What's Catching You Fish?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I hope folks won't be offended at: 1) my lousy filet job, and/or 2) death of a couple trout, and 3) crude fly pattern (fished on a full sinking line)
IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0623.jpg
Thesankers and I met up yesterday and fished Lake Roosevelt. Hot spotting, oh my! The water was 40F, ice in the launch bay but none on the river. I harvested two trout, 18" and 18.5" (as measured by a Spokane Tribal fish checker). The filets are dry brining right now, I'll wash them, and air dry them in the fridge tonight and smoke 'em tomorrow morning. No, they aren't hard to keep lit.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Those are going to be tasty! Well done!

dpenrod

Smolt
This simple leech catches tons of fish for me every year
#10 Umpqua U555 jig hook
Black, brown and olive marabou tail with rootbeer crystal flash
50/50 blend of Olive and Canadian Brown Arizona Simi Seal
5/32 Mocha Firehole Stone tungsten slotted bead
Leech.jpg

Last edited:

dpenrod

Smolt
Rivers? Lakes? Sound? Or all the above
No sounds around these parts. 90% of my fishing is warmwater. Some really nice strip pits I fish about an hour away. Have access to several farm ponds. I fish some smaller lakes. It's a trout catcher at the state parks but also works quite well on the White River in Arkansas. I tie it in black also and it works just as well as the olive. Same hook. Mottled black slotted tungsten bead.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Awesome! Can you provide a material’s list? Thanks
32mm shank
4 turns of polar chenille
lady a tippet collar
Flat braid body
Wing of Finn raccoon color 1
Wing of Finn raccoon color 2
Dubbing loop of fox and predator wrap
Hackle wings
Pheasant rump collar

I leave enough under fur in the Finn coon to keel the fly. Rigged old school, junction tubing keeps an owner ssw riding point up.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Not an awful fillet job at all Buzzy. You want to see butchered fillets go check out some of the local FB fishing groups. Wowee....brutal. Pretty sure some of those folks are cutting their fish with an old spork.

Caught fish on a handful of patterns today but one of these flies caught this fish, which was the only fish I took a picture of.

20200228_184908-01.jpeg20220202_125539-01.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The backs feeling better so I went to a friends to grab a radio to have as well as a phone and went out somewhere safe to play. Well I got down by the water an I'll be
20220205_emergers.jpg
and
20220205_newadult.jpg
The pat's rubber legs was all I needed, cast 45 upstream to the soft seam edge, dead drift down, lift and swing to skate the fly and hold on tight.
20220205_131540.jpg
I really like this rod, but like someone just said, sometimes ya just got to point the tip at it and yank. I was happy, now I want a bigger one. Damn you @clarkman!!!!!!!!
Ya know, a bucket list worthy day of fishing just might be the next time out the door.:)

Last edited:

dpenrod

Smolt
The backs feeling better so I went to a friends to grab a radio to have as well as a phone and went out somewhere safe to play. Well I got down by the water an I'll be
View attachment 3254
and
View attachment 3255
The pat's rubber legs was all I needed, cast 45 upstream to the soft seam edge, dead drift down, lift and swing to skate the fly and hold on tight.
View attachment 3257
I really like this rod, but like someone just said, sometimes ya just got to point the tip at it and yank. I was happy, now I want a bigger one. Damn you @clarkman!!!!!!!!
Ya know, a bucket list worthy day of fishing just might be the next time out the door.:)
What line do you like for your Steffen?