got a dull hook, a busted up bead, and chips in the UV cure.
Still getting it done back in WA.

IMG_1458.jpeg